Fording River Or Stream With Hot Engine. Got any pics of water crossings?

19 replies to this topic
  • gabriel

Posted July 26, 2007 - 05:23 PM

Hello all,

My question is this: Will fording a deep stream or river with a hot XR 650L engine damage it? Other than water being sucked through the intake, will water up to the level of the cooling fins damage the metal or anything else? How deep have you forded water with your XRL? Got any pics of water crossings?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

• Denn10

Posted July 26, 2007 - 08:27 PM

Yes it could very well do damage as most streams or crossings are cool water as you know and if you get it deep enough that its sitting in water, i would be very careful. NOW blasting thru a shallow crossing wont bother it nearly as much as your just gonna give it a quick splash. Neither is that good on hot metal but if your not too crazy you prolly wont hurt anything.

Saw some pics i think on the dual sport forum and there were alot of h2o crossings

• NavyNuke

Posted July 26, 2007 - 08:49 PM

not an XR, but this sort of stuff hasn't damaged anything yet.
Posted Image

done lots of water crossings on my 650R as well, even up to the axles, and a bit above, no issues. some were long wide crossings.

Drowned a WR450 too, no motor damage, just needed to be dryed out and have the oil systems flushed out really good.

• jetfuel

Posted July 26, 2007 - 08:53 PM

I really wouldn't be that concerned ... sucking the water in is what does the damage being that water can't compress like air ... I've done it for 30 years and never had a problem on any of my 20+ bikes and neither have my friends.. just don't get it in the air box.. and you'll be fine... I would also recheck the oil after alot of crossings to make sure water didn't find its way in just to be safe .

• jetfuel

Posted July 26, 2007 - 09:02 PM

here I just found this... http://www.thumperta...water crossings

• Kawabuggy

Posted July 27, 2007 - 05:48 AM

There is a water crossing where we usually ride. Normally it is about 1'-2' deep.
We have had a bunch of rain lately, and I did not realize how much higher it was. This is basically a concrete culvert that is paved all the way up both sides, with a concrete bottom. The drop off in, and the otherside coming out are extremely steep. Going in, you have to gas it and have enough speed to carry you up the other side. Otherwise, without enough speed, your rear tire will spin on the other side trying to get up due to the water, mud, and algae that you are now carrying on the rear tire, and that is dripping onto the rear tire from the fender... If your rear tire starts spinning, and you lose traction, you are in a world of trouble! I have nearly fallen many times because the rear tire gets squirrely and you lose momentum going up. If the bike stops pulling up-hill-YOU MUST EJECT! Or face rolling down a concrete embankment with a 300 lb. motorcycle on top of you!

Anyway, recently I hit this water crossing with good speed, down-hill, in 2nd gear. When I hit the water it was like hitting a brick wall! The bike came almost to a complete stop as the front end up to the mid-way point on the tank disappeared into the water! I though holy crap-what do I do now! I down-shifted stood up on the pegs (as the water was pooling between my legs on the seat), and gunned it to get the front end up.. The bike began pulling, but it felt like I was towing a mobile home due to the resistance of the water. I crept across the water all the while trying to keep my balance from the rushing water trying to push me over. I hit the far bank, basically laid down on top of the bars and rolled into the throttle as best I could being at such an odd angle to the bike. I over-estimated the traction, and application of throttle and basically launched over the crest of the other side. The landing was not pretty, but I figured it was better than being stuck in the water at the bottom of the culvert. After all that, I stood the bike up and leaned it against a small tree. I pulled the side cover off and immediately was rewarded with a substantial amount of water from behind the cover. Not knowing what to do next.. I came up with the idea to hold the compression release in and kick it over to see if any water would come out of the exhaust.. I did this until I was about to die from exhaustion (15 kicks???) and no water ever came out. I put the side cover back on, turned the gas back on, and kicked it-she fired right up! I changed the oil when I got home and there was no sign of water in the oil. I cleaned the air filter, and it was evident that some water had gotten onto the element as it was wet on the bottom. These bikes are monsters! I can't believe that many (any?) other bike would have made it through that. I don't fear any water crossing anymore, but I have learned a healthy respect for looking before leaping..

• gabriel

Posted July 27, 2007 - 06:47 AM

Thanks for the info guys and cool story Kawabuggy, I won't by shy of doing water crossings from now on. I didn't want to come out of a river and find my block cracked in half! :banghead:

• martinfan30

Posted July 27, 2007 - 11:16 AM

nice story KB!! love that stuff!:applause:

• azmanxman

Posted July 29, 2007 - 12:49 PM

Don't be afraid, but don't be stupied either. I've done that and payed the price.

Drowned my xr600 in about three feet of water and had a nice eight mile hike back to civilization. Ended-up having to flush the oil five times before it wasn't milky.

If I'd of had my spark plug tool with me I think I could have ridden home. I hear that if you pull the plug you can caugh out the water.

But since I didn't, it was eight miles in MX boots and all that.

Waterever you do, don't hydrolock the engine or you'll be REALLY screwed!

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 30, 2007 - 07:49 AM

Don't be afraid, but don't be stupied either. I've done that and payed the price.

Drowned my xr600 in about three feet of water and had a nice eight mile hike back to civilization. Ended-up having to flush the oil five times before it wasn't milky.

If I'd of had my spark plug tool with me I think I could have ridden home. I hear that if you pull the plug you can caugh out the water.

But since I didn't, it was eight miles in MX boots and all that.

Waterever you do, don't hydrolock the engine or you'll be REALLY screwed!

I rode home 8 miles with so much water in the crankcase, if I revved it to high the water coming out the breather would go in the air intake and drown the engine.

I had the plug wrench, and the allen key to remove the shroud.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ODSC1

Posted August 01, 2007 - 08:16 AM

Here's one of me on my XR650R

http://smg.photobuck...=hastno327b.jpg

Brian

• martinfan30

Posted August 01, 2007 - 10:27 AM

Here's one my XR650R

http://smg.photobuck...=hastno327b.jpg

Brian

holy S***!!:crazy: nice!:worthy:

• ODSC1

Posted August 01, 2007 - 12:43 PM

Here are a couple good videos, not my bike, I'm the photographer;

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uriA4027tY8

http://video.google....035901270799012

http://video.google....833809308303066

http://video.google....095745476145940

http://video.google....514885700146576

The first three show an XR250 and the last two a Husky 450

Brian

• martinfan30

Posted August 01, 2007 - 12:47 PM

nice video clips! sounds like your zoom could use a little wd40!

• ODSC1

Posted August 01, 2007 - 12:51 PM

nice video clips! sounds like your zoom could use a little wd40!

The camera is waterproof Pentax. I figured the zoom noise was just one of the quirks of the camera.

Brian

• XRLMAL

Posted August 02, 2007 - 12:45 PM

Here's one of me in Wales a couple of weeks ago.http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x308/xrlmal/?action=view¤t=IMG_5351.jpg

• XRLMAL

Posted August 02, 2007 - 12:49 PM

Here's one of me in Wales a couple of weeks ago
Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted August 02, 2007 - 01:28 PM

The camera is waterproof Pentax. I figured the zoom noise was just one of the quirks of the camera.

Brian

could be! i just know i dont really hear that on mine.:excuseme:

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted August 02, 2007 - 07:08 PM

Brian

Sounds like digital hash getting into the audio circuitry. If the unit is not that old, you might try another one, and if it is clean audio-wise, swap it out at the store.

Pentax usually makes decent stuff. I can't see them marketing a unit that allows one function to hammer another.

Cool vids, either way. :thumbsup:

• ODSC1

Posted August 03, 2007 - 04:45 AM

Sounds like digital hash getting into the audio circuitry. If the unit is not that old, you might try another one, and if it is clean audio-wise, swap it out at the store.

Pentax usually makes decent stuff. I can't see them marketing a unit that allows one function to hammer another.

Cool vids, either way. :thumbsup:

Sounds like I better check into this. The camera is 8 months old.

Brian

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.