Zip Ty Carb Mod Question

18 replies to this topic
  • DesertRacer2

Posted July 27, 2007 - 01:13 PM

I just got my carb back from Zip Ty and put everything back together. Everything seems fine except when I turn the throttle past the half way point with the engine off it seems to have a very slight drag feeling. There is plenty of slack in the cables and everything functions fine. I am just wondering if this is normal after the mod or if I screwed something up. My brothers bike doesn't have the mod and his throttle is smooth the whole way through. Any light shed on this would be appreciated!

• Wiz636

Posted July 27, 2007 - 01:47 PM

I didn't notice anything like that with mine. Could be something as simple as the dust boot on the throttle tube assembly dragging on your grip. Check the easy stuff first!

• DesertRacer2

Posted July 27, 2007 - 02:46 PM

I checked the little stuff first stuff and it is still doing it. Its not bad and is still smooth, just seems different. I am wondering if its the new accelerator pump linkage they installed.

• WB450

Posted July 27, 2007 - 07:37 PM

Mine is smooth, I would re check the linkage at the carb end.

• DesertRacer2

Posted July 27, 2007 - 08:29 PM

I did a little experiment. I drained the float bowl and the drag went away when the carb is dry. Turned the gas back on and it comes back as the carb fills up. It leads me to believe its from the mod and this is normal.

• Slinkyman16

Posted July 27, 2007 - 08:47 PM

i would belive if thats the case that the linkage could use a break in period.. but on a side note let us all know how the new mod is working out.

• luissuperdog

Posted July 27, 2007 - 08:59 PM

fireup and run it.......Then you'll know

• DesertRacer2

Posted July 27, 2007 - 09:25 PM

Ran it up and down the street, runs like a bat out of hell. Great power response. The real test will be on Sunday. Got to get a 100 mile ride it before it gets too hot.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 28, 2007 - 07:20 AM

sounds to me like the cables or the throttletube is dragging.........
Not sure why it would go away when the gas is emptied...strange
Run on Sunday and see if the throttle frees up
also take note of how much better it will be......bike is amazing the first time on it from this mod:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RideRaceLive123

Posted July 28, 2007 - 08:01 AM

Too long of diaphragm rivet???

• runester

Posted July 28, 2007 - 08:16 AM

Too long of diaphragm rivet???

Zip ty grinds the rivet down...thats part of the mod, but only required on CRF's

• nap__kxf

Posted July 28, 2007 - 08:38 AM

its probably getting flooded and the new accelorator pump can only pump so much gas through until the carb is flooded and half throttle might be that time for you. that is if the bike isn't running.

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2007 - 09:32 AM

Carbs don't flood, engines do.

If the resistance goes away when the carb is drained, and is present when it's full, it obviously is a result of the fact that the accelerator pump linkage is directly connected (wired), whereas before, it was driven by a spring. It's simply that you can now feel it.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 28, 2007 - 12:58 PM

Thinking about this more.....that new linkage kit....did it include a new spring? Possible that the spring is stiffer or more progressive (like the Tokyo Mods spring option). When my carb was done and reinstalled - the wire made no difference in throttle pull...ride the hell out it and see if it frees up some

• DesertRacer2

Posted July 28, 2007 - 07:35 PM

The new linkage kit did include a new spring. They also returned my old linkage and old spring. Its starting to sound more and more that this is normal.

• rooster wrooster

Posted July 29, 2007 - 05:11 AM

I put my zip-ty'd carb back on a few weeks ago and that was one of the first things I noticed. Its only a very slight increase in resistance but it is noticeable.

• DesertRacer2

Posted July 29, 2007 - 02:38 PM

I took the bike out today and it was great! Great throttle response, more power, and no more bog. The jetting of 45/165 they recommended was great for Lucerne Valley this time of year. Overall the power increase and delivery is great and I am glad I did this mod.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 29, 2007 - 03:36 PM

Did the throttle resistance stay the same...or are you just use to it now?
I say it is the spring they use,,,,:applause:

• DesertRacer2

Posted July 29, 2007 - 06:54 PM

It did stay the same. I only notice it when I turn the throttle before I start the bike. Once running, I never notice it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.