Five Days of riding at Troy Meadows

3 replies to this topic
  • Clark_Mason

Posted July 04, 2000 - 02:29 PM

Just spend five days up in the Sierras riding out of Troy Meadows CG. It was perfect riding conditions. Had outstanding rides on all of the trails on top of the Kern Plateau all 139 miles of them, some of them twice and of course all the 4-wheel drive trails and forrest service and loging roads. Did one illegal but out standing ride down Ceder Canyon trail to the Rincon and out the Rincon trail -- the Rincon trail is a real tough trail but must be done at least once every two yesrs. My friend Chris and I rode down the Cannel trail from the Sherman Pass overlook to Big Meadow and this was the highlight of the week and of course neither of us took a camera. The meadows were the deepest green with flowers everwhere, and some of the trails still damp with morning dew, it was a real treat.

Riding elevations ranged from 10000 to 4500 feet over the week and I had jetting problems. I started the week with a 45 PJ and when my bike got hot it would not idle and was extreaminly difficult to start. Of course I had the 45PJ in while riding at lower altitude on the toughest trail, the Rincon, and it was no fun havng your bike die almost every time you pulled in the clutch to stop. There were three of us on this ride and we all got tired of starting my WR!!!

I put in a 48PJ the next day and the bike ran better, ran cooler and started reasonably well. Last year I had WR timing and ran a 45PJ with no problem. This year with the YZ timing and the FMF PCIV-2 and Power Bomb I needed to richen up the pilot circuit to get the bike to run properly.

I ran 13/47 gearing, which is about 1.5% lower than stock and with the FMF exhaust it pulled everthing just fine. I thought it might have been too tall but it worked out great for trails and dual sporting.

I really missed the jetting for the altitude conditions and should have know something was up since on the dual dogs dual sport ride a month ago when my bike got hot it became vary difficult to start at altitude, was running a 45PJ at the time. Guess I'm going to a 50PJ for home 1200feet and a 48PJ for the higher elevations. Will let the fourm know how things work out.

Now back to work and no play for awhile

• Dougie

Posted July 05, 2000 - 11:11 AM

Good to hear you had to go up to a 48 on the higher elavations. Because I was running a 48 pilot here in CO at elavations from 9500 to 13,000 and I did not have any problems at all. No stalling, backfiring and very little popping on decelerations.

I actually ran the same setup I had in from Denver, 6000 feet. 175 main, 48 pilot, YZ needle 4th clip and 1 3/4 out.

The only problem I did encounter was it wouldn't start on the very first kicks before riding. I had to use the hot start button with no choke on the cold bike. But after that, no starting problems.

I was kind of baffled as to how I got away with it. Bryan also ran the same Denver setup when he rode the same area I did the day before. He also had no problems. He thought the YZ timing may be less finicky to jetting changes.

Any thoughts?

Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nathan_In_So_Cal

Posted July 06, 2000 - 01:11 PM

Glad to hear that you had such a good time Clark. Im planning to be up at the Kern Plateau July 21,22 and 23. It'll be my first time up there. Im not really looking forward to messing with the jetting so Ill probably take some up with me and see how things go :) What was the weather like?

• Clark_Mason

Posted July 06, 2000 - 04:57 PM

The weather was perfect lows at night down to 38 to 40 highs during the day between 75 to 83 degrees F. There was occasional breeze which was refreshing. I wish I was up there now instead of in Valencia where it can get real hot.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.