My new 03 XR650R is better than my 07!

5 replies to this topic
  • hondacrf150f1

Posted July 29, 2007 - 05:51 PM

So back about 3 weeks ago i bought a brand new 2007 XR650R...the bike is currently in peaces as im putting together the baja designs kit.

I was surfing SMJ 3 days ago and found an 03 XR650R in Mass that was already plated for $3500. So i let my dad know there was a killer deal availible and now we have 2 BRP's!

I rode this thing to the local bike meeting spot on sunday mornings for breakfast and it rips! With the baffel outa the exhaust, rejetted, and about 40 holes in the airbox, with a uni Filter. Its almost dangerous to accelerate around turns due to the front tire getting very light! Its amazing how much more it has than my 100% stock bike...

I bought it with 15/45 gearing on it and i can get up to 90 before i even relize it! And it had way to much left in it. What kinda gearing is everybody else riding with?

• pwrpapa

Posted July 29, 2007 - 06:05 PM

I run the 15/45 gearing. It seems to be good around town gearing for the street. I'm thinking of trying the 15/43 gearing since all I do is ride my bike on the street an long adventure road trips.

• gaiiin

Posted July 30, 2007 - 04:45 AM

I have 15/45 gearing too, and mine is converted to supermoto... and i think this gearing is ok :) mine is uncorked too, but the airbox is still original!
CHeers Geert

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 30, 2007 - 09:57 AM

So back about 3 weeks ago i bought a brand new 2007 XR650R...the bike is currently in peaces as im putting together the baja designs kit.

I was surfing SMJ 3 days ago and found an 03 XR650R in Mass that was already plated for $3500. So i let my dad know there was a killer deal availible and now we have 2 BRP's!

I rode this thing to the local bike meeting spot on sunday mornings for breakfast and it rips! With the baffel outa the exhaust, rejetted, and about 40 holes in the airbox, with a uni Filter. Its almost dangerous to accelerate around turns due to the front tire getting very light! Its amazing how much more it has than my 100% stock bike...

I bought it with 15/45 gearing on it and i can get up to 90 before i even relize it! And it had way to much left in it. What kinda gearing is everybody else riding with?

There is no comparison with a lightly modded 650R and the stocker. The stocker, with no jetting, airbox, exhaust mods runs like an overweight 250 and does not even idle well. Don't be disappointed in the '07 as it takes very little money to get it running the way it was designed. I'm still running stock gearing and it has been good for everything from singletrack to fire roads in Baja.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted July 30, 2007 - 03:24 PM

Speeking of the idle problem, i know exactly what your talking about...im still in the process of breaking my bike in, ill proble wait till after the first oil change (100 Miles) then do some mild uncorking. Right now the idle fluctates horible! and the bike pulls even after i let off the throttle.

I also have notest how easy it is to start my 03 compared to my 07, cant wait to get it broken in and uncorked so its running properly.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 30, 2007 - 07:00 PM

Speeking of the idle problem, i know exactly what your talking about...im still in the process of breaking my bike in, ill proble wait till after the first oil change (100 Miles) then do some mild uncorking. Right now the idle fluctates horible! and the bike pulls even after i let off the throttle.

I also have notest how easy it is to start my 03 compared to my 07, cant wait to get it broken in and uncorked so its running properly.

Don't wait, get the parts and break it in as it was designed to run. I only started my bike in the garage and shut it down in disgust after about 2 minutes. It's jetting lean to go with the lack of air that it is allowed and the lack of fuel. Open it all up along with the exhaust insert and it will run as designed and run strong! Lean jetted bikes are horrible creatures to start. They sputter, backfire on decel, and generally run very hot. This was to satisfy emissions, not you.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.