Airfilter and chain question?

10 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted July 26, 2007 - 07:08 PM

I have a 06 450 and have four NO-toil filters two of which I have had longer than the other two. My question is? the two older airfilters have started coming loose at the top of the seam(where the filter is seamed together) but it is not tore through(just the seam has come apart) Can I still use them or is there a chance that dirt could get through(should I buy two more?).............Now on the chain!..... My sprockets still look pretty good the front one may have a little turn to it and the back also(not much though) So should I get another chain or just wait and get one when it is time to replace the sprockets. I put this chain on when I put the sprockets on and it is a renthal works chain and the sprockets are renthal. I heard that if you replace the chain every so often the sprockets will last longer........I also heard that when the chain gets flat spots in it on the top of the links it is time for another one. Mine has these flat spots so should I just replace the chain and not the sprockets.

• 642MX

Posted July 26, 2007 - 07:19 PM

Never take a chance on something so simple as an air filter. You can buy a box of filters for what your intake valves cost. :thumbsup:

I always replace the chain and sprockets together. A worn sprocket will wear a chain, and vice versa.

I don't replace my chain/sprockets until the rollers come loose, the sprocket teeth lay over, or the chain won't hold an adjustment for more than 2 rides.

I use the Primary Drive stuff from Rocky Mountain. Its inexpensive and durable. You may want to check out the PD stuff out. And don't forget to order an air filter while your there...... :prof:

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 26, 2007 - 07:31 PM

Thanx for the info!....... it was alot of help!

• David37

Posted July 26, 2007 - 08:02 PM

I would try contacting No Toil, they are one of the few companies that understand what the term customer service means! I've sent them a torn Uni air filter and they sent me a brand new No Toil air filter.

Replace both sprockets and chain at the same time. Since your riding a 450F, IMO I woulld spend the $$ on a quality O-ring chain e.g. RK, DID, Tsubaki, etc. and buy stainless steel sprockets such as Sidewinder and Ironman sprockets. A good O-ring chain and stainless steel sprockets should last 2-3 or more riding seasons (depending upon your chain maintenance). My experience with alum. Renthals, they cost too much and wear out too fast.

• Ga450owner

Posted July 27, 2007 - 06:05 AM

I am not a fan of no Toil filters......sorry Eco People

Throw out any filter that is coming apart, seam or no seam - they are trashed
I use what last, WhiteBros airfilters......end of story
Belray liquid Filter oil
Clean with Kerosene then warm soapy water, rinse
I still have good filters 5 years old this way

Chain and sprockets - if the teeth are turned - the sprocket is almost wasted
Renthal sprockets alum have the shortest lifespan
The chain is ok but must be replaced as a complete set....front/rear sprockets and new chain

I only use Ironman Stainless Steel Sprockets and DID ERT2 chains. They last many years before they are trashed and have 1 year guarantee. Until a better drive system is out this is the best for MX and me:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted July 27, 2007 - 06:48 AM

I use the No-toil filters as well...love them. But once you notice any separation the filter is now compromised...time to get rid of it.

Replace your chain and sprockets as a set. In addition to the DID I would also recommend the Regina ORN6 as a top notch chain. Because chain stretch is the primary cause of sprocket wear I have found that as long as you use a good, high quality chain you can use the less expensive steel sprockets and they will last just fine.

• 116CJ

Posted July 27, 2007 - 09:09 AM

i use no toil also. don't know how long you have had the filters but no toil filters come with a 1 year waranty if that helps any.

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted July 27, 2007 - 11:59 AM

What brand of O-ring type chain will fit the 07 YZ450F? I plan to replace the stock stuff when it wears out with steel sprockets and o-ring style chains. However, I've heard that some o-ring chain master links won't fit through the chain guide. Is this true?

• Wiz636

Posted July 27, 2007 - 12:23 PM

I have a Regina ORN6 on my '06 and it works fine. I believe the Regina chain gets it's strength from using high quality steel rather than just making it thicker (and wider) so there are no issues with it rubbing.

• Captaincautious7

Posted July 27, 2007 - 03:51 PM

Same here. Recently put the Regina ORN6 on my 07 and it works fine and I think as of yet only one minor adjustment.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 27, 2007 - 06:54 PM

i use no toil also. don't know how long you have had the filters but no toil filters come with a 1 year waranty if that helps any.

Mine are about three years old.... What do yall think of the RK chains are they pretty good? Like the GB520MXZ3 that is gold plated.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.