Rerouting carb vent hoses

3 replies to this topic
  • ScottyR

Posted July 02, 2000 - 04:59 PM

Can the pink hoses that hang out from under the cases be rerouted? I am having a bi--h of a time with my bike stalling in the water and not being able to restart it. I wondered if I just cut them shorter so they only hang a 3-4 off of the carbs if that would help. I would think that they would have to hang below the carbs or I would run them under the seat. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Kris_Stratton

Posted July 03, 2000 - 03:47 AM

Hey Scott,
I have a stock YZ400 and have shortened all those carb hoses. They are all just a few inches below the carb now. I did this because riding in the mud they were getting plugged and stalling out the bike. They have more protection up under the carb then down near the rear wheel. The thing that you should not be doing though is restarting your bike in water deep enough to cover the breather tube that comes down from the head. This tube will suck up water back into the head. :) I play in the water all the time, no problems. :D Have never tried to resart my bike in the water due to the fact that I have not rerouted the vent tube from the head yet. I have gone through water that covered the front numberplate without stalling. When it starts to get that deep I use a lot engine RPM's and also try to lift the front wheel up to. I actually just buried my bike for the first time last weekend. :D I didn't know how deep the water was. :D It ended up being over the handlebars. :D Easy to get going again though. :D Pulled the tank and seat, with the bike upside down kick over several hundered times (until no more water came out), drain the carb several times to flush it out, new plug installed, STARTED on the second kick!! :D :D Has anyone rerouted the vent hose?? I have seen other posts were guys have talked about it. I don't want to put a filter on the end of it. I don't think that soaking the filter in water will do it much good.

------------------
99 YZ400 Stock!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Howard_Robbins

Posted July 03, 2000 - 09:49 PM

I have my case vent reruted under my seat.
the bend on the top of the hose is almost
perfect. Iuse to have a prob with stalling
when stuck in deep mud or water, but not
any more.It gets alittle oil under the seat
but not much.

• 427fastback

Posted July 03, 2000 - 09:54 PM

Originally posted by Kris Stratton:
Hey Scott,
I have a stock YZ400 and have shortened all those carb hoses. They are all just a few inches below the carb now. I did this because riding in the mud they were getting plugged and stalling out the bike. They have more protection up under the carb then down near the rear wheel. The thing that you should not be doing though is restarting your bike in water deep enough to cover the breather tube that comes down from the head. This tube will suck up water back into the head. :) I play in the water all the time, no problems. :D Have never tried to resart my bike in the water due to the fact that I have not rerouted the vent tube from the head yet. I have gone through water that covered the front numberplate without stalling. When it starts to get that deep I use a lot engine RPM's and also try to lift the front wheel up to. I actually just buried my bike for the first time last weekend. :D I didn't know how deep the water was. :D It ended up being over the handlebars. :D Easy to get going again though. :D Pulled the tank and seat, with the bike upside down kick over several hundered times (until no more water came out), drain the carb several times to flush it out, new plug installed, STARTED on the second kick!! :D :D Has anyone rerouted the vent hose?? I have seen other posts were guys have talked about it. I don't want to put a filter on the end of it. I don't think that soaking the filter in water will do it much good.

The 400 has four vent hoses on the carb.(two on each side)They already have tees in them.Take the two vent hoses that run up and loop back down again and run them into your air box,leave the other two(one on each side)in the stock location.This solves all the problems of the carb not breathing properly in deep water crossings or plugged vent hoses from mud.They even make vent boxes that you can install in your air box and plug your hoses into.I just hang mine in the top of the box and cut the ends at an angle.Worked for me..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.