anyone else with a high mileage WR400?

5 replies to this topic
  • GPS Dual Sport

Posted July 01, 2000 - 08:38 AM

Has anyone replaced piston rings on their WR400 for routine maintenance?
What was your mileage/hours when you changed them?
I got my 98 WR400 when the were first available. I now have nearly 4000 miles on the bike, mostly dual sport stuff.
So far the only trip inside the motor was a valve adjustment at 800 miles. Both exhaust valves tightened up to the lower limit for clearance.
Compression still feels good and the bike starts within two kicks cold. The motor runs great like the day I brought it.
I firmly believe 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' but routine maintenance sames big bucks.
Is there anyone else out there in the high mileage zone?

Zaknavage,
Huntington Beach, SoCal

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 01, 2000 - 09:05 PM

I RIDE WITH A FRIEND WHO HAS A 1998 MODEL
GREEN LANE USE HE HAS 5500 MILE'S NEVER EVEN DONE THE VALVE'S ? WE WAIT TO SEE WHAT BLOWS FIRST.

• RodH

Posted July 01, 2000 - 11:23 PM

I know of a few 98 models that have over 10,000kms on them, and they don't use oil, and one has only lost 1/2 a horse power on the dyno.
Sidetrack magazine pulled down a 98 model that had 9,500kms on it, and the condition of the motor was great, they said it should have been left alone.
And this is the bike that crossed Australia in record time.

------------------
RodH Canberra, Australia<A HREF="http://www.400thumpers.oz-au.com" TARGET=_blank>
400 Thumpers Australia</A>
2000 WR400F See Photo's and Modifications

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gary_Martin

Posted July 02, 2000 - 03:40 AM

My WR has around 5 or 6 thousand kms on it. I bought it secondhand from a friend of my brother in laws who rode it hard but kept the oil up etc.

It has just needed the fifth gear (and the two beside it) replaced as a result of a bent selector fork (all up about $850AU) - while apart the engine was inspected...with all parts showing next to no wear (hone marks still visible in bore etc, rings not needing replacement but replaced anyway, valves spot-on etc etc etc).

Anyway - I am now of the firm beleif that these WRs are near bulletproof; stick with the "if it aint broke" syndrome (apart from checking the carby slide every few thousand kms and normal maintenance).

Cheers
Gary

• Grum_from_Oz

Posted July 02, 2000 - 02:36 PM

Hey Gary,
did you ever re-visit the guy that tested your bike on the dyno for Tingate pipe performance and play with the jetting? If so what changes did you make? What jetting are you running at the moment and are you happy with your bikes performance? Just a few questions for ya.
Cheers.
Simon Grummett. :)

• Mech

Posted July 03, 2000 - 07:26 AM

Hey,
I got 98WR with 20000km out of my WR and is still running great. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.