Steering ?

4 replies to this topic
  • Kenwood

Posted June 25, 2000 - 12:06 PM

Hey Guys,
Took a couple of crashes about three months ago and have been dealing with the left hand high and the right hand low steering geometry since. I finally ordered a new FMF 909 bar and installed it yesterday. And to my amazement the steering is still not straight. I double checked the bar alighnment and it looks centered. Could I have bent the shocks.

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted June 25, 2000 - 01:00 PM

Check your triple clamps. The forks may be twisted due to the triple clamps not being aligned. This was almost always the case for me. If your bar ends are at different heights, I would be at a loss, but they bolt (again) to the (upper) triple clamp. It would be easiest to align them by removing your fork tubes. It is very easy to see when your fork tubes don't line up with the upper triple clamp upon re-installation.

99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat, jetting by Clark, fork job by Pro Action.

For clarification: WE'LL be having a KICK ASS time in Moab!! Right Mitchy & Bill?!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Clark_Mason

Posted June 25, 2000 - 01:36 PM

Put the bike on a stand with it jently resting on the front wheel. Lossen every tripple clam bolt that clamps on both forks. Hold the front wheel between your legs and grap the bars and jurk them left and right while holding the front wheel straight with your knees. Try to get it so it looks straight the then torque the tripple clamp bolts. I recommend 13ftlbs on the lower clamps and 18ftlbs on the top ones. Now losen the front axel pinch bolts on the rt fork tube and jam a screwdriver tip in the pinch area to take the pinch pressure off the axel on the rt side. Take the bike off the stand and holding the front brake on pump the forks up and down as far as possibel. Now remove the screwdriver and retorque the rt side axel pinch bolts evenly.

Ride the bike and see if it is now straight. If not note which side is off and repeat the worked with the fork tubes and tripple clamps above only concentrate on alighing the wheel in the direction you think it was off.

[This message has been edited by Clark Mason (edited 06-25-2000).]

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted June 25, 2000 - 02:51 PM

I absolutely agree w/ Clark. Just loosen the tripple clamp bolts. I was always working on my (Honda) forks and would do the steering and fork clean at the same time. I hope you didn't go to all the trouble!!

• Kenwood

Posted June 25, 2000 - 04:59 PM

Hey Kevin and Clark,
Thanks for your quick response. I'm sitting here at work and now I can't wait till I get home to work on my bike. Guess I better call ahead and warn my significant other, I'll be spending the evening in the garage. Clark, my FMF pipe showed up as well, I'll let you know how your jetting recomendations work out.
Thanks Again.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.