is this normal??

13 replies to this topic
  • bigwake

Posted July 27, 2007 - 05:49 PM

so i finally finished working on my 03 yz450f i bought..fired it up 2night in my garage and the pipe was firey red! pretty cool!..and then once the bike warmed up and i adjusted the idle back down..i was hitting the throttle a little and a 6 inch flame shot out the back of the muffler..is that normal? the bike had been sitting a while..any help? thanx-josh

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 27, 2007 - 06:33 PM

Your jetting maybe a little on the lean side.......When I say jetting I mean the jet needle. You may want to take the jet needle out and put it in the #4clip position,start at the top of the needle and count the # of rings down and see where the clip is at,if it is not in the #4 then try it there to see if it takes that fire shooting out the exhaust out. I bought a DRD full exhaust system for my 06 and had the same problem.When I gave it gas fire would shoot out the exhaust about three feet. So I had to richen up the jet needle a bit.......just one clip position. Hope this helps out

• bigwake

Posted July 27, 2007 - 06:36 PM

i may be wrong..but i don't think that's what happened..my bike i sall stock..and has never been opened or adjusted..but i will look into it! thanx!-josh

• 642MX

Posted July 27, 2007 - 06:56 PM

Grayracer had the same problem. I think he has a picture of it..... :smirk:

Maybe he'll be kind enough to post it.......

• bigwake

Posted July 27, 2007 - 07:10 PM

haha i wouldn't mind seeing it :)

• crazyal426

Posted July 27, 2007 - 09:59 PM

Stainless header Yamaha thing. They all do it on initial fire up. You only notice it if you are looking and the lights are down. Check your plug to be safe, but this happens to all of them.
Good luck!

• bigwake

Posted July 28, 2007 - 04:37 AM

thanx! and yes..it was in the dark so i could see the light of the pipe very well..and i had just put a new plug an doil and radiator on the bike..maybe it just needed to wake up! haha..-josh

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pmoravek

Posted July 28, 2007 - 07:51 AM

I just bought an 01 426 and it does the exact same thing.
(Only the glowing..although the flame thing sounds pretty cool)
I was a litttle concerned, but I am told it is pretty common.

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2007 - 07:55 AM

Grayracer had the same problem. I think he has a picture of it..... :smirk:

Maybe he'll be kind enough to post it.......

It's 100% normal, especially with a Ti header.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=236304

Like 642 said, mine does the same thing. (where's GA426owner?)

Posted Image

• jayh300

Posted July 28, 2007 - 07:59 AM

i love that pix..... get the marshmellows and wieners boys !!!!!!

• crazyal426

Posted July 28, 2007 - 09:03 AM

You might be a redneck if.........
hahaha
You rock Grey!!!!!

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2007 - 09:56 AM

You might be a redneck if.........

:lol: Posted Image :smirk:

• 642MX

Posted July 28, 2007 - 12:24 PM

It's 100% normal, especially with a Ti header.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=236304

Like 642 said, mine does the same thing. (where's GA426owner?)

Posted Image

I still laugh when I see that picture.........

• Motocroser67

Posted July 28, 2007 - 01:05 PM

maybe there isn't a spark arrester in there

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.