06 yz450f header on 07 wr450f

21 replies to this topic
  • erickdj

Posted July 27, 2007 - 09:57 AM

Does anyone know if a 2006 yz450 header would fit on a 07 wr450? I already have the 2006 yz muffler and it fits the bike as is, but I'm wondering if it would fit where the header connects to the head of the engine. I know the yz header is slightly bigger in diameter than the wr header, and that's the reason I would like to put one on my wr. I'm just not sure if it would fit the WR head. If it does then I would have a full yz exhaust, much cheaper than buying any other aftermarket exhaust for the WR. I'll appreciate any info I can get about this. :ride: :applause:

• Murray Dorward

Posted July 27, 2007 - 10:51 AM

:sa: :ride: When I Bought my WR450 '07 in december last year, I fitted a GYTR silencer and it did not fit the '07 header pipe. We had to use the stock gasket and fit it into the '06 GYTR silencer. As far as I know the '06 YZ450 header pipe should fit, if I'm not mistaken it also has a power bomb standard as the '07 doesn't. I dont know why Yamaha removed it.

Cheers

Muz
:ride: :sa: :ride:

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 27, 2007 - 10:59 AM

Like Murray said the 06 and 07 YZ headers fit.

In 07 they went to a steped header (like DR.D). The US never had the powerbomb style header because of an FMF patent

• erickdj

Posted July 27, 2007 - 11:04 AM

Thanks Muz. You're right about the yz pipe not being a straight fit to the wr header. I forgot to mention that I also had to use the stock wr gasket on the yz pipe, but other than that it was a straight fit. I'm really interested in being able to use the 06 yz header because I could get a Pro Circuit header for the 06 yz at a really attractive price. I'm slowly trying to unleash all the power that I can out of my wr without breaking the bank. Anyone else have experience with yz exhausts???

• Murray Dorward

Posted July 28, 2007 - 04:10 AM

Thanks for that info about the power-bomb header. I first saw it on on FMF header then I saw a stock yz450 '06 pipe and they looked the almost the same to me. Didn't know the USA didn't get them because of a patent. Funny that South Africa got them. Must be a US patent and not world patent. Still wonder why Yamaha dropped it ?

Cheers

Muz

• erickdj

Posted July 28, 2007 - 09:16 PM

I took a 70 mile ride with some guys from TT, the bike feels pretty good as it is, almost stock with a couple of free mods. I'm really looking forward to the full yz exhaust, this thing is going to be one scary machine once i'm done with it. :eek:

• fitzy

Posted July 30, 2007 - 02:11 AM

The YZ header, 07 makes a bigger difference than the muffler. I use the YZ full system for racing and then put the uncorked WR muffler on for trail riding, with the YZ header
The full YZ system will give you more top end:thumbsup:

• erickdj

Posted July 30, 2007 - 07:14 AM

I'm buying the 06 header, would the 07 have been much better?

• SXP

Posted July 30, 2007 - 08:29 AM

Let us know how much the header ends up costing you. I may end up buying one too. Thanks.

• erickdj

Posted July 30, 2007 - 08:41 AM

Let us know how much the header ends up costing you. I may end up buying one too. Thanks.

I found the header on ebay for $90, plus $12 sh/h. It's not a stock header, it's a Pro Circuit header, brand new in the packaging. The header is supposed to go for more $$ than that, but for some reason I found it for that price. A little patience and looking on ebay on a regular basis pays off. I got the yz muffler for $50 a while back, I spent another $15 to add a spark arrestor to it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fitzy

Posted July 30, 2007 - 12:53 PM

Don't know?? I would imagine it will be better than stock and as good as the 07:thumbsup:

• erickdj

Posted August 03, 2007 - 12:42 PM

The UPS delivery guy dropped off my Pro Circuit header today!!

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 03, 2007 - 02:34 PM

The UPS delivery guy dropped off my Pro Circuit header today!!

Ride report :prof:

I also wanna see what that bad boy looks like on your bike.

BTW I don't think you'll have to change your jetting. Its kinda on the fat side so that pipe should bring it into the "spot on" catagory.

• erickdj

Posted August 03, 2007 - 02:57 PM

Ride report :prof:

I also wanna see what that bad boy looks like on your bike.

BTW I don't think you'll have to change your jetting. Its kinda on the fat side so that pipe should bring it into the "spot on" catagory.

I will be installing it in a few days, along with the yz muffler. you said that it was running a little rich at the top, so I'll leave the jetting as it is now. I'm running a 48pj and 168mj right now, so it shouldn't be too bad initially. This should go on the bike at the same time as the gytr ais kit and the AP o-ring. I'm getting a little scared....... the bike is going to rip!!! :eek: :ride: :worthy: :worthy: 50+ hp here I come!!! :worthy: :worthy:

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 03, 2007 - 03:08 PM

Can you get another PC header or was that a one time only deal? I've got this crazy idea involving either a YZ muffler or an FMF TI powercore :lol:

• erickdj

Posted August 03, 2007 - 10:36 PM

Can you get another PC header or was that a one time only deal? I've got this crazy idea involving either a YZ muffler or an FMF TI powercore :lol:

I can ask the guy if he's got any more of those headers or if he can get more. I can also send you some pictures of the item if you like, it's still in the bag that it comes in. What's that idea you got on your head?? I'm getting curious about that. :busted:

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 04, 2007 - 11:50 AM

What's that idea you got on your head?? I'm getting curious about that. :busted:

A full exhaust for under $250

• erickdj

Posted August 04, 2007 - 01:52 PM

A full exhaust for under $250

yeah, that's what I'm doing, actually, quite a bit under $250, more like $170. Or $185 if I count the spark arrestor. I sent an e-mail to the guy I bought the header from, I'm waiting to see what he says.

• msgbean

Posted August 04, 2007 - 05:54 PM

Yes the 06 Yz header will fit an 07 WR. I have one on mine. You must use the WR gasket though.

• erickdj

Posted August 05, 2007 - 08:39 PM

I tested the header for fitment on the bike, it fits fine into the head exhaust port, it actually had a little room to spare but nothing to worry about. I used a measuring tape and found out that it's 5/16" thicker in circumference compared to the stock header pipe, it should make a good difference. :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.