First Impressions

2 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 04, 2000 - 11:08 AM

Hi, this is just after my third ride on my new WR. It just keeps getting better and better. I struggled a little bit because of all my two stroke habits in the begining, but I finally have the starting drill ingrained and getting used to engine braking. This bike is awsome! I have searched the archives to find info on changing my rear sprocket to 52 teeth and why people have made that choice, it is the only thing that I would like to change right away to allow more second to third gear riding in the trails. can anybody tell me why they made there gearing choices? thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dougie

Posted July 04, 2000 - 01:35 PM

Hey Rick, happy to hear you are enjoying the bike so much.

I went to a 52 rear to get back some of the control I lost going to YZ timing. I love the YZ timing but found that in the real nasty stuff, I was having a hard time contolling the bike. I was just about to go back to WR timing when I decided to try the 52 first.

It made a HUGE difference in the tight spots. I have much more control and tractability and I get to keep the YZ punch. the bike stalls less and I am almost always in 2cd and 3rd gears on the tighter trails. I did loose a little top end speed, but I rarely ride in areas where I will need to open it up. I think you would like it.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 05, 2000 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for your insight on gearing Dougie, I just needed somebody to mimick my thoughts. I now have to find a way to convince my wife that even though I am changing it, she still bought me the best bike for fathers day! She just about freaked out when she came into the garage and found me cutting my throttle to install some brush gaurds, all better now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.