xr 650r head light

11 replies to this topic
  • hourout

Posted July 29, 2007 - 05:23 PM

i was thinking of going on some night rides..just trail riding..it seems to me the stock head light is week.. i don't know if it will be usefull on the trails??:ride:
has anyone night rode with the stock setup and how did it go??:excuseme:
if it is too weak any sugestions and priceing to solve the problem..baja designs?? my 650l lighting was greate.. thanks in advance..:worthy:

• Billahjack

Posted July 29, 2007 - 08:29 PM

Yeah, its probably dangerous to ride on a stock R headlight at night. The latest DIRT magazine has a great write-up and comparison on 3 different kinds of light systems with the competing systems in each of the 3 categories. It looked like the best general use system for fast riding at night was a dual light setup with one for broad flood angle and the other with a focused beam to look farther ahead. I believe it was a Baja Designs light.

• ODSC1

Posted July 31, 2007 - 08:55 AM

The easiest and cheapest way to get decent lighting is to change the stock plastic headlight lense with an OEM glass lense. The glass lense works with a 55watt H3 halogen bulb. You can upgrade the 55w bulb to a 100w if you rewind your stator which is a good idea anyways.

The part number for the glass lense is 33120-MK2-671.

Brian

• Triple B

Posted July 31, 2007 - 12:04 PM

Just to try it you can just put the 55w bulb into the stock plastic light that is what I did. I am sure the glass lens has way better optics but the stock plastic lens with a 55w light bulb works good up to 35 to 40 mph in the dirt. Any more that that you will need the glass lens and a 100w bulb

• rm298z

Posted July 31, 2007 - 05:13 PM

I'm trying to peice together a hid setup, just got ballasts off ebay, need to get a bulb and wires.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 31, 2007 - 06:17 PM

The easiest and cheapest way to get decent lighting is to change the stock plastic headlight lense with an OEM glass lense. The glass lense works with a 55watt H3 halogen bulb. You can upgrade the 55w bulb to a 100w if you rewind your stator which is a good idea anyways.

The part number for the glass lense is 33120-MK2-671.

Brian

Good advise. You can also get this from Baja Designs for about $40 and with a rewound stator works pretty well. Someone in here mentioned that they put a 55 watt bulb in the stock light. Not sure how that was done as I have not been able to find a 55 in the stock bulb configuration. Either the BD upgrade or swap to the BD halogen light (that one takes an automotive style H4 bulb). Either way you should rewind the stator to run a higher wattage bulb and then you would still be able to upgrade either of these lights to HID somewhere down the line if you wanted.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NMike

Posted July 31, 2007 - 07:39 PM

I'm trying to peice together a hid setup, just got ballasts off ebay, need to get a bulb and wires.

Posted Image

my ShitBay score..

• cleonard

Posted July 31, 2007 - 09:34 PM

Someone in here mentioned that they put a 55 watt bulb in the stock light. Not sure how that was done as I have not been able to find a 55 in the stock bulb configuration.

I don't know about the stock 650R headlight, but I have been able to upgrade some older XR's with an H3 bulb. It just took a little customizing work with a dremel tool to make it fit. H3's are available everywhere for cheap. If you need one with a little taller bulb a H1 might work out too.

• RdrMtn

Posted August 01, 2007 - 07:31 AM

I don't know about the stock 650R headlight, but I have been able to upgrade some older XR's with an H3 bulb. It just took a little customizing work with a dremel tool to make it fit. H3's are available everywhere for cheap. If you need one with a little taller bulb a H1 might work out too.

So does anyone know for sure if there is a 55W h3 bulb that will work without modification on the 650R?

• cleonard

Posted August 01, 2007 - 11:06 AM

So does anyone know for sure if there is a 55W h3 bulb that will work without modification on the 650R?

As far as I know the best replacement bulb is the PIAA H6M. I'm 99% sure that it is a direct replacement. It is still only 35 watts, but others here on TT have stated that it is an minor upgrade to the light output. Do a search on "H6M" to read about it. The down side is that it costs $30. I wouldn't cough up that much for just a bulb that isn't that much brighter.

• philipstjohn

Posted August 01, 2007 - 01:02 PM

I have a BD's quick release set up now. I understand if I have the stator rewound, I could run an PIAA 80/80 bulb in the kit and it works really well. Anyone doing this now? This might be a cheaper way to go, to get good light without stepping up to race ready stuff. You could get the stator rewound, and buy the BD's front light set up with the 80/80 bulb + electrical parts needed. Then, if you want to upgrade, your ready to step up to any of the high performance set ups. :thumbsup:

• cleonard

Posted August 01, 2007 - 03:54 PM

I have a BD's quick release set up now. I understand if I have the stator rewound, I could run an PIAA 80/80 bulb in the kit and it works really well. Anyone doing this now? This might be a cheaper way to go, to get good light without stepping up to race ready stuff. You could get the stator rewound, and buy the BD's front light set up with the 80/80 bulb + electrical parts needed. Then, if you want to upgrade, your ready to step up to any of the high performance set ups. :thumbsup:

If you have the setup that uses an H4 bulb, you should be able to get a 45 watt bulb without a stator upgrade. I think that it will run a 55 watt as well, but you will get more idle dimming and maybe not enough extra juice to charge a battery if you have one.

The PIAA bulbs do work, but they can be kind of confusing. It's hard to tell what the true wattage is. On some they say "80W output for 55W." You want a real 80 watt bulb. Baja designs sells some different wattage and states the true wattage. I like http://www.rallyligh...om/hella/H4.asp they have a lot of no BS bulbs for not too much $$$.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.