Hot off the press !!

9 replies to this topic
  • RodH

Posted June 29, 2000 - 04:17 PM

Not exactly WR news, but you will be glad that you have a WR when you read this.

You probably know about the DR-Z that Mike Keidrowski (spelling??) has got, and all the trick gear on it. Anyway when they finally got it to put the same power as the YZ/WR400's that say Randy Hawkins or whoever is riding the engine would let go. They blew up 19 engines trying to extract WR performance from the DR-Z400, and now they have given up and he has gone back to the RMX.

------------------
RodH Canberra, Australia<A HREF="http://www.400thumpers.oz-au.com" TARGET=_blank>
400 Thumpers Australia</A>
2000 WR400F See Photo's and Modifications

• Matt_Porritt

Posted June 29, 2000 - 09:42 PM

I rode one this arvo (1st ride in 6 months)
It was very tractable and reved OK (had a DSP pipe) but it needed another 1000rpm as I was always hitting the limiter.
Will have to ride my 400 before and after it sometime to compare.. but i think it would have been down a couple of ponies to the YZ in the mid-top region.. possibly a little more bottom.. but not enought to rant and rave about.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

• borsy

Posted June 30, 2000 - 01:57 AM

So are you saying a stock or even modified
DRZ is a piece of junk? compared to a WR.
Keidrowski's bike had to run $300 a gal race fuel can't tell me that it wasn't heavily
modified, How many times has Ty Davis blown
up or DNF on his WR ? maybe not 19 but it's been a few, anyone who races knows once you
modify a motor pretty extensively, you could be in for trouble, Dirtrider.net had a post
from the guys from BBR saying they prefer to ride their modified DRZ over their YZ/WR. does that mean one is much better than the other? The Dirt Rags say it's a pretty close comparsion WR better in high speed open areas, Drz better in tighter woods
Yes, I ride a DRZ, yes I've owned & ridden a WR, I tried the DRZ because it felt more nimble and easier to handle in the woods here
in MI. when I get a chance to ride a new Yammie YZ250f that may be a better choice even yet. It's all about riding style and
preference.

• paul913

Posted June 30, 2000 - 04:54 AM

Let’s all remember the Tortoise and Hare article that appeared early this spring. They ran two WR’s in the ‘24 hours and Ellsinore’ torture test. One of them highly modified and one of them stone stock. Well if you don’t recall, the WR420 with a hydraulic clutch was blowing up every half hour for the first 2 of a 24-hour race before its DNF. The stock bike finished high in the standings.

The DRZ is a great machine. It is an able player in our new performance 4-stroke market. I don’t think Suzuki is really marketing the thing for the Randy Hawkins and Ty Davises of the world. They would much rather steal half of Honda’s XR400 customers. Better or worse than a WR? That’s personal preference. I know it’s far better than anything Kawasaki or Honda have to show!

Jake

• MotoGreg

Posted June 30, 2000 - 04:51 PM

Suzuki has already sold more drz's than Yamaha sold yz400's in their first year ('98) according to a friend of mine in the dirtbike industry. Also, Suzuki will have a 250 four stroke for '01 but I don't know yet if it'll be a MX'r like the yz250f or a smaller version of the drz (most likely).

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGreg

Posted June 30, 2000 - 04:51 PM

Suzuki has already sold more drz's than Yamaha sold yz400's in their first year ('98) according to a friend of mine in the dirtbike industry. Also, Suzuki will have a 250 four stroke for '01 but I don't know yet if it'll be a MX'r like the yz250f or a smaller version of the drz (most likely).

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11

• MotoGreg

Posted June 30, 2000 - 04:52 PM

Sorry I double posted. Why won't this let me delete my post like I can on other UBB's?

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 02, 2000 - 04:57 PM

Just got back this evening from a group ride this weekend.Three WR's,KLX300,DRZ400,KTM 520,and a few others. We were running the enduro trails up in Black River Falls WI. The brand new KTM had to turn around and head back about 5 miles in, because it kept stalling and wouldn't restart. The rest of us rode the 26 mile loop and the 9 mile loop. We were switching bikes between ourselves, and found out alot about each others bikes. First off, if you like the surefooted feeling of a WR through sand whoops and the like, you will HATE the DRZ. If you like the way a DRZ rides then you will HATE the WR. You can't compare the bikes. It's like preffering a blonde to a red head. BUT, everyone agreed, that the KLX is an Awsome woods machine. If the rumor is true that Kawasaki has a big bore 4 stroke coming out,then we might all be changing our tune.Until then I'll keep riding my WR and enjoying all of it's good and bad points.

• Heywood

Posted July 03, 2000 - 11:23 AM

MotoGreg:

When you edit a post (the icon that looks like a pencil and paper) there is a checkbox to delete the post in there.

• MotoGreg

Posted July 03, 2000 - 05:09 PM

When you edit a post (the icon that looks like a pencil and paper) there is a checkbox to delete the post in there

Ya, I'm on several Ultimate Bulletin Board's but on this one Brian doesn't have that feature enabled.

PS- Heywood, I know you live close by. Good news, the old Saddleback Park MX track will be re-opened soon!!!

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.