Float bowl overflow at startup

4 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 17, 2000 - 02:15 AM

Just bought a new 2000 WR400 in Calgary, Canada (altitude here is 3300ft)and whenever it doesn't start on the first kick it starts to drip fuel out the drain hose on the bottom of the bike. (A fairly large size spot on the garage floor)

Our temp in the last 2 weeks has been between 12 and 20 degrees C, and I've never had to use the cold start choke!? If I get the piston to TDC and give it a good kick it almost always starts on the first try and runs good. (no fuel drippage while running)

I also posted recently concerning a problem with backfiring when closing the throttle after a good blast in 3rd or 4th. Most of the response I got from the pros out there suggested turning out the fuel, pilot, or mixture screw depending on what you decide to call it to richen it up. (Which make me wonder if the fact that I don't need the choke to start means the mixture is already too rich?) I turned it out 1/4 from factory (now at 1 3/4, but haven't had a chance to really test it, as I can't hit the high revs in my back alley!) I'm going riding in the mountain foothills on Sunday and want to make sure everything is OK. From my first good ride I can tell this bike kicks butt, it just doesn't seem right for a new machine to backfire and spill out fuel!!

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced these problems! My dealer is really no help at all so far.

Please help, I know someone out there has the answers.

Everything on my bike is still stock, including timing and the air box cover.

• HGaither

Posted June 26, 2000 - 05:27 PM

Originally posted by Keeler:
Just bought a new 2000 WR400 in Calgary, Canada (altitude here is 3300ft)and whenever it doesn't start on the first kick it starts to drip fuel out the drain hose on the bottom of the bike. (A fairly large size spot on the garage floor)

Our temp in the last 2 weeks has been between 12 and 20 degrees C, and I've never had to use the cold start choke!? If I get the piston to TDC and give it a good kick it almost always starts on the first try and runs good. (no fuel drippage while running)

I also posted recently concerning a problem with backfiring when closing the throttle after a good blast in 3rd or 4th. Most of the response I got from the pros out there suggested turning out the fuel, pilot, or mixture screw depending on what you decide to call it to richen it up. (Which make me wonder if the fact that I don't need the choke to start means the mixture is already too rich?) I turned it out 1/4 from factory (now at 1 3/4, but haven't had a chance to really test it, as I can't hit the high revs in my back alley!) I'm going riding in the mountain foothills on Sunday and want to make sure everything is OK. From my first good ride I can tell this bike kicks butt, it just doesn't seem right for a new machine to backfire and spill out fuel!!

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced these problems! My dealer is really no help at all so far.

Please help, I know someone out there has the answers.

Everything on my bike is still stock, including timing and the air box cover.

I've read so many cranking procedures that I have decided you have to do what is best for you but sometimes my bike does the drip thing if I use the choke, I usually just twist the throttle 2 times and kick.I know some people say don't touch the throttle, but it works for me. My fuel screw is 2 and a half turns out by the way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RodH

Posted June 27, 2000 - 02:22 AM

That's strange ?
As I rode with 2 other WR400 guys last weekend, and both of them are very experienced with their WRs, and have owned them for a long time. Both bikes wouldn't start, and had fuel pouring out the overflows. At first we thought it was the very cold temperature, but mine started ok, didn;t run 100% but was going. I have found WR's to be very picky with moist air and very foggy conditions. Still a mystery why they overflowed fuel ? I is a 00 and the other is a 99 model.

------------------
RodH Canberra, Australia<A HREF="http://www.400thumpers.oz-au.com" TARGET=_blank>
400 Thumpers Australia</A>
2000 WR400F See Photo's and Modifications

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 04, 2000 - 12:36 PM

I`ve got the same problem,if the bike doesn`t start on the 2-3 kicks it starts to drip fuel ,the only way to get it started is to change the plug and then it fires up on the first kick.if you find any a way to solve this problem please let us all now what you did.:confused
00 wr4 lid off HGS exhaust Afam flex system

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 04, 2000 - 12:38 PM

I`ve got the same problem,if the bike doesn`t start on the 2-3 kicks it starts to drip fuel ,the only way to get it started is to change the plug and then it fires up on the first kick.if you find any a way to solve this problem please let us all now what you did. :)
--------------------------
00 wr4 lid off HGS exhaust Afam flex system

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.