What a difference a day makes

11 replies to this topic
  • ThompsonV311

Posted July 29, 2007 - 11:11 AM

Well I finally went down and took delivery on my new 07 WR450. Coming off a 06 YZ450 I was a little leary that I would not be satisfied with the motor, but we'll get to that later. After getting it hom I wheeled her into the garage to tear it down and begin the transformation to a Desert race bike. First off I removed the stock pipe. The canister alone weighs in @ 10 lbs! The DRD system is just under 6 lbs. -4 lbs there. Next I installed the AIS kit, and JD jet kit. Then put the DRD pipe on. Grey wire mod. Tore down the steering head, greased all the bearings, then reassembled with a Scott's stabilizer. Cut off the stock grips and replaced. removed the kill button and moved the start button to the left side so I can mount the handguards. I will just use the power button to kill the bike. No dead battery that way too. Installed an hour meter on the frame. Installed the IMS tank, and YZ shrouds. Stainless oil filter, and billet dipstick. Now I kept my spare wheel set from the YZ and planned on using them, but the front hub is different for the speedo. DOH!! I'm looking for a WR front hub if anybody wants to trade for a YZ one or just sell. Until then I will just run the silver stockers. I Got it back together in time for a night cruise. I put about 10 miles on it and I have to say than any doubt I had about the motor is GONE. With the right jetting, pipe, and free mods this bike is now a very strong race bike. The power is electric like, and I love the tranny for the desert. The forks and shock go into Noleen J6 tomorrow for the Off road/Desert re-valve and re-spring treatment. Then it will be ready for the Invaders desert scramble in Aug. My YZ was an incredible bike, and will be missed but I see great things to come with this new WR. NO REGRETS. Heres a few pics of her.
Yesterday:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Today:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• LVThumper

Posted July 29, 2007 - 11:38 AM

That looks SWEET!! :applause:

After riding some friends '06 and '07 YZ's, but all the while looking at all the pros to a WR, I have been debating a YZ vs WR to replace my 426, well it looks like the debate is over!! WR here I come!! Very Nice!! :worthy:

• markturbo

Posted July 29, 2007 - 11:41 AM

Bike looks great! I like the stance of your truck too.

• ThompsonV311

Posted July 29, 2007 - 11:59 AM

Thanks, its a Fabtech 7.5 in lift with 2 in spring spacers, making it 9.5 in the front. Then 5 in blocks in the rear. The front sits a few inches higher than the rear. Kinda tough to really see in this pic since it is parked over the v in the drive, but it is a little better view.
Posted Image

• RickSanson

Posted July 29, 2007 - 12:29 PM

Tore down the steering head, greased all the bearings...

I'm getting mine a tomorrow or the next day. Why did you do this?

removed the kill button and moved the start button to the left side so I can mount the handguards.

Where do you Acerbis mount on the bars? Just curious if I'll need to do the same for my Moose bars...

Where did you get the hour meter?

Sorry for the questions and thanks in advance!

• ThompsonV311

Posted July 29, 2007 - 12:46 PM

I'm getting mine a tomorrow or the next day. Why did you do this?

Where do you Acerbis mount on the bars? Just curious if I'll need to do the same for my Moose bars...

Where did you get the hour meter?

Sorry for the questions and thanks in advance!

The factory is not very liberal with the grease. When you get in there you will see what I mean. This being a race bike I tear it down to the frame 3-4 times a year for grease and bearing checks.

Not sure if you will need to, but the Acrebis Uniko guards I run mount just to the inside of the throttle, and the grip on the left. I would have to move the front brake perch inward way too much, so I just moved it over to the kill button side. Also this will be a sure way to know the power button doesn't get left on to drain the battery.

Pit Posse on Ebay sells them for $36.95 with tach. It is the same manufacturer as the other brands in Motosport/Rockymountainmc

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Darkstang

Posted July 29, 2007 - 07:16 PM

What tires are those on the rear? Looks great!

• ThompsonV311

Posted July 29, 2007 - 07:42 PM

The tires are Kenda K775 Washougal sticky compound. I took it out on my practice loop today, and once I got comfortable to run race speed I discovered that compared to my 06 YZ the 07 WR boingers SUCK! Fortunately I drop them all off at Noleen tomorrow for the works treatment.

• Michigan DS

Posted July 30, 2007 - 06:32 PM

Bike looks great!
It appears that your changes are well thought out...so I would like to ask the reasoning behind the DRD exhaust. I am ignorant to the performance differences between the DRD, FMS, Pro-Circuit, etc. It seems like you know what you are doing, so I appreciate any info you have to offer.
Thanks in advance,

Doug

• corky

Posted November 23, 2007 - 11:23 AM

Desert devil, Check you PM's

Corky

• Seabass

Posted November 23, 2007 - 08:34 PM

Nice looking bike! I just bought a slightly used '07 and it's a night and day difference in power. The bike came with a Pro Circuit T-4 exhaust, but I can't believe a pipe could make that much of a difference. It also came with the suspension done by Precision Concepts and it works amazingly well. Look for me out in the dez with Desert MC!

• Seabass

Posted November 23, 2007 - 08:35 PM

Your original post got me thinking...the Invaders race was in August! Checked your original post and discovered it was old...oh well.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.