Another which pipe?

10 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 20, 2000 - 09:56 PM

Hey guys, been reading your posts for weeks finally decided to post one myself.

Have read lots of your comments on mufflers but it seems a lot of you are running aftermarket headers as well. Since I can only afford a muffler at this stage (and maybe ever)I was wondering which muffler would be the best to run with the stock head pipe. I have a 99wr (australian model) and after talking to a few people who have tried yz timing and I think I will stick with wr timing as it probably suits my riding area the best.(lots of tight track, hill climbs, rocks, sand and some open stuff).
I know some pipes are better for top end & some for bottom end but I think I really want a pipe that will give power right across the rev range although probably a healthy midrange is often the most usable for riding in the bush as long as it isn't at the expense of top & bottom.

Would appreciate any ideas

Thanks guys

• Grum_from_Oz

Posted June 20, 2000 - 10:54 PM

Hey Doogie,
I have a Tingate racing pipe on my '99 WR4 and it is an awsome pipe for mid to top end. Another member of the forum tested his bike fitted with the same pipe on the dyno and the results showed that it produced an extra 3-4 ponies over stock. One thing though, it is quite loud. The noise is not a problem for me but if you like a quiet bike I would opt for something else. My mates certainly hear me roaring up behind them!
Thats my 2c worth.
Cheers.

• Matt_Porritt

Posted June 20, 2000 - 11:39 PM

Originally posted by Grum from Oz:
Hey Doogie,
Another member of the forum tested his bike fitted with the same pipe on the dyno and the results showed that it produced an extra 3-4 ponies over stock.

Not on DirtBikes Dyno!!! :) :D :D

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

• Malcolm

Posted June 21, 2000 - 02:03 AM

I have a 98 WR & have fitted a WB s bend muffler. Good mid range improvement.Takes a while to get used to the additional noise levels, but after a time it grows on you. It sounds pretty neat now I reckon.I ride a lot in the alpine areas of Victoria & NSW. Plenty of good hill climbs up around there. It seems to good setup for me as I am not after big top end improvement as there is a limit to how fast one can go along firetrails. Regards. Mal- Albury- Australia.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 21, 2000 - 03:15 PM

Thanks guys, sounds like an S bend would suit me best as midrange is probably the most usefull to me. Top end is great when conditions allow for traction but for at least 1/2 of the year (dry season) it just gives you wheel spin.

Grum, do you think you lost much bottom end with your mid to top end pipe?

Are you guys running with yz or wr timing ?

Hey Malcolm, did you have to make jetting changes? One of the local dealers here has a deal for an E series where he will fit it, jet it & change the timing to yz but since I think I want to keep with the wr timing I think I would rather do this myself.

Thanks for the comments.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryan Bosch

Posted June 21, 2000 - 04:36 PM

I've been asking the same questions and it looks like the FMF megamax II is great down low, small gains in mid-range power, and a little less on top. We the top speed of the wr with stock gearing in the high 80's/low 90's, I don't think your compromising much unless you are a desert racer. This pipe is a great combination of power, sound, and tuneability. Good luck!

• Malcolm

Posted June 25, 2000 - 01:06 AM

Hey Doogie, just a bit more about the Wb E series S bend muffler. as I said I fitted one but I also fitted the stainless header to match it. The setup was done by Peter Luczkowski who is the mechanic on the Kenny Roberts Suzuki 500 grand prix team. His home town is just up the road & when hes in town he works on dirt bikes. He found the best setup to suit the WR for exceptional mid range was up the main jet 2 sizes and fit 7 baffle plates to the muffler. Its midrange is awesome.If you want more top end just add plates to the muffler.Regards, Malcolm, Albury, Aussie.

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted June 25, 2000 - 02:04 AM

G'Day from UpOver,
Any of you guys from OZ know anything about the Staintune exhaust setup?

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat, jetting by Clark, fork job by Pro Action.
AMA, NETRA

For clarification: WE'LL be having a KICK ASS time in Moab!! Right Mitchy & Bill?!!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 25, 2000 - 05:55 PM

Originally posted by malcolm:
Hey Doogie, just a bit more about the Wb E series S bend muffler. as I said I fitted one but I also fitted the stainless header to match it. The setup was done by Peter Luczkowski who is the mechanic on the Kenny Roberts Suzuki 500 grand prix team. His home town is just up the road & when hes in town he works on dirt bikes. He found the best setup to suit the WR for exceptional mid range was up the main jet 2 sizes and fit 7 baffle plates to the muffler. Its midrange is awesome.If you want more top end just add plates to the muffler.Regards, Malcolm, Albury, Aussie.

Thanks Malcom, sure sounds like a good setup, I think I'll start saving my pennies for an S bend, can always buy a header pipe later when funds allow..
I take it if you reduce the no. of discs you get more bottom end? Just one more question, are you running the standard wr timing or YZ timing? From what I have read & heard you need different jetting for either setup. Thanks for all your help.

About the staintune, one guy at a shop I talked to reckons they are more of a mid range to top end pipe but I don't know of anyone who has one to ask, sorry.

• RodH

Posted June 25, 2000 - 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Kevin in New Hampshire:
G'Day from UpOver,
Any of you guys from OZ know anything about the Staintune exhaust setup?

The Staintune pipe has to be the best sounding pipe I have heard on a WR. But it is very loud with the baffle out, but put the baffle in and it's a slug, but quite. Worst thing is for most of the races here you would need to run the baffle to keep the noise down, my mate has one and he has been told to keep the baffle in for the enduro's and grass track races.

------------------
RodH Canberra, Australia<A HREF="http://www.400thumpers.oz-au.com" TARGET=_blank>
400 Thumpers Australia</A>
2000 WR400F See Photo's and Modifications

• Malcolm

Posted June 26, 2000 - 02:58 AM

Hey Doogie, the timing on my Wr is standard as I said before Idon't want any more top end so the set up now is great for me. I went out yesterday with an XR 400 & Wr 360 Husky.Let the XR guy have a ride on my Yamaha & temptation got the better of him. he had a drag with the Husky & blew it away.Now he knows why blokes buy Wr400's and & toy around with them in the shed to get that little bit extra. well worth the effort.

Originally posted by Doogie:
Thanks guys, sounds like an S bend would suit me best as midrange is probably the most usefull to me. Top end is great when conditions allow for traction but for at least 1/2 of the year (dry season) it just gives you wheel spin.

Grum, do you think you lost much bottom end with your mid to top end pipe?

Are you guys running with yz or wr timing ?

Hey Malcolm, did you have to make jetting changes? One of the local dealers here has a deal for an E series where he will fit it, jet it & change the timing to yz but since I think I want to keep with the wr timing I think I would rather do this myself.

Thanks for the comments.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.