valve Clearances

4 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 29, 2000 - 12:50 PM

Has anyone needed to adjust their valve clearances ?
My '00 WR400 has done 700km and when warm sounds a little rattley at the top end - not excessive , but rattely nonetheless.
i changed the oil and filter at 80km, 200km, 350km , 500 km, and 650km . I have been using Putoline SYNTEC 4+ and have only just started to open the beast up after running in.
Is it worth getting the valve clearances checked or am I paranoid ???

Andy Baker
Birmingham uk

• Kenwood

Posted June 29, 2000 - 03:20 PM

Hey Andy,
Well the first mistake you made is in waiting so long to open her up. (Just Kidding) I ran my WR for 600 miles and the dealer said bring it back in at that time for a valve adjustment among other things. So, it sounds like your due.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Andy_Baker

Posted July 01, 2000 - 05:53 AM

Originally posted by Kenwood:
Hey Andy,
Well the first mistake you made is in waiting so long to open her up. (Just Kidding) I ran my WR for 600 miles and the dealer said bring it back in at that time for a valve adjustment among other things. So, it sounds like your due.

Thanks for the reply
Did your dealer adjust the valves or just check them ?
My local dealer deals with loads of WR400s , but cant give me a price to adjust them as they have never done one before - they reckon you dont have to touch them ?
What do you think

• Scott_F

Posted July 01, 2000 - 07:22 AM

It's not that hard to pull the valve cover and check the clearance yourself. I have raced a YZF for a year without needing to change valve shims. The clearance was virtually unchanged.

• Andy_Baker

Posted July 02, 2000 - 01:02 AM

Your'e right - I think i'll just have a fiddle myself and see what the clearances are , then take it from there.
thanks for your input
Andy

Originally posted by Scott F:
It's not that hard to pull the valve cover and check the clearance yourself. I have raced a YZF for a year without needing to change valve shims. The clearance was virtually unchanged.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.