Ktm 450 sx 07 or Yamaha Yz 450 07?

11 replies to this topic
  • Elvinsson

Posted July 28, 2007 - 01:24 PM

Hi!

I´m going to buy a new bike soon and i´m thinking of buying either the Yz 450 07 and the Sx 450 07. I´m an avarage rider, riding mostly motocross but some enduro, i´m 197 cm tall and about 90 kg. And i want to know what you guys with the 07 Yz and experience with the sx 07 think of the bikes.

I want a bike that´s is good at the track and on enduro trails, i´m a bit tall so its great to have a bike that´s good for tall riders, I also want a bike that´s easy maintained with valve clearence adjustments and so on.

It would be greatly appreatiated to get some info about the bikes any info is great!

ps. I have currently a yz 250 01.

• JimXCW

Posted July 28, 2007 - 02:31 PM

KTM has just released the perfect bike for you... 2008 450XCF. It is good for moto and woods.

Otherwise I would get the YZ450F, it's a 5 speed, the KTM 450 SXF only has 4 gears.

• Elvinsson

Posted July 28, 2007 - 02:53 PM

KTM has just released the perfect bike for you... 2008 450XCF. It is good for moto and woods.

Otherwise I would get the YZ450F, it's a 5 speed, the KTM 450 SXF only has 4 gears.

Thanks for the tip but i´m more intrested in buying a pure motocross bike wich i can ride in trails aswell but it´s main purpuse is to be ridden on a motocross track.

Because i´m tall i need a roomy bike, and the seat height on the yz 450 is 988 mm and on the sx 450 it´s 925 mm do you think the yz is a better choice? I´ve heard that the ktm has a better motor, and the e-start i fantastic to have but is the ktm to small for me i am after all 197 cm?

Anyone how is tall and have the yz 450 07 or the ktm 450 07, how do you think the bike works for you?

• nap__kxf

Posted July 28, 2007 - 05:54 PM

you could always get taller seat foam for the ktm...i have an 07 yz450 and so far not a single complaint (except that my dad scratched my rear fender dragging his boot across it :mad: ) but the engine is extremely reliable. and the 07 ktm engine is complete rebuilt so i'd imagine not every bug would be worked out quite yet...but don't quote me on that reliability tidbit.

• Bakemono

Posted July 28, 2007 - 06:53 PM

KTM has had some issues with their 450s and IMO the Yamaha has a little bit better suspension, so Id go with the Yamaha.

• warrior04

Posted July 28, 2007 - 06:55 PM

get the yamaha they are awesome reliable bikes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxengineer4

Posted July 28, 2007 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for the tip but i´m more intrested in buying a pure motocross bike wich i can ride in trails aswell but it´s main purpuse is to be ridden on a motocross track.

Because i´m tall i need a roomy bike, and the seat height on the yz 450 is 988 mm and on the sx 450 it´s 925 mm do you think the yz is a better choice? I´ve heard that the ktm has a better motor, and the e-start i fantastic to have but is the ktm to small for me i am after all 197 cm?

Anyone how is tall and have the yz 450 07 or the ktm 450 07, how do you think the bike works for you?

I had an 06 YZ450F and have the 07 450SXF. You will not go wrong with either bike. I am 6'2" (about 188cm). I put taller bars on both bikes. I liked the Pro Taper Windham RM mid bend. On the KTM I also installed Fastway footpegs in the lower position - this really helped open up the ergonomics of the bike for me. The 450SXF has a super smooth engine and the power just builds in a very linear fashion - super easy to control. The cornering on the 450SXF is great - I think better than the Yamaha. Air filter maintenance is super easy on the KTM. E-start is very cool and once you get used to it might be hard to go back. 4spd feels perfect on the mx track - never did any trail riding with the 450SXF. The YZ450 has the newer KYB suspension which worked great. Very plush and controlled. I think Yamaha revised it again for 08 along with some frame and other changes to help improve the cornering (which was fine on the 06 just not as quick or agile as the 450SXF). If you can take a spin on both bikes - you can decide which fits your style:thumbsup:

• Elvinsson

Posted July 29, 2007 - 12:46 AM

I had an 06 YZ450F and have the 07 450SXF. You will not go wrong with either bike. I am 6'2" (about 188cm). I put taller bars on both bikes. I liked the Pro Taper Windham RM mid bend. On the KTM I also installed Fastway footpegs in the lower position - this really helped open up the ergonomics of the bike for me. The 450SXF has a super smooth engine and the power just builds in a very linear fashion - super easy to control. The cornering on the 450SXF is great - I think better than the Yamaha. Air filter maintenance is super easy on the KTM. E-start is very cool and once you get used to it might be hard to go back. 4spd feels perfect on the mx track - never did any trail riding with the 450SXF. The YZ450 has the newer KYB suspension which worked great. Very plush and controlled. I think Yamaha revised it again for 08 along with some frame and other changes to help improve the cornering (which was fine on the 06 just not as quick or agile as the 450SXF). If you can take a spin on both bikes - you can decide which fits your style:thumbsup:

Thanks, i always get great answers from you!

But how is the bikes maintanance wise? I really want a bike that´s easy to work on so i don´t have to let a workshop do it with majorly overprised costs that follows.

Would you say that with all those modifications done on the ktm a guy like me 197 cm would be comfortable on it, being able to have the proper standing position and all that? Because the Yz is bigger from stock with a taller seat height, and if i get a taller seat and higher handlebars it would probably be more suitable for a tall guy.

Than if both the ktm and yz has all the modifications to make it "roomy" wich bike should i choose than?

• grayracer513

Posted July 29, 2007 - 07:44 AM

My son is 6' 3" 180 lb (82 kg) and loves his '06 YZ450. The only provision we've made for his height is a set of Windham bend handlebars fro Pro Taper that raise the grip 14mm. It's all a matter of what you're used to, or willing to adapt to. He got his YZ250F when he was about 5'9" or 5'10" and grew to 6'2" on that bike without modifications. He's quite comfortable on the 450.

As far as maintenance, the engine is reasonably simple to work on, although layout of the semi-perimeter spar frame makes some things more difficult than they were on the older models. The really good thing about the YZ450 is that, other than oil changes and the air filter, there's not really much that needs to be done with any regularity, outside of a cam chain every year or 18 months.

• ivesy

Posted July 29, 2007 - 01:02 PM

Doesn't the KTM have electric start?

• mxengineer4

Posted July 29, 2007 - 03:20 PM

Thanks, i always get great answers from you!

But how is the bikes maintanance wise? I really want a bike that´s easy to work on so i don´t have to let a workshop do it with majorly overprised costs that follows.

Would you say that with all those modifications done on the ktm a guy like me 197 cm would be comfortable on it, being able to have the proper standing position and all that? Because the Yz is bigger from stock with a taller seat height, and if i get a taller seat and higher handlebars it would probably be more suitable for a tall guy.

Than if both the ktm and yz has all the modifications to make it "roomy" wich bike should i choose than?

Doesn't the KTM have electric start?

Yes the KTM has only electric start. Another mod I tested on the 450SXF was the KTM Hard Parts taller saddle - it would help make the bike fit you better. I liked the comfort but did not like sitting up so high in the corners so I went back to the stock saddle. I think a YZ450F with the low boy Fastway pegs or the new 08 stock pegs (which are wider 55mm and 5mm lower than the previous pegs), taller bars, and a tall saddle would fit well. The KTM has the advantage of (4) positions for the handlebars as delivered so all you would need is the pegs and taller seat. Maintenance wise I think they are the same - just keep fresh oil and filters. The KTM air filter is very easy to change - nice touch. Funny I was at a shop yesterday and sat on a new 08 YZ450F and an 07 450SXF and the KTM was taller (I don;t care what the spec sheets say - it is taller than a YZ). You will enjoy either bike. Hopefully you can get a test ride on both and then decide. Good luck!

• Elvinsson

Posted July 30, 2007 - 12:25 AM

Thanks for all the answers, i will try to test the two bikes before i decide but on the tracks that i ride theres no one with either of the bikes.

And testing them at a dealer would only be driving around on a parking lot or something. But i will think of something.

Thanks again for the tips!

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.