07 WR450 Opinions

63 replies to this topic
  • Sycamore

Posted August 05, 2007 - 07:46 PM

Anybody compare/ride the new WR to Kawi's KLX? I was set to replace my 98 (unkillable tractor!) WR400 with the new 450, but I'm seeing rave reviews on the KLX, only lukewarm on the WR. I've owned 4 Yammy's & hate to think I'd turn green, but...

It's funny the review in Dirtrider put the WR dead last. I read the article over and over and found all the things they said about the WR made my realize that it was just one more reason to buy a WR.:ride: They described it as smooth, vanilla, electric, nothing stood out, etc. I originally wanted an 450X since I had a CR500AF and wanted power on a smaller yet simular scale. But I forgot WHY I was bying a bike of this sort to begin with. I want low maintenance, and SMOOTH electric power. But when I twist it and want power it will be there.

Another one was everyone that had one raved about it's reliability. My bud had a wr400 and he went on one last ride before he was going to rebuild it..it blow up!! BUT, he only adjusted valves once AND he had 30,000 miles on it.:worthy:

I'm just learning about 4 strokes but it's looking like the WR couple modern 4 stroke engineering with XR type of reliability.:applause:

I pick mine up this week..hope I like it:thumbsup:

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 05, 2007 - 11:15 PM

It's funny the review in Dirtrider put the WR dead last. I read the article over and over and found all the things they said about the WR made my realize that it was just one more reason to buy a WR.:ride: They described it as smooth, vanilla, electric, nothing stood out, etc. I originally wanted an 450X since I had a CR500AF and wanted power on a smaller yet simular scale. But I forgot WHY I was bying a bike of this sort to begin with. I want low maintenance, and SMOOTH electric power. But when I twist it and want power it will be there.

Another one was everyone that had one raved about it's reliability. My bud had a wr400 and he went on one last ride before he was going to rebuild it..it blow up!! BUT, he only adjusted valves once AND he had 30,000 miles on it.:worthy:

I'm just learning about 4 strokes but it's looking like the WR couple modern 4 stroke engineering with XR type of reliability.:applause:

I pick mine up this week..hope I like it:thumbsup:

First things first. Dirtrider is notorious for being a KTM and honda love fest. None of the big magazines carry much credibility (with me) because they've become big advertising brochures (that you have to pay for :banghead: ) . IMHO the posters here on thumpertalk are more credible than the goons that write for these mags.

I haven't ridden a 450x, just 450Rs. However, my friend has ridden my free modded bike (shorter throttle stop, gray wire pulled, small black pea shooter drill out of stock baffle...IMHO the way the bike should be delivered) with everything else stock including the jetting vs. a stock 06 450x and he said that the 450x was a dog. Something about the jetting being off on the low end and the bike falling on its face up top whereas my bike would pull hard and cleanly throught the RPM range.

I'm sure the 450x is awesome once its uncorked and jetted correctly (148 main and 42 pj just doesn't cut it on a big bore). But the fact that dirtrider would say that the 450x is better than the WR with the (assuming stock jetting on both bikes) is just silly :rant:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 06, 2007 - 06:39 AM

In stock form, the wr's suck. There's no mystery there.

I've always had the opinion that all of those bikes are good bikes, they are just a bit different in their handling and preferences.

I've ridden the X and there's nothing wrong with it. I've also ridden the KTM and there's nothing wrong with it either. It surprises me how they could say one is better than the other when they should really talk about their "preferences".

Besides, after reading pages and pages of technical comparisons and riding opinions, the final winner was determined by "the plate?".

What the hell was that! I felt like I wasted my time reading that article.

• Sycamore

Posted August 06, 2007 - 12:08 PM

In stock form, the wr's suck. There's no mystery there.

I've always had the opinion that all of those bikes are good bikes, they are just a bit different in their handling and preferences.

I've ridden the X and there's nothing wrong with it. I've also ridden the KTM and there's nothing wrong with it either. It surprises me how they could say one is better than the other when they should really talk about their "preferences".

Besides, after reading pages and pages of technical comparisons and riding opinions, the final winner was determined by "the plate?".

What the hell was that! I felt like I wasted my time reading that article.

Yeah the plate winner sounded kind of silly to me but you have to admit that it is a feature the other bikes didn't have which makes it more valuable especially for someone who really uses "the plate":applause: And they did tell you who really won anyway.:thumbsup:

If you can believe the graphs at the end of the article, I found that useful as well. Yammie seemed smooth and predictable both in power and suspension...Never doing anything greater then the others in any one venue..to me it was a more complete package with very little or no weaknesses other then all the stupid mods you have to do.:banghead:

• Tattooart

Posted August 08, 2007 - 05:46 PM

Having owned both an '05 CRF450X and the '07 WR450, I feel I can offer some opinions. The WR is definitely "smaller." Feels smaller and lighter.
Lower seat heat. A little more cramped than the Honda. I am 6'1"/180 lbs.
The Honda fit me better, w/o an aftermarket seat. That being said, the WR handles the real tight, technical stuff better, IMO. Turns better. Softer suspension. The X shines more once you increase speeds. Better in the open stuff, and on the track for that matter. It jumps better. The '05 X was sprung pretty stiff. (They have since put softer springs on the X.)
They both offer great, usable power. Pros and cons are many.
The X's carb is much easier to access, but the airbox in a bit cramped.
Just the opposite from the WR.
The X's seat is better all around. I put a GUTS tall seat on my WR.
Gas tanks suck on both bikes. I put an IMS 3.2 tank on both.
There are definitley more aftermarket parts available for the Honda.
Finally, valve life. I did not have a good experience with the X's valves,
thus the switch to the WR. I have heard that the WR valves are better/last longer. Too early to tell.

So one question do these bikes push in the turns at all? I am thinking about replacing my x come 2008 and this is a big hurdle I do not want to have a problem with.

• jams229

Posted August 08, 2007 - 06:38 PM

Tatoo, I remember you from the CRF'sOnly forum.
I hope you are well. And I can answer your question.
This WR450 (07) turns better than my "05 CRF450X.
There really are a lot of differences between the two bikes.
Pros and cons alike.
I listed my opinions several months ago, but can't remember the title of the post. If you have other questions, feel free to pm me.
Jim

• Tattooart

Posted August 09, 2007 - 09:02 AM

Tatoo, I remember you from the CRF'sOnly forum.
I hope you are well. And I can answer your question.
This WR450 (07) turns better than my "05 CRF450X.
There really are a lot of differences between the two bikes.
Pros and cons alike.
I listed my opinions several months ago, but can't remember the title of the post. If you have other questions, feel free to pm me.
Jim

Thanks,

I went back and looked at some of your posts and see your opinions in there, you have some damn good posts. Thanks again.

• SurvivorMan

Posted August 10, 2007 - 02:18 PM

The magazines make me laugh sometimes. KTM is always voted on the top spot. i do like the KTM XC but i have owned and raced KTM for longer then 3 months, so i know how much more maintenance they are. KTM does really cool stuff and builds specific bikes which is great, but in the long run, they are very finicky and require lots of maintenance. overheat all the time, hydraulic clutch issues, gas cap, brake pins fall out, kickstarter bolt dissintegrates, lock tite the shifter bolt, brakes are always fading and i hate those plastic screws they use to fasten the shrouds to gas tank...they rip out easy. anyways, every ride i go on with an orange bike, they are either breaking down or overheating. actually, they overheat everytime. i went on a nasty technical ride about 2 weeks ago with 3 pumpkins and a husaberg. by the time i got back to the trucks, the husaberg's coolant was gone and the entire orange team was about half full...my bike never even bubbled once. we are all about the same skill level. it's funny, the mags all complain about the $50 uncorking proceedure with the wr, but KTM owners don't mind spending $200 on a fan kit just to stop their bikes from overheating.

the only issues i have with my 07 wr 450: 1. too low to the ground, it would be nice to have at least another 1" of clearance
2. stock exhaust is way too restrictive, hopefully with the new technology of the YZ, we will see something smaller and more open.
3. the routing of the spedo cable. it sticks out so far. i do like the KTM routing setup.
4. stock seat gets really slippery in about 4 rides.

i love my WR....very reliable.

• Tonson

Posted October 28, 2007 - 10:32 PM

Has anyone got any feed back on worthwhile and tangible benefits of the 2008 WR450F over the 2007 WR450F? It seems like apart from minor cosmetic changes there are no real improvements, unlike the massive step change in improvements from '06 to '07 models.

• erickdj

Posted October 28, 2007 - 10:44 PM

Has anyone got any feed back on worthwhile and tangible benefits of the 2008 WR450F over the 2007 WR450F? It seems like apart from minor cosmetic changes there are no real improvements, unlike the massive step change in improvements from '06 to '07 models.

probably nothing that would justify the premium price for an 08 vs. a left over 07. The 07 was a completely new design, I doubt yamaha made that many changes from 07 to 08. get an 07 and use the extra cash for worthwhile upgrades(jets, needle, exhaust, etc...)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Unibomber

Posted October 29, 2007 - 10:18 AM

Wanna see a pretty in depth, some what non bias shootout ? check this site out, its not new, but on the '06 WR450 and all the other brands. The videos are pretty sweet also.
http://www.biketestu...?ArticleID=3319
:worthy:

• ThompsonV311

Posted October 29, 2007 - 07:30 PM

The forks absolutely suck for desert racing. Going to replace them with some 06-07 YZ forks.

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 29, 2007 - 07:49 PM

-Yamaha re-worked the clutch on the 08 to make it less noisey
-Thicker gas tank plastic keeps gas from permeating through (green sticker BS thing)
-Black clutch, oil filter, and ignition covers (whoopty f'n doo)

Bottom line, get you an 07 and ride the crap out of it.

• Unibomber

Posted October 29, 2007 - 08:12 PM

My thoughts exactly, the '07 is the '08 without the goofy black covers. Ill save 1500 and buy an '07 this winter. After reading about 100 review posts (X vs. WR) , 5 online mag shootouts Im stayin blue with an '07 WR450. Came down to reliability, re-sale, gear ratios, and maintenance. :worthy:
Now lets see if I can wait till after x-mas when the prices of '07s are dirt cheap. Just dont know if i can wait that long.....:worthy:

• dirtrider04

Posted October 29, 2007 - 08:18 PM

you wont have any regrets with the 07

• dirtrider115

Posted October 29, 2007 - 08:34 PM

I prefer instead of messing around with springs just to send both ends to a good shop for revalve, fluid change, springs etc.its really not that much more and they set to your weight and type of riding.I have used ESP in california for years,George is awsome i first used him when he was with scotts a longtime ago.Absolute perfection for a good price.This is my opinion of course and there are tons of shops that do great work,but you wont be disapointed.04 yz 250f,08 wr 250f,05 cr250f,

• ThompsonV311

Posted October 30, 2007 - 04:52 AM

Both front and rear were done by Noleen the day I picked up the new bike. He did an amazing job on my 06 YZ, but these 07 WR forks are killing me. I've had them back over there 5 times. I know he can nail the YZ forks. Plus they are just better racing forks.

• SurvivorMan

Posted October 30, 2007 - 08:15 AM

yeah, front end very soft. but i love this for slower choppy bush riding. as soon as the speeds pick up, the corners get pushed and the forks bottom on any roller/ditch/hill climb. i guess suspension is always a give and take, but i am sure the yz forks would be awesome for higher speed.
bike is still too heavy and needs to be more aggresive...kinda like the new XC's. i wish Yamaha made a little more aggresive model like KTM does, maybe a WR and then a WR-X or something like that. i might end up back on a yz 450 with pro rekluse for next season.

the WR is definately as tough as a 4 stroke is ever gonna get.

• Seabass

Posted October 30, 2007 - 01:12 PM

Anybody know how the new WR's work as a hardcore race bike?? I'm on an '05 WR and now that my speeds are picking up, I find the '05 to be somewhat of a beast. For a trail bike/occasional racer the WR can't be beat, especially when considering the limited maintenance that needs to be done. But I had a chance to ride an '07 Honda 450X set up to race desert and was really impressed. It felt a hundred pounds lighter and felt much more racey than my WR. Hondas reliability issues scare me...everyone I know that owns one ends up having pretty big probs with the bike, at least compared with the probs I've had with my WR(virtually none). I lined up behind Russ Pearson at a Hare And Hound last weekend. I heard he was racing the WR, but in fact he was on a new YZ. He told us the WR was a little heavy for the conditions in the So Cal desert....and a National race at that. This is just the thing I want to get away from with the WR...but I'm no Russ Pearson!!

• ThompsonV311

Posted October 30, 2007 - 02:19 PM

Seabass, If I get a chance at RHR I can stop by Desert MC camp and you can take mine for a spin. As far as a race bike I love it except the forks. Feels lighter/ more flickable even than my old 04 YZ450. Once i get the YZ ones it should be dialed. Sure was nice to have the happy button out at The UMC Silver Dollar Scramble. The wide gearbox was great at the National last weekend. Justin Thompson V279

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.