PAD SIZE

4 replies to this topic
  • Mech

Posted July 07, 2000 - 10:27 PM

Hi,
I am currnetly going to adjust my valve clearance. So does anyone out there knows the STD size PAD for the intake and exhaust valve. Thanks for any reply. :)

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 07, 2000 - 11:58 PM

Mech,
If I understand you correctly, there is no standard pad (shim) size. The shim size is based upon valve clearance. When I checked my valves, I had 5 different shims. I was able to re-use 3 of them, but placed them in different valves (from their original location).

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark, got forked by Pro Action.
AMA, NETRA

For clarification: WE'LL be having a KICK ASS time in Moab!! Right Mitch?!!

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 07-08-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dougie

Posted July 08, 2000 - 02:15 AM

Mech,

Like Kevin said, there is no standard size. You will have to pull them all and make note of what number they are. That is the valves are out of spec in the first place.

Then you will have to use the chart in the manual to determine what new size shim you will have to put in. Remember to keep good notes as to what shim came out of what valve. Also, it is important to make sure you put the shim covers back in the same spots. Good Luck.

• Clark_Mason

Posted July 08, 2000 - 06:38 AM

Also remember to lube all surfaces and shims under the buckets before reassembly. Also lube the cam bearing surfaces.

I had to adjust two of my intake valves after about 800-1000 miles. Since then I check the valve clearance every 3 months and the adjustment is holding just fine. Probably put another 2500miles on the motor since my only adjustment. However the center intake valve has been on the lower limit for the last three measurments, but its holding there.

Good Luck

Clark

[This message has been edited by Clark Mason (edited 07-08-2000).]

• Mech

Posted July 08, 2000 - 09:40 PM

Thanks. I knew I could count on all of you. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.