02 yz426 White Brothers E series Question need help!

10 replies to this topic
  • mr426

Posted July 28, 2007 - 12:11 PM

Hi, i just got my 02 426. its mostly stock but has the WB e series muffler. i do trail riding so i am looking for good low to mid range power but the guy i got it from did mostly wide open desert riding. this is my first 4 stroke. my question is, what is the deal with the plates on the muffler? what would be a good number of plates for trail riding? i think there is 6 or 7 now but im not with the bike at this time. thanks for any help! oh, also what is a good front and rear sprocket tooth combination for low to mid torque?

• 642MX

Posted July 28, 2007 - 12:34 PM

Hi, i just got my 02 426. its mostly stock but has the WB e series muffler. i do trail riding so i am looking for good low to mid range power but the guy i got it from did mostly wide open desert riding. this is my first 4 stroke. my question is, what is the deal with the plates on the muffler? what would be a good number of plates for trail riding? i think there is 6 or 7 now but im not with the bike at this time. thanks for any help! oh, also what is a good front and rear sprocket tooth combination for low to mid torque?

I use stock gearing for woods riding. (14/49) Adding a tooth or two on the rear may help you.

The WB pipe is a good low end/mid-range pipe. 6 or 7 plates should be sufficient.

• mr426

Posted July 28, 2007 - 01:07 PM

thanks for all the info. so what is the least/most plates you can run? and what is the effect of running less/more plates? thanks again.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted July 28, 2007 - 01:49 PM

Least would be none. Big hit power with no plates installed. Most would be around 12-13 plates. From what I have seen, the more open (less plates) the more hit and response. The more plates, better low-end and torque.

• jayh300

Posted July 28, 2007 - 02:01 PM

when i got my 400 with an "e" already on it, it had 7 plates. My main complaint was it was way loud. I also got a manual on the silencer in the paperwork I got with the bike. They recomend a minimun of 4 plates to equal the flow of a stock pipe. As you add discs you add top end, and sound, as you subtract you add low end and less sound. I have a db meter and mine yz400f with 7 plates was 94db at idle and would blink 100db with any throttle. I am running mine with 4 plates and it is 91db now. and my ears don't ring after riding it. I trail ride mine all the time and it is 14/51 and no complaints.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mr426

Posted July 28, 2007 - 02:18 PM

i forgot to mention that i have the spark arrestor in it so if ther were 0 plates wouldnt ther be no place for the exhaust to come out? is only using 4 plates gonna cause too much back pressure?

• jayh300

Posted July 28, 2007 - 02:20 PM

4 is what i run in mine and it has the arrestor also.
and correct, you could not run 0 with the arrestor.
mine was just way too loud with 7.

• mr426

Posted July 28, 2007 - 02:22 PM

so 4 with the arrestor would give me better low end hit than my 7 that i have now? thanks for all the help!!!

• jayh300

Posted July 28, 2007 - 02:27 PM

thats the way i read it. if i had a scanner here I would scan it and send you a copy, but I don't. I did not notice a lot of change from the 7 to the 4 except the noise level. Don't know if you have to meet and db level to ride where you are. We only trail ride, so if I lost any top end, I don't miss it.

• mr426

Posted July 28, 2007 - 02:30 PM

ya, same here, i just notice that my power hits on top and i always have to wind it up pretty good so i think 4 plates and a 14/51 gearing just might make it perfect for me. we have some sound restrictions but not too harsh.

• Nova1194

Posted July 28, 2007 - 03:36 PM

I cant help you with the E pipe part of you question, but as far as the gearing, I run 14/52 on the trail and love it, just hang on, because it really comes on quick. I run an FMF power core with a spark arrestor and it has much better low and midrange power than the stocker.

Mike

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.