06 450 handles badly: what triple clamps?

97 replies to this topic
  • twenty34

Posted July 29, 2007 - 08:10 PM

I say it handles fine, but cornering is tricky. Two different issues in my book. I can ride trails all day long without much trouble, but if I really try to turn sharp at much speed it starts to get ugly. The right front tire helps tremendously, which for me is the Kenda Washougal. Next up I'm sending my suspension to a fellow TT'er to work his magic.

Amen to that!

• rickallen124

Posted July 29, 2007 - 08:13 PM

Jimmy Button works for The Familia(not sure on the spelling) which is a company that represents extreme sports athletes. Basically he is an agent for a lot of the top riders in motocross etc and negotiates conatracts for his athletes.

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 30, 2007 - 02:05 AM

The 2006 YZ 450f DOES HANDLE BAD. I have one and I hate how it corners.

Cripes, some of you guys crack me up. Dude your only hope is to take up Chess...... (There is far less you can complain about). The 06' and '07 YZ's are an amazing, fun machine for all abilities. Want a bike that corners like a razor? Go buy an RMZ, but be warned you will get passed down all the straights by a YZF, resulting from the RMZ's rider having a death grip on the bars from high speed headshake........no bike is perfect for every rider, adapt to what you have. There is always ways to tweak handleing.

Posted July 30, 2007 - 05:02 AM

you can't tweak reliability.

• CrusRuss

Posted July 30, 2007 - 05:18 AM

no 2 words.......
Yellow and durability...that is why I am riding a 06 yellow yami SE:thumbsup:

play nice CrusRuss.....

Sorry... couldnt resist :excuseme:

• Ga426owner

Posted July 30, 2007 - 05:28 AM

It is interesting that you mention sensativity to setup Re: handlebars, etc. I am tall and have been running KX double high bars, a bend I love. No complaints with the bars, but I also have an SDG tall seat I am expiramenting with. It feels comfortable and is pretty tall as SDG tall models go (I have used them on other bikes and they did not seem to be all that much higher than stock: this one does) But I suspect that it exacerbates the bikes tendency to wash or push the front end in hard corners because the center of gravity of the rider is so much higher. This bike literally feels like it is going to hit the deck at any moment when pushed a little in corners unless you work really hard to do everything perfect , and that tires me out in a very short time.

my stock seat is going back on soon but I still feel there is a major issue with front end traction

You are the first person I have heard from to have this issue with a taller seat...on a 06-07 :excuseme:

I want to say this again....The 06 does not have that bad of a issue turning. I think the drama factor is running a little high on this thread.
It only has a issue with me when I transition from a right to left or vice versa. The front gets light on me. Occasionally on hardpack with some loose stuff on it the front wants to wash a little. But on most all other conditions, Stock with a MS3 tires my 06 turns fine inside outside high speed etc.....
I tested Taller seats before clamps and this helped me get out of the dip in the middle of the stock seat and up on the rear of the tank allowing me to corner even more tighter corners. I have both a tall SDG and a Tall Soft Gutz Racing seat....This works much better than the stock seat. Many others have also found the same result.
I now have Applied 24mm clamps and now my bike is as close to perfect as it can be...which is better than any bike I have owned

To read some of you people on this thread saying the 06 does not turn....please sell your bikes and go away......or back to where you came from.....:blah:

• 02YZ426

Posted July 30, 2007 - 06:20 AM

You'd be wrong. Doug Dubach tested a wide range of offsets for the '06, and selected 24mm as his favorite. Applied Racing did a blind test with a group of good test riders. They had no idea which offset they were riding ant any given time, or in what order they tested them. That group also chose the 24's.

Your logic seems based on "if some is good, more is better". Sometimes more is too much, and some is just right.

Ya I take that back. I was talking to a tech on the weekend about this and he also said the 24mm is the way to go. He said that I would be very surprised how much of a difference that 1 mm in the offset would change the handling. He also said that If I go to the 22mm the front suspension may become more harsh than I would prefer.

• grayracer513

Posted July 30, 2007 - 07:48 AM

He also said that If I go to the 22mm the front suspension may become more harsh than I would prefer.

I can't see how he arrived at that one. :excuseme:

More on trail and offset:

http://www.thumperta...597#post3945597

• 02YZ426

Posted July 30, 2007 - 08:04 AM

I can't see how he arrived at that one. :excuseme:

More on trail and offset:

http://www.thumperta...597#post3945597

I have no idea, he said that the steeper head angle can make the forks a little more harsh :excuseme:

• grayracer513

Posted July 30, 2007 - 08:13 AM

A steeper head angle could do that, but changing the fork offset doesn't alter the head angle in any way, so it's a non sequitor. Offset only affects trail.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ben_suhard

Posted July 30, 2007 - 08:26 AM

A steeper head angle could do that, but changing the fork offset doesn't alter the head angle in any way, so it's a non sequitor. Offset only affects trail.

Doesn't the front of the frame get higher as you move the forks back, increasing the rake of the head??? You could compensate by raising the forks in the clamps of course.

• grayracer513

Posted July 30, 2007 - 09:18 AM

Technically, it does move up as the forks move back, but because of the trigonometry involved, it will only rise about 0.8mm when the forks move back 3mm. Even if it were a significant number, raising the head makes the fork angle shallower, not steeper.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 30, 2007 - 09:34 AM

Even if it were a significant number, raising the head makes the fork angle shallower, not steeper.

So, the guys that fit the 24's, even though it's only a small amount, are actually moving the forks back aswell as increasing the rake. Maybe that small increase in rake is the magical number for them? :D

• grayracer513

Posted July 30, 2007 - 01:10 PM

OK, now you made me get out my calculator and run some numbers. With a 27 degree head angle, decreasing the offset by 1mm will raise the head about 3mm, which, absent any other changes would increase the head angle (from vertical) roughly 0.05 degrees.

Besides, increasing the head angle makes it more prone to push, not less.

• Wiz636

Posted July 30, 2007 - 01:24 PM

When changing to a different offset has anybody noticed an increased tendency of the bike to develop headshake?

I would like to make my '06 a little more nimble (like my RM250) but not so much that I would be willing to develop headshake. I don't mind a little oversteer (prefer it to pushing) but I hate headshake!

• grayracer513

Posted July 30, 2007 - 01:39 PM

When changing to a different offset has anybody noticed an increased tendency of the bike to develop headshake?

Yes.

Increasing trail in general beyond a certain point also exaggerates the bike's tendency to dig at ruts in sand instead of tracking through them, and for the front wheel to get kicked out to one side when you hit something sharp edged at an angle.

This extends into a sensitivity to start slapping at small irregularities that hit the tire off of center. On a smooth road it actually seems more stable, but not in the rough.

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 30, 2007 - 04:15 PM

I would like to make my '06 a little more nimble (like my RM250) but not so much that I would be willing to develop headshake. I don't mind a little oversteer (prefer it to pushing) but I hate headshake!

I agree 100%, I would gladly encounter a slight push, rather than have to endure headshake at high speeds charging straights.

I have a KX500, you wanna talk about a violent headshake at anything over 40 mph stock.... Thank god for a Scott's steering stabilizer:thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted July 30, 2007 - 04:17 PM

Man MXA really beats up on the 07 in this months edition...no triple clamp will help it apparently....lets all sell our yamis :p

• grayracer513

Posted July 30, 2007 - 05:52 PM

Man MXA really beats up on the 07 in this months edition...no triple clamp will help it apparently....lets all sell our yamis :p

But, But...MXA is a Yamaha shill, aren't they? "Everyone" says so. :cool:

• stoney55

Posted July 30, 2007 - 05:59 PM

yz's are not for everyone, I rode a cr250 and thought the sun shined out of it's pipe til I rode my 05 yzf, now I can't ride honda, or suzuki. don't hesitate to change colors, unless your sponsored and your career relies on the color get what is most comfy, I learned all the bikes are better than me so if it works ride it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.