factory torque specs??

11 replies to this topic
  • frankycottonrow

Posted July 27, 2007 - 02:58 PM

Does anyone know the factory torque specs for rear sprocket on 07 YZ 450?? Thanks.

• Wiz636

Posted July 27, 2007 - 03:05 PM

Does anyone know the factory torque specs for rear sprocket on 07 YZ 450?? Thanks.

Off the top of my head I'm going to say 30 ft/lbs...but if you have an '07 I'm assuming you got it new and should have the manual, right?

• frankycottonrow

Posted July 27, 2007 - 05:11 PM

yeah, about that manual, Its used and I've only had it two weeks. Dude bought it and it was too much so he took it back. I've got the 51 sprocket and o ring chain among other goodies ready to put on so I was just wondering about the tourque specs. thanks:ride:

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 27, 2007 - 06:40 PM

yeah, about that manual, Its used and I've only had it two weeks. Dude bought it and it was too much so he took it back. I've got the 51 sprocket and o ring chain among other goodies ready to put on so I was just wondering about the tourque specs. thanks:ride:

I wouldnt worry so much about the torque specs on the rear as long as you use some loctite on the threads:thumbsup: of the sprocket bolts. I use the blue kind and tighten the sprocket bolts down in a crisscross pattern until I get them fairly tite and mine have allways stayed on. They are not that hard to take off either when replacing the rear sprocket.

• Wiz636

Posted July 27, 2007 - 06:48 PM

I just checked my manual...it is 30 ft/lbs

• WB450

Posted July 27, 2007 - 07:31 PM

As tight as you can get them should be good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted July 27, 2007 - 07:42 PM

As tight as you can get them should be good.

Lol...tighten them until it strips then back it off a 1/4 turn.

• shortburb

Posted July 27, 2007 - 07:44 PM

30/lbs sounds light!

• Wiz636

Posted July 27, 2007 - 07:52 PM

30/lbs sounds light!

Why? They are self locking nuts...

I'm guessing that Yamaha knows what they are doing.

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted July 27, 2007 - 09:09 PM

no they dont. on my buddy's bike he did no locktite. 30 ftlbs, on self locking bolts. after 3/4 of a moto on the berm after the whoops his sprocket tore apart his rear hub.. id do the locktite at like real tight.

• shortburb

Posted July 28, 2007 - 05:09 AM

the rear sprocket use to come loose on my 125 fairly easily to where i was checking it every ride....those bolts see all the fury/vibration the motor puts out

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2007 - 08:23 AM

yeah, about that manual, Its used and I've only had it two weeks.

See if this fixes that for you:

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

no they dont. on my buddy's bike he did no locktite. 30 ftlbs, on self locking bolts. after 3/4 of a moto on the berm after the whoops his sprocket tore apart his rear hub..

Perhaps you can explain why I've never had a problem with this, and don't use Loc-Tite on the YZF's (because they have lock nuts)?

If your buddy had a hub that already had damage to the sprocket mounting tabs from being run with a loose sprocket (holes slotted and burred), then that may have contributed, but most of the time, the cause of a rear hub flange being broken is an overly tight rear chain.

Also, when tightening the bolts, hold the bolt, and torque the nut. 30 pounds that way will be tighter than 30 pounds torquing the bolt. I don't generally use a torque wrench for this job, but I'd venture that I run them down more than 30 ft/lbs, too.

In case you're wondering how one would use a torque wrench on the nuts, where a box end is required, use a "torque adapter". This looks like a short box end wrench with a 3/8" square drive socket on one end, and it goes on the torque wrench at right angles to the handle.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.