2007 WR450 Stator output

11 replies to this topic
  • Sycamore

Posted July 28, 2007 - 08:53 PM

Anybody have the output numbers of the stock stator. I heard it's 180watts..that sounds crazy high though. Thanks.

• PBDBLUE

Posted July 30, 2007 - 06:39 AM

If it's the same as the 03 - 06 (and it probably is) it's about 65 watts for the lighting magneto and about 25 watts for the battery charge mag.

• Sycamore

Posted July 30, 2007 - 08:02 AM

If it's the same as the 03 - 06 (and it probably is) it's about 65 watts for the lighting magneto and about 25 watts for the battery charge mag.

Wow that's pretty lame:thumbsdn:

Thanks for the info though.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 30, 2007 - 09:10 AM

The lighting circuit is only 65 watts? What happened to the 130 watt stator from the older models? No wonder the headlight on my friend's '04 always looks dim.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 30, 2007 - 09:44 AM

The lighting circuit is only 65 watts? What happened to the 130 watt stator from the older models? No wonder the headlight on my friend's '04 always looks dim.

Baja Designs rewinds (or mods) the stators on the pre-'07's to 130 watts. I would think it would be about the same on the '07's. Trailtech may also have winding available. Probably more important than total watts is how many watts at low revs or idle. Trailtech seems to advertise about 90 watts at idle on many of it's rewinds. Baja designs advertises total watts. I have a stator rewound by BD and am not completely happy with it as it still has pretty lame output at low revs.

• Sycamore

Posted July 30, 2007 - 02:19 PM

Found out from a good source that the 07 WR puts out 100watts but there is some kind of free mod to bump it up higher but you need a new rectifier which costs 50 bucks.:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted July 30, 2007 - 03:05 PM

Found out from a good source that the 07 WR puts out 100watts but there is some kind of free mod to bump it up higher but you need a new rectifier which costs 50 bucks.:applause:

Do share!

• Sycamore

Posted July 30, 2007 - 03:58 PM

Do share!

Baja designs..call em, they'll steer ya to the free mod..remember you need a new rectifier though.

• tarmac_terrorist

Posted July 30, 2007 - 04:03 PM

My 07 arrives on friday. I was wondering about increasing the lumen output. Can this be done with an uprated bulb, or even better is there a HID kit?

We dont get much sun in my part of the world and i intend to go riding in Norway. Light is very important. The more the better. What can be done to increase lumens?

• dr x

Posted July 30, 2007 - 05:22 PM

My 07 arrives on friday. I was wondering about increasing the lumen output. Can this be done with an uprated bulb, or even better is there a HID kit?

We dont get much sun in my part of the world and i intend to go riding in Norway. Light is very important. The more the better. What can be done to increase lumens?

http://www.hids4u.co...ails.asp?id=213

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 30, 2007 - 07:54 PM

Baja Designs rewinds (or mods) the stators on the pre-'07's to 130 watts. I would think it would be about the same on the '07's. Trailtech may also have winding available. Probably more important than total watts is how many watts at low revs or idle. Trailtech seems to advertise about 90 watts at idle on many of it's rewinds. Baja designs advertises total watts. I have a stator rewound by BD and am not completely happy with it as it still has pretty lame output at low revs.

I was specifically told by the people at Baja Designs that they do not rewind the stators on WRs. Their rewinds didn't produce any higher output. Now, that was a few years ago but it may explain why the lights are still not at the level you want.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 30, 2007 - 10:44 PM

I was specifically told by the people at Baja Designs that they do not rewind the stators on WRs. Their rewinds didn't produce any higher output. Now, that was a few years ago but it may explain why the lights are still not at the level you want.

That's probably a true statement, which is why I said "or mod". For the older WR's it was about a $30 mod. I think the stator had enough power, but just needed to float the ground. This is likely the same story for the new WR's. Lots of bikes just send a trickle of watts to the battery to charge and the rest to power the light. I believe that most companies (BD, Trailtech, Ricky Stator) send all the power to the battery and then run the lights directly from there. For HID especially, it needs to have all the power to the battery as HID has to run off the battery with DC power.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.