Swingarm pivot nut gone awol '06 YZ450F

7 replies to this topic
  • ben_suhard

Posted July 28, 2007 - 08:37 AM

The nut on my swingarm pivot bolt has gone awol. Yeah, I know, this one's a beauty; hard to believe, but true. I greased everything up and didn't check the nut until it was too late. :bonk: Next time, it's getting the loctite treatment, which is what I should have done the first time.:banghead: Anyway, does anyone know if the hole in the frame that the bolt goes through on the left hand side is larger than the bolt, or is it a tight fit?

• nap__kxf

Posted July 28, 2007 - 08:41 AM

well the hole can't be to tight as you have to use a socket to crank the nut now...but with the socket in there, then there isn't much room left...

• ben_suhard

Posted July 28, 2007 - 08:47 AM

Nah, I mean the first hole, before it opens up for the washer and nut to go on.

• nap__kxf

Posted July 28, 2007 - 08:51 AM

oh...haha. from what i remember on my dad's 06 it was a pretty snug fit. but that was a while ago so i'm basically useless. sorry.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2007 - 09:42 AM

Same size as the bolt plus a smidge for clearance. Why is that an issue?

Sounds like you need to adopt one of the professional practices I learned (the hard way) over the years, to wit: All fasteners are either off of the bike or they are tight.

Don't go sticking a bunch of bolts and nuts on things and leave the loose 'til later except where you need to, like all the bolts in a sprocket, or an engine cover, etc. Wherever it makes sense, put stuff together and tighten it up. I've seen many, many times where stuff just like this happens. Some of them pretty scary stories, too.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 28, 2007 - 10:36 AM

Same size as the bolt plus a smidge for clearance. Why is that an issue?

Sounds like you need to adopt one of the professional practices I learned (the hard way) over the years, to wit: All fasteners are either off of the bike or they are tight.

Well, I was wondering if the hole had been enlarged by the bolt moving around, considering it's only aluminium. It looks like it's larger than it should be. I'm wondering if I should weld a sleeve in there, or maybe even use something like a helicoil or timesert(and drill out the inner threads of course)? It may be difficult to make sure it's centred.
I've got some thin aluminium tubing that's about the same size as needed, I could probably slide it in there as a sleeve and the washer and nut would hold it in place.
Yeah, I must've not had the nut tight enough or forgot about tightening it.:excuseme: I also neglected to check it when I checked the other nuts and bolts, I overlooked it.

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2007 - 11:34 AM

Well, I was wondering if the hole had been enlarged by the bolt moving around, considering it's only aluminium. It looks like it's larger than it should be.

If the bore has been damaged, it should not be uniformly round. Check that.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 29, 2007 - 01:50 AM

If the bore has been damaged, it should not be uniformly round. Check that.

I thought it was round at first, but it looks like the bolt has been pushing forward and down(diagonally). I can't even get the bolt to push through, it'll move in and out a few millimetres(easily) but the head won't go further than the frame(it's not getting stuck on the frame, and it does twist). It seems to be getting caught where the bearings are, I'm guessing. I've been going at it pretty hard with the bfh(I've got a bolt sitting inside it and have been hitting the head of that bolt with the bfh and a big chisel. All that is happening is that bolt head is getting a big cut in it ). I've got the bike on it's side with the shock disconnected from the linkage, the swingarm can wiggle and I've sprayed a heap of WD40 on the pivot bolt, hoping it'll loosen everything up(and I had greased the bolt shaft when I fitted it). I'll leave it over night. The nut's no doubt been missing for a few rides, so I was thinking that somehow the bolt has been mis-shaped and is getting caught(but I think it should have given by now). Hopefully it's seized inside a bearing or spacer and will eventually come loose.:excuseme: I've heard of some people having to use a press to get the bolt out, so I'm thinking of using a puller to get it to push through. What a mess!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.