2 replies to this topic
  • ScottyR

Posted July 03, 2000 - 12:32 PM

I changed my oil today for the first time and when I pulled the filter out it was clogged with a lot of black crud!! Is this normal? I have only put on about 250kms on it. I have been in some major mud and water though. I thought I have read here before something about the first filter change and there being a lot of crap in the filters, but not to be alarmed, is this true, or should I be concerned? I am starting to think that I am not meant to own a 4 stroke and think I might have to go back to a 2 smoker next year!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dougie

Posted July 03, 2000 - 07:32 PM

Sounds normal to me. You should see a good amount of stuff in the filter for the first few changes.

You actually should have changed the oil and filter after the first ride / breakin. Then every 3 or 4 rides or 200 miles. I change mine on that routine and still find stuff in the filter. I clean the filter and use again three times then put a new one in.

Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

• ScottyR

Posted July 04, 2000 - 04:23 AM

That makes me feel a bit better! I did change the oil after my first ride but I didnt have the right tools with me the get the filter off.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.