Ok need some honest opinions.

5 replies to this topic
  • matts06yzf

Posted July 28, 2007 - 12:27 PM

As several of you know I am in the market for a new ride. I am going to keep my 06 yami, but I keep reading the goods on the kawasaki 450. I am 6'4 245 pounds and they say the bike is much suited for bigger riders. I ride the hell out of my yamaha and it wont brake . I have so much stuff for the yamaha like talon hubs, new wheels etc etc that I could put on the 08 yamaha but how good is the Kxf, is it as relaible as the yamaha. From what Ive read people just arent having any issues with the new kxf. http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=535077

• Bakemono

Posted July 28, 2007 - 12:30 PM

Last I heard Kawi was still having issues with valve durability. Id personally stick with Yamaha just because they are so reliable and really arent a slouch in terms of performance.
I think that Kawis are really hyped up mostly because of the fact that team Monster/Pro-Circuit Kawi wins all the time, but from those bikes to the KXF you buy off the showroom floor is a night and day difference.
At the races Ive been to in northern Wisconsin and northern Illinois, you see almost every brand of bike and the more often than not the bikes that win are either blue or red.

• 642MX

Posted July 28, 2007 - 12:39 PM

As several of you know I am in the market for a new ride. I am going to keep my 06 yami, but I keep reading the goods on the kawasaki 450. I am 6'4 245 pounds and they say the bike is much suited for bigger riders. I ride the hell out of my yamaha and it wont brake . I have so much stuff for the yamaha like talon hubs, new wheels etc etc that I could put on the 08 yamaha but how good is the Kxf, is it as relaible as the yamaha. From what Ive read people just arent having any issues with the new kxf. http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=535077

The KXF would be the last bike I'd buy. A friend of mine has an 06 that he's parting out because it shot the rod out the drain plug hole. Kawasaki won't help him and the bike is only 6 months old. Furthermore, he even has a deal with Team Green and gets a free KX250F to use every year. And Team Green won't help him with his 450 either.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted July 28, 2007 - 12:48 PM

Honestly Matt - I have been on Yamis for a while now as you know. If I was going to buy a 08, I have to say it would be the KXF450. Why? I think that Kawi this year has the bike that will need the least amt of aftermkt to make it right. I also think Kawi has the motor that I would want powerwise and a suspension/handling/cornering ability to match the motor. I like power. Yamis are fantastic and I have 2 that I will have a long long time....but I have been on them since 98 after being a Red Rider then a Zuk rider and starting with Yami as a kid. Todays Yamis in my opinion are great bikes but I find that I have to dump tons of money into them to make them better. The 08 yami is still so close to the 06 that I see no reason to even consider it. And I even dare say the 08 yami motor is probably the softest of this version. Suspension stock is the best but motor and handling/cornering need to be more on par with the newer 450s in my opinion. There is no question yami has the most durable longest lasting motor out there and I am holding out to buy anything if at all for 09. But for 08.....hands down Kawi would be in my garage. Let the whipping begin......:excuseme:

• Motocroser67

Posted July 28, 2007 - 01:09 PM

man i did this test thing out my local track and the kawi kicked butt. I have a yamaha 250f and my next bike in 2009 is gonna be a kawi there nice

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 28, 2007 - 02:55 PM

I spent much time aboard an '06 YZ450F, and an '06 KXF450F, and as far as motor, the KXF has a brutal, hard hitting engine. Very tough to ride "easy". The KXF seems to just want to crank the power out all the time:eek: .... The KXF's chassis feel longer, and a bit wider (you will probably like this aspect). The KXF seems to handle great, but doest't corner quite as well as a YZ. The KXF handles awesome in all other areas...
The YZ simply put is the cat's a$$ in all aspects of MX IMO.... I could not find a single fault with my buddies' '06 ! I loved it so much I bought an '07 myself !
:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.