What are your guys 07 yz450 jetting at sea level?

5 replies to this topic
  • CO_Rider

Posted July 27, 2007 - 06:54 AM

I am moving to the desert (sea level and pretty hot now-105 to maybe 115 or so) and am trying to get a jetting suggestion for this. I checked the sticky but did not see anybody's 07's specs on there for this altitude. What are you guys running at sea level and with the higher temps? I have an FMF slip on if it makes a difference. Thanks in advance.

• grayracer513

Posted July 27, 2007 - 08:12 AM

If your current jetting is for 5000 ft, and 90 degrees, and you're using a 158 main, the drop to sea level will mean an increase to about a 165. The bump to 110 degrees would mean a step from there to about a 160. In short, you're already pretty close.

But I do have a recommendation for you regarding running around in the desert in the summer: don't.

If you insist, go with a big group of people, preferably some who are familiar with the area, ride in the morning, take lots of water, drink more than you want to, take your own shade, and don't push your luck. It runs out fast in the desert. I love riding there, but I don't go when the temps hit 3 digits. It's too easy to become a statistic.

• bigred455

Posted July 27, 2007 - 02:14 PM

Sea level here in south jersey,155 main on the money with a 42 pilot with my 07 in very warm weather. Avgas 100ll,please no debates. a 160 in warm weather at sea level on pump fuel ,will be more like it for you on the 07.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CO_Rider

Posted July 27, 2007 - 05:51 PM

Thanks fellas. I just want to grab a couple of jets before I go out there so wanted an idea of what you guys were running.

grayracer513- Thanks for the tip:thumbsup: I know what you mean. I have been out there a few times and went riding with some buddies and agree, if it is up around 110 or above :crazy: I just won't ride. Wait until early morning or later afternoon when the temps drop back down into the 90's

• yam314

Posted July 28, 2007 - 06:40 AM

Have you guys found an easy way to change out pilots other than pulling the carb?I made a little screwdriver and used tape to hold the jet to the screwdriver, but it would be cool if I found a better tool to do this.

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2007 - 09:14 AM

It took a small screwdriver and ground narrow groove straight up the middle of the blade. I then soldered a short piece of wire into this so that it sticks out beyond the blade edge. The wire is small enough to run into the larger hole at the bottom of the pilot jet and short enough to let the drive slot in the jet sit down on the blade. That holds the jet on the screwdriver as you insert it into the carb, which can other wise be, um, "challenging" with the carb on the bike. Tools like this are actually available somewhere, and if I had to search for one, I'd try Sudco.

I only use this little gizmo to start the jet. To tighten or loosen I use a precision screwdriver. These are also known as gunsmith's or cabinet maker's screwdrivers. The shank is one size over the entire length, all the way to the end, and the blades are ground undercut, rather than "chisel shaped", like the typical screwdriver blade. This maximizes the contact between the driver and the jet and minimizes the chance of damage to the drive slots.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.