Common Issues?

2 replies to this topic
  • USED YZ426F

Posted July 29, 2007 - 12:52 PM

Hey all. Just got a '00 YZ 426F from a HD dealer yesterday. They said that it didn't run (no spark) and made me a good deal. Got it home, checked the spark plug (that was a bear to get out) and it had spark. Put it back in and the beast fired right up!:applause:

I have this machine, and I am not a complete novice, although I haven't ridden in almost 20 years. Can anyone tell me if there are any common issues with this model that have easy fixes? Would like to take care of them now, before I am stuck on a trail somewhere.:eek:

I used to have an IT 490, and she vibrated one or two bolts loose every weekend. Lots of lock-tight and that problem was taken care of. This one is already missing some bolts, and others are loose. Don't know if they vibrated loose, or if they were removed during maintenance and just not replaced.

Are there any bolts that are prone to coming loose and falling off that I need to pay special attention to over the next several days (as I go over my bike with a fine tooth comb)?

On the left side of the carb, there are two slide levers. One is red, and just above that is a black one. I guessed that the black one is the choke (pulled it out and the bike started on the second kick). What is the red one for?

I am sure that I will have more questions, but right now I am just too excited to sit here and think of them.:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted July 29, 2007 - 01:03 PM

Welcome! The red knob on the carb is a hot start. The 00 426F is a very solid bike, there really aren't any major problems with them. If there were, they've likely been addressed already. I would at least pull the clutch cover (right hand side of the motor) and inspect the clutch for wear- look for grooves in the basket and notches in the fingers on the pressure plate. Check all the common stuff too, like all the bearings, sprockets, etc. for worn out parts. It would also be a good idea to check the valve clearances to see if they are in spec. The 00 is a solid ride, I think you'll enjoy it. Let us know if you have any more questions, and welcome to TT! :thumbsup:

• crazyal426

Posted July 30, 2007 - 07:27 AM

I have had my 2000 since it was new. Two things to look at. The subframe bolts tend to loosen up. I also had a funny engine ticking that I could not find after checking and changing a ton of things I found the problem. It was the RH primary drive nut off the crank. The nut lock washer was not folded over from the factory. Took me forever to find. You have to take the big RH cover off to see it. A worth while check in my opinion. But. it is a sweet ride, gobs of balls. Good Luck!!!

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.