Safe to buy a '99 YZ400F

18 replies to this topic
  • EastBoundAndDown

Posted July 29, 2007 - 04:34 PM

I'm a bit scared of buying a used four stroke. I'm looking at a '99 400F and I guess what's more important than asking if they were considered good bikes would be to ask if it is safe to buy it, because I don't want to spend 1,000 on a rebuild, because obviously if I'm only paying 1500 than I will be NOT RIDING if it blows up.

This was the most jumbled post I've ever had here on TT, and I'm sorry if you guys have trouble following it. IS IT SAFE???

Here is the specific ad: http://newjersey.cra.../383090794.html

• yzf450chad

Posted July 29, 2007 - 04:41 PM

:thumbsup: Well i am not a 4 stroke expert however if it runs good that seems like a pretty sweet deal to me :ride:

• cowboyona426

Posted July 29, 2007 - 04:53 PM

it all depends on how the bike was maintained. It should be fairly easy to tell if it's been flogged- look at the bottom frame rails for big dents. Turn the handlebars and see if there is any notchy feeling or if they don't turn easy. The first thing I noticed when I checked the ad was the frame- no paint missing that I could see. Granted, it could be re-touched, but if it's a 99 with no paint missing on the frame it hasn't been rode much. If it's been retouched, they likely didn't do hard to reach or see spots, like the bottom frame rails. The rear sprocket also looks like OEM, and I doubt very many guys buy the OEM sprocket when the stocker wears out. At first glance it looks clean, it's at least worth going to look at if it's close.

• PatrickM

Posted July 29, 2007 - 06:19 PM

I bought myself a 99 YZ400F and its been really good to me but the previous owner kept the the bike in great condition and re-built the engine and top end but did not service the front forks and the water pump.

I had to replace both front fork seals after about 5 rides. I also had to rebuild my water pump.

and just recently, I replaced the clutch.

I have learned that 4-stroke bikes need lots of servicing and since the bike close to being 8 years old, you would have to check everything and make sure it was serviced recently. I would make sure to check water pump, the clutch and last but not least the top end.

I hope this info helps.

Patrick M.

• EastBoundAndDown

Posted July 29, 2007 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the input. It looks low hours, which is my favorite. I will look at the frame and do the normal used-bike look-over if I actually do go check it out. Thanks

• dedelmon

Posted July 30, 2007 - 08:36 AM

I just purchased a 99 YZ400 this past weekend in the same type of condition. It's a great bike with tons of power. I am still getting used to starting it and going through all of the standard maintenance on it. Be aware that it runs very hot. Everything I have read says this is normal, but its dam hot when riding slow.

• EastBoundAndDown

Posted August 01, 2007 - 01:33 PM

As my time to buy a bike closes in, I still have this bike in my mind. Are you guys sure that if it is in nice shape and was maintained well, I won't need to rebuild it? I absolutely can't fathom havin to put 1K into a new top end, I would be out of riding for I don't know how long. I guess I'm just looking for more input. The bike has only been ridden three times in the last two years, It all looks great but, that big cloud is still hanging over it for some reason, it's saying " It might need a rebuild "
If I find a 250 2-stroke thats as close as this bike, I'll snag it in a heartbeat.

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted August 01, 2007 - 02:52 PM

Given the age of that bike, I don't think I would buy it. The problem is that it's worth less than the cost of a total rebuild. You'd probably have to put a lot more than 1k into a rebuild, as well. It's likely to need a new head, valves, springs, guides, keepers, seals (all those parts X 5 because there's 5 valves in the head), new cam chain, plus the piston, rings, circlips, wrist pin and bearing, plus gaskets.

I think that if you buy a cheap used 250 2t, you'll be much better off. Parts cost less and to rebuild it (assuming the cylinder isn't destroyed), you need, piston, rings, circlips, wrist pin and bearing, and gaskets. That's it.

• EastBoundAndDown

Posted August 01, 2007 - 03:59 PM

That's the way I'm leaning. I wanna ride a bike knowing that if I blow the piston, 150 dollars is more than enough to fix it, and I can do it in my garage.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bboyce

Posted August 01, 2007 - 04:28 PM

By the look of the bike and the frame, it looks to be in good condition and has not been ridden many hours at all. However, it does have its age and regardless of the time it has, things wear out. I would increase your budget and buy a newer bike, and if a 250 2 stroke is an option, I would spring for that. You just cannot go wrong with a used 2 stroke, although same goes for most yamaha 4 strokes.

• razornpc

Posted August 01, 2007 - 04:41 PM

ya like everyone is saying, they are expencive to rebuild but that why you o a rebuild b4 the thing grenades. ive had mine for a bout a year n1/2 and ive done all the basic maintenance. they do run hot even hotter when the water pump dies, but theyre good bikes. you should ask tammie shes on a 99 and hs races it and i think shes done a rebuild and a bunch other stuff. only thing i dont like about mine is its a friggin tank, 268 i think wet weight.

• 2strokenut

Posted August 01, 2007 - 06:30 PM

My dad had a 99 yz400 and it was a great bike but.... OMG did it feel heavy compared to my kx. If it falls on you man you'll prolly need someone else to help you lift it up and a few broken bones :lol:

Be patient and wait for a 250 2t to pop up at the right price, you'll be glad in the end.

You dont know how the bike was maintained. My dad NEVER checked the valve clearance or any of that crap just changed the oil. Bike is prolly dead somewhere lol

• dedelmon

Posted August 02, 2007 - 06:05 AM

I just purchased a 99 YZ 400 for $2200, and sold a 99KX250 to do it. Overall I am very happy with the Bike, it is heavier but the power is awesome. I paid more than the bike is really worth because it was very low hours bike and had spent most of its life is a spare room in the guys house. In Texas, 2 smokers are being practically given away. There are 03's in mint condition selling for less than 2k. For a 99 yz400 for $1500, I would ask the seller if I could take the bike to a local shop and have a well check done on it. From what I have seen if the bike is really low hours, thats a good price. But the other guys are right, there is a lot of extra maintenance you have to do to keep them up.

• blksupra1jzed

Posted August 08, 2007 - 01:03 PM

One thing on all of these 4 strokes (maybe 2 strokes as well, I'm not sure), but you cannot let them idle. They will overheat. We looked at a 4 stroke 400 before I got the 426 and the guy had just spent $3k rebuilding it. His wife got her bike stuck in some mud. He jumped off his, let it idle, and pulled her out. Must have taken some time, but he cooked the top end.

Overall the 400 is a decent machine.

• Dr.Wilson 154 ( . Y . )

Posted August 08, 2007 - 05:32 PM

That's the way I'm leaning. I wanna ride a bike knowing that if I blow the piston, 150 dollars is more than enough to fix it, and I can do it in my garage.

a 400f piston only costs about $30 more if that

• Dr.Wilson 154 ( . Y . )

Posted August 08, 2007 - 05:37 PM

I just purchased a 99 YZ 400 for $2200, and sold a 99KX250 to do it. Overall I am very happy with the Bike, it is heavier but the power is awesome. I paid more than the bike is really worth because it was very low hours bike and had spent most of its life is a spare room in the guys house. In Texas, 2 smokers are being practically given away. There are 03's in mint condition selling for less than 2k. For a 99 yz400 for $1500, I would ask the seller if I could take the bike to a local shop and have a well check done on it. From what I have seen if the bike is really low hours, thats a good price. But the other guys are right, there is a lot of extra maintenance you have to do to keep them up.

i sold my 97 yz250 i bought for $1300 sold it for $1800 bought a 2000 yzf 426 with the money look in my garage

• EastBoundAndDown

Posted August 08, 2007 - 05:42 PM

I've decided against the 400F. Trying for a 125 or 250cc 2-stroke.

• 00 Kracker 00

Posted August 09, 2007 - 08:27 AM

I have a 99 yz 400 f i bought off of Craigslist. It has a 440 big bore, the bike has about 18 hours since the rebuild.

This bike also had some paint missing on the frame and such, but heck its a four stroke its similar to a car engine which im extremely familiar with working on.

I hear alot of talk about maintanance on a 4 stroke, in my experiance 2 strokes take more maintanance, and the parts wear out much faster, sure it may be cheaper to rebuild, but you have to rebuild them so much more frequently it really starts to add up.

If you keep your valve clearences correct and do oil changes regularly, and keept the filter clean, the thing will run forever !

Theres a reason they dont use 2 stroke engines in automobiles, they're less reliable and have to be rebuilt frequently, where as a four stroke motor will run for 200 hundred thousand miles.

I felt much better about my 4 stroke purchase considering the reliablilty factory.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm never going back to a 2 smoke !

• Laurentian

Posted August 09, 2007 - 03:07 PM

I have a 99 yz 400 f i bought off of Craigslist. It has a 440 big bore, the bike has about 18 hours since the rebuild.

This bike also had some paint missing on the frame and such, but heck its a four stroke its similar to a car engine which im extremely familiar with working on.

I hear alot of talk about maintanance on a 4 stroke, in my experiance 2 strokes take more maintanance, and the parts wear out much faster, sure it may be cheaper to rebuild, but you have to rebuild them so much more frequently it really starts to add up.

If you keep your valve clearences correct and do oil changes regularly, and keept the filter clean, the thing will run forever !

Theres a reason they dont use 2 stroke engines in automobiles, they're less reliable and have to be rebuilt frequently, where as a four stroke motor will run for 200 hundred thousand miles.

I felt much better about my 4 stroke purchase considering the reliablilty factory.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm never going back to a 2 smoke !

True, the Yamaha design is known for reliability.
When I bought my '99 back in fall 2000 the bike was a roach!
Redid the whole thing with a 420 kit.
Should of bought new with all time, money and stress but what I gained the most was experience and knowedge about 4 strokes.
It has given me the confidence to delve into my Toyota truck's 22R and other four stroke motors, plus precious maintenance experience.
Next bike will probably be one of those new Husky TC250's that Ill break in with TLC!
Later,
Hugh

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.