Safety Wire Size

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 28, 2000 - 05:48 PM

What gauge of wire do you use to wire your grips and/or other parts on your bike? I bought some 24 gauge steel wire but wanted to ask before using.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 29, 2000 - 09:22 PM

BTW, the 24 gauge is rated at 10 pounds.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 29, 2000 - 10:42 AM

You use stainless steel safety wire, not regular steel wire, cause it breaks too easily, its available at aircraft supply shops in 2 guages, I use the lighter stuff which is 25 thousandths of an inch diameter, you will also need a pair of safety wire pliers, about $20 to $30.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted June 29, 2000 - 12:23 PM

There is available that safety wire thing, I don't even know what it's called, some sort of looped gizmo for twisting safety wire. Skip that goofy thing and like DeBarker said, get real safety wire pliers. I use mine ALL THE TIME. You won't regret it.

• Heywood

Posted June 30, 2000 - 10:01 AM

I have 0.032" diameter stainless. It is available from White Bros. About $20.00 for a big roll.

And I agree - Definately get the pliers....

[This message has been edited by Heywood (edited 06-30-2000).]

• Bryan Bosch

Posted July 03, 2000 - 09:26 PM

I've been using standard residential copper wire (romex) and it works great! When you twist the wire it stretches nicely and the knot can be flattend into the grip with a hammer. The bottom-line is that I never had a grip spin on the bar. Even after the grip end was torn and moisture could get under the grip. The wire is cheap too.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.