02 WR426 Muffler options

4 replies to this topic
  • Maddeh

Posted July 27, 2007 - 06:41 AM

I just bought this bike this spring, first bike I've actually owned in years, and the first water-cooled 4-stroke I've had as well. I love everything about this bike.

The guy I bought it from had done all the mods, which included removing the stock insert from the tailpipe. I admit I like a loud bike, but I also ride a lot of trails and I don't want to be 'polluting' the environment with noise. What are my options for an aftermarket pipe or insert that will not impact power (or possibly give me a boost), while quieting the noise? I've ridden with guys who have newer WR's, and mine is by far the loudest....

• Fryboy

Posted July 27, 2007 - 08:50 AM

You can buy a GYTR insert that will fit in your stock pipe for around 40 bucks from Yamaha of Troy. Or you can get the other baffle... geez I cant remember the name but I tried that one too. IMO the GYTR baffle is better with stock jetting.

If you want an aftermarket pipe, I'd suggest the FMF Q pipe. I am running this pipe currently and I like it and its about 3 lbs lighter than stock.

Glad you are enjoying your 426 :cheers:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snowman02

Posted July 27, 2007 - 09:24 AM

Madd, I too bought my 426 used, I did all the mods and i first purchased the White Bros. Exhaust and IMO I didnt like it all that much, so i switched and purchased the FMF Powercore4 what a difference it made sounds nice and is just below 96db. But if you search here for exhaust you should find a ton of info. GL

• Maddeh

Posted July 27, 2007 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for the info, any other suggestions keep 'em coming. :)

• 02WR426Cali

Posted July 27, 2007 - 06:30 PM

I've heard nothing but good things about Dr. D but I have not tried one yet. Look into them. I use a stock YZ muffler and it works real well. Sounds a little better and performs a little better as well, though nothing drastic. However it is not a boat anchor like the WR pipe. Once I jetted the carb with the YZ muffler it flat out rips compared to stock jetting and pipe

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.