Low on brake fluid?

4 replies to this topic
  • ray_lebreton

Posted July 05, 2000 - 03:59 PM

I have only had my bike for about five months and about 1500 kms and my little front brake level window shows below low. is this normal? if so how do i fill it and what do i fill it with?

• Henry

Posted July 05, 2000 - 04:05 PM

Hi Ray, do you ride in the mud often?
Perhap your brake pad is gone, check it out.
Low brake fluid indicated that your brake pad is thinned.
Or maybe your reservoir is leaking?
Top it up with dot4 brake fluid as shown on the reservoir cover.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 05, 2000 - 05:35 PM

Before you take off the reservoir cover, be sure and thoroughly clean the cover and the reservoir itself. You do not want any dirt getting in there. Also, brake fluid LOVES water. It will absorb it quite readily. Don't do this in the rain!!
You may consider using yamaha brake fluid if you are going to top it off. I would not mix brake fluids to be on the safe side.
You may want to consider flushing out the old brake fluid with new stuff. I recommend Motul, but any Dot 3 or 4 should do. Stay away from the Dot 5 synthetic racing stuff. It may do more harm than good. "Racing" doesn't necessarily mean "Better".

99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark, got forked by Pro Action.

For clarification: WE'LL be having a KICK ASS time in Moab!! Right Mitch?!!

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 07-05-2000).]

• MotoGreg

Posted July 05, 2000 - 08:15 PM

any Dot 3 or 4 should do. Stay away from the Dot 5 synthetic racing stuff. It may do more harm than good. "Racing" doesn't necessarily mean "Better

That's right. Don't use Dot 5, you cannot mix it with Dot 3 or 4. Also Dot 5 will give a little mushy brake lever feel.

'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

Posted July 08, 2000 - 03:15 AM

that is right never mix dot#5 which is silicone fluid with any other brake fluid
with-out purging the entire brake system
or you will have big trouble.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.