switching from 02 yz250f to 00 yz426f

12 replies to this topic
  • yama02yz250f

Posted July 29, 2007 - 02:04 PM

Last year my dad and I got a 02 yz250f and 00 yz426f. It was my first bike so I started on the 250f. Now I have grown in skill and size(I am 6'3 175). My dad is 5'10 160 and is having trouble just with the weight of the 426 in the trails. I think we are going to switch bikes since I am younger and bigger. We ride only trails and mostly double track, much of which is very tight. SO since I am getting the 426 what should I do to it?

I was reading previous threads and am curious?

how well does the disconnecting the light blue wire work?

what can I do to lower the weight? (on a budget)

since I am riding tight stuff how do I make the wr puke tank fit and how much is it?

will it be that much harder to handle in the tight stuff for me?

• nap__kxf

Posted July 29, 2007 - 02:12 PM

there isn't much you can do to lower the weight of the bike on a budget except for aluminum/ti/carbon parts but that'll only lighten it so much. would be easier to just ride it and get stronger to throw it around.

edit: you could also lower the center of gravity with a radiator lowering kit and probably other stuff but that'll make it feel lighter.

• cowboyona426

Posted July 29, 2007 - 02:19 PM

IMO the puke tank is not needed. I rode an 00 YZ 426F for 6 years and the only time I ever boiled was following a youngster on a TT-R 90. I never messed with the blue wire on my bike, so I don't know how much that will help you.

• yama02yz250f

Posted July 29, 2007 - 02:49 PM

i have asv c5's for my 250f that i just bought. I was just going to transfer them or buy new ones, but the brake levers are the same and on ebay it says that the unniversal ones do not work with yr 2000 426's. DOes asv make some that do work? or could I swap the whole perches and reservoirs?

• grayracer513

Posted July 29, 2007 - 03:52 PM

Disconnecting the blue wire does more or less nothing to affect the performance in any way. The blue wire runs to the neutral switch, which grounds that wire when in neutral only. This tells the CDI the bike's in neutral, which lowers the rev limit, and retards the ignition timing in response. Some 426's may be easier to start with the blue wire disconnected because that's just how they are, but most aren't. Disconnecting the wire simply produces the same timing and rev limit in neutral as the bike has in any other gear already. Personally, I usually ride my bikes in gear most of the time anyway. :cool:

This mod is not the same as the gray wire mod for WR's in any way.

• yama02yz250f

Posted July 29, 2007 - 05:35 PM

yeh i knew it didnt help performance but was curious if it did actually help starting. It already has the 03 cam so I dont need that but I am planning on buying radiator braces(what brands still make them for it?) frame guards,and bar risers? anything else i should get?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted July 29, 2007 - 05:58 PM

Rad braces I suggest Works Connection- mine on my old 426 took a lot of abuse and held up well (with never a bend rad). Frame guards don't do much if the paint's already gone, but they do give you a bit more area to grip. Pro Taper bars, good handguards, TM designworks chain slider, decent chain and sprockets, Zip Ty fuel screw, and a good sparky are a good start.

• yama02yz250f

Posted July 29, 2007 - 09:41 PM

the seats,tanks and shrouds are the same right?

i just switched the tanks and seats to keep my new graphics and seat cover and they seemed to be exactly the same but i just wanted to make sure there arent any unseen differences.

Now I just need to transfer the trailtech vapor, get some radiator braces, put on my new kevlar grips, and get used to the new weight and power.

does anyone know how much more weight I will be riding with switching from an 02 250f to 00 426?

• yama02yz250f

Posted July 30, 2007 - 09:14 PM

Dees anyone know, will there be any problems with switcing the front brake reservoirs between the two bikes in order to keep the asv brake lever?

• grayracer513

Posted July 31, 2007 - 08:31 AM

Why wouldn't you just switch the levers? Then you won't have to worry about compatibilty, and you won't have to bleed two front brakes.

• yama02yz250f

Posted July 31, 2007 - 06:44 PM

the clutch levers are the same but the brake levers do not match.

• cowboyona426

Posted July 31, 2007 - 08:30 PM

Just swap the whole assembly from bike to bike to keep you from having to bleed them- they should swap straight over no worries.

• yama02yz250f

Posted July 31, 2007 - 09:53 PM

the calipers too? that would be sweet because i have the trailtech vapor and it would save me having to drill the caliper for the magnet sensor. of course i will loose the steel brake line but thats ok. thanks for the idea i will try it tomorrow

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.