2005 YZ250F to a 2007 YZ450F

6 replies to this topic
  • Yamkifour

Posted July 26, 2007 - 05:26 PM

I was considering a RMZ and a CRF, but after 1st ride I am glad I stayed blue. I have been reading posts about turning issues, but they are myths to this bike. This 450 felt 10 times lighter in turns and in flight than my 250F. I never layed a bike over this far in turns before, and I had complete confidence while doing it. I could pick and change lines mid turn at will. I could constantly adjust and correct my lines all the way through the turn. When the stock tire would not bite in the loose turns, just lay the bike over a little more, roll on more throttle and no problem. Power delivery was smooth. I finished the night on a tight SX track and found my self using 1st alot which was a little weird for me. Not shure if I should change rear sprocket. Still getting use to this though. I need more time on it. I have been on a 250F since 2002.

• Yamahafan

Posted July 27, 2007 - 07:46 AM

Nice report. What was your thoughts on power and power delivery? Do you feel that your 450 tired you out more than the 250?

• Yamkifour

Posted July 27, 2007 - 09:29 AM

I had both stage 1 hot cams in the 250F. First 800 rpms or so had more torque than the 450, but after that forget about it. Had to hang on tighter with legs and arms. Felt a little different sorness and pump, but was very minor. Suspension and bike feel was good enough where I did not get more tired on the 450F. I would like to get a stepped SDG seat to help keep me in the saddle during turns without pulling my pants down (gripper seat). Also a guy at my track had pivoting foot pegs which seams to give awesome foot to peg grip under all riding conditions, I would like a set of them too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skyrider11

Posted July 29, 2007 - 01:59 PM

I've got those pegs on my '06 250f and I can attest that yes, you're boots do stick better because i'm all over the place and the only time I ever think about my contact on the pegs is when i'm amazed that it's still there.

• nap__kxf

Posted July 29, 2007 - 02:07 PM

well the turning problems evolved from the 06 yz450. i have the 07 and it turns on rails for me, its just your style of riding. the rmz does turn better than the yz but i know the yz has a bulletproof engine and its an overall amazing bike. if you're only doing moto i'd first try riding the rmz and the yz in the same day to compare it better. but i'd personally go for the yz because the engine is proven reliable. and a reliable engine would be a better choice for me to a better handling bike, you can adapt to the bike's capabilities but the engine won't adapt to you, and having to rebuild a 4stroke is extremely expensive as you might already know. i have a friend and his dad have an 04 crf250 and a crf450 and they have to rebuild their bikes every season.

• Yamkifour

Posted July 30, 2007 - 02:13 PM

well the turning problems evolved from the 06 yz450. i have the 07 and it turns on rails for me, its just your style of riding. the rmz does turn better than the yz but i know the yz has a bulletproof engine and its an overall amazing bike. if you're only doing moto i'd first try riding the rmz and the yz in the same day to compare it better. but i'd personally go for the yz because the engine is proven reliable. and a reliable engine would be a better choice for me to a better handling bike, you can adapt to the bike's capabilities but the engine won't adapt to you, and having to rebuild a 4stroke is extremely expensive as you might already know. i have a friend and his dad have an 04 crf250 and a crf450 and they have to rebuild their bikes every season.

Well I did get the 2007 YZZ450F. Had my second ride last night and I can say the suspension is now broken in. This bike was amazing. I went with Grayracer specs of 95mm sag and 5mm fork tubes raised. This bike cornered awesome!!!!!!!!!! I got to ride back to back with my bike and a 2007 CRF450. I perferred my bike in all catagories with exception to off idle torque and crispness. I havent touched jetting or pilot yet although. Again I can say this bike turns awesome and true(stock crappy tire too). Hands down best bike I have ever ridden.

• Yamkifour

Posted July 30, 2007 - 02:15 PM

Forgot to mention I ordered a SDG stepped seat. Should be in mid Aug. I still want to get Pivot pegs some time after seat arrives.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.