oil temp dipstick

21 replies to this topic
  • jeanluconze

Posted July 26, 2007 - 06:09 PM

I finally got one from xrsonly. The temp scale/dial face spins around freely So, if I set 200 deg to be at the top for easy reading while riding it vibrates around and rotates side to side, as if you were spinning the temp probe by hand. It says to adjust it using pliers but it's not even close to being that tight, I can easily spin it by hand with almost no resistance.

Anybody else's do this? Any ideas how to make it stick in one spot and not move around while you're riding?

• Denn10

Posted July 26, 2007 - 07:22 PM

Return it for sure, there not supposed to move that easily. For the money i would get on that works right from the package. I know it sucks but

• Rman of 237

Posted July 26, 2007 - 07:45 PM

Sorry dude:foul: but thats not normal. I have one on my 650 and one on my 400. Not sure which one but one of them was so tight i had to put the stem in a vise to twist it around. I don't know if XR's Only has a quality control issue with this product but when I got my dipstick for the 400 I installed it and didn't test it thoroughly before our next ride and about 30 mins into the ride it started pissin' oil around the glass. I didn't think to bring my stock oil cap with me and that day was shot.:thumbsdn: Called XR's Only:rant: and they sent me a new one right away no prob. The new one works great. A word from the wise, take your stock cap with with you just in case.:prof: Just so you'll know, the glass fogs at first but don't panic as it clears up after a few hours.

Rman....

• Denn10

Posted July 26, 2007 - 08:24 PM

mine didnt fog up im sure that depends the weater of the area your riding in

• Rman of 237

Posted July 26, 2007 - 09:27 PM

mine didnt fog up im sure that depends the weater of the area your riding in

I read somewhere that they switched from plastic to glass and it fixed the fog prob.

• jeanluconze

Posted July 27, 2007 - 07:35 AM

called them, waiting on call back from parts guys to get an exchange. ugh. After waiting for weeks on backorder this makes my free stock plastic dipstick look kinda nice.

• gabriel

Posted July 27, 2007 - 07:45 AM

from what i've read, those dipstick oiil temp guages are pieces of crap.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 27, 2007 - 08:03 AM

I have indeed heard of problems, but mostly they seem to be quite good. No probs. with mine.

Probably about a 10% fallout rate, now that I think about it a bit, which is quite high for a commercial product.

Dave

• Rman of 237

Posted July 27, 2007 - 08:39 AM

If your right and it is 10% then they need to have an ADULT inspect these things before they are packaged.:bonk:

• martinfan30

Posted July 27, 2007 - 11:06 AM

mine was fine. i had to use pliers to "clock" the dial correctly. it did fog up after a wash though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bibleman

Posted July 27, 2007 - 06:16 PM

Ditto what Martinfan said.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted July 27, 2007 - 07:16 PM

I bought one years ago and had the fogging up issue in wet weather. Eventually it rusted inside and quit working. I would not purchase one again. There are alternatives that work better.

I was with a guy the other day who pulled a lazer light or something like that out of his pocket. He pointed it at the radiator or motor and bingo he had a digital read out of the temperature. I think he said it cost less than $30 or maybe it was $20

There are also heat tapes that change color to indicate the temp.

Forget buying that turkey thermometer, it is junk.

• Bibleman

Posted July 27, 2007 - 07:24 PM

Boy, I hope they aren't really that junky. The IR gun would be difficult if not impossible to use while riding and the thermometer tape can't really give you an oil temp reading if I'm not mistaken. I'd like to know what the other alternatives are just in case mine bonks out. I know when I was looking to get mine I couldn't find anything else comparable except the homemade one that someone did a write-up on.

• goblin127

Posted July 28, 2007 - 08:45 AM

Mine looks like the glass is starting to fracture.

• squatpuke

Posted July 28, 2007 - 11:55 AM

My first one leaked...oil would somehow leak onto the top of the crystal.

Called XRO and they replaced at no charge...

Second one works fine...

Neither had the spin problem the OP mentioned.

• martinfan30

Posted July 29, 2007 - 08:55 PM

I bought one years ago and had the fogging up issue in wet weather. Eventually it rusted inside and quit working. I would not purchase one again. There are alternatives that work better.

I was with a guy the other day who pulled a lazer light or something like that out of his pocket. He pointed it at the radiator or motor and bingo he had a digital read out of the temperature. I think he said it cost less than $30 or maybe it was $20

There are also heat tapes that change color to indicate the temp.

Forget buying that turkey thermometer, it is junk.

how else are you going to tell when the oil is right to drop the turkey in??:applause: :crazy: :thumbsup:

• Adamsvh67

Posted August 04, 2007 - 10:52 PM

Bummer.
Grizzly and I just got ours.(month and a half freakin' later :foul: ). Both spin easily. I haven't rode yet, he has. His has condensation(rainy weather).
Thinkin' we'd better send 'em back?
AV

• grizzzly

Posted August 05, 2007 - 12:52 AM

I think that I am going to hammer and counterpunch mine so it doesn’t spin and silicone the glass in
Who built there own and where is it written up at

• Huffa 2

Posted August 05, 2007 - 04:14 AM

I wanted one at 1st, but too many faults with them it seems.

• jeanluconze

Posted August 05, 2007 - 10:08 AM

Bummer.
Grizzly and I just got ours.(month and a half freakin' later :foul: ). Both spin easily. I haven't rode yet, he has. His has condensation(rainy weather).
Thinkin' we'd better send 'em back?
AV

Send em back for sure. I called up and told them what was up with mine. They sent me a new one (doesn't spin) and a return label for the defective one in a few days:thumbsup:. The guy I talked to seemed very familiar with the problem like it happens all the time. I probably won't buy anything else from them.... other than the good return policy, they've been a hassle. They don't even come close to the service, speed, and accuracy I've had with the TT store or even chapparal motorsports. It's just nice how their website is so bike specific...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.