The right gas?

4 replies to this topic
  • finglan

Posted January 25, 2001 - 09:06 AM

I just got a WR426 and the manual says to only put 95 octane gas or higher in the bike. The highest I can find is 93 octane. Will this hurt the bike?

• Bill

Posted January 25, 2001 - 09:20 AM

In a nutshell....NO. Most of us run premium fuel (93 oct). I will say that some fuels differ per service station location and manufacture. Once you find a station that the fule runs well in your bike, stick with it.

86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bender647

Posted January 25, 2001 - 09:46 AM

The Yamaha manual says use fuel with a RON
(Research Octane Number) of 95 or higher.

The pumps in the USA are marked with an
antiknock index which is average of RON
testing and another method called MON
(Motor Octane Number). Typically, they
differ by about 10, so a gas pump marked
"90" in the US is probably RON = 95.

• finglan

Posted January 25, 2001 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for the info. Until now the only thing I knew about gas was beans beans......

• Michael

Posted January 25, 2001 - 07:53 PM

There is some great fuel information on DRN forum. Try this post -

Search on race gas...there are several posts that explain the advantages of race gas in detail.....a good read. I bought a fresh can of VP C14 to try. I'll post the results.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.