Revisited: Best Tires for a "L"

38 replies to this topic
  • jonr3

Posted July 26, 2007 - 10:06 AM

I have searched every forum I could find (and there are a lot of them), for tire recommendations since my stock TrailWings started looking pretty bad after 3K miles. A lot of the responses were from people who were "getting ready" to try a certain tire or were "going to try" a certain tire combination. A lot of the responses, understandably, had to do with how they were going to be used. I tried to get a concensus on the different tires, but it always seemed that there were just as many people saying they were great :thumbsup: as there were saying that they sucked.:thumbsdn:

I posted a thread asking for hand grip recommendations and the response was great! :applause: (ProGrips won by the way - they should arrive this week) So, I thought I might try it with tires...

I do ride a lot of street miles, but I also do a bunch of mud, hard-pack, trails, etc. The tires I've seen that are more designed for the road, don't have an agressive enough tread (IMO) for good off-road use. I wouldn't mind running knobbies (DOT or non-DOT) if I could get some decent mileage out of 'em.:banghead:

So, what I'm asking for is ANY comments on ANY tire that you have used - good, bad, or otherwise. I've been looking at D606's, Kenda K270's, TKC80's, etc. I've read a few good things about Mefo tires :excuseme: but it looks like they are only available from one source and expensive.

Any comments, suggestions, complaints, recommendations, where to buy, etc. will be helpful. Thanks!

• Huffa 2

Posted July 26, 2007 - 10:57 AM

I just orderd the Mefo's, if you take in consideration that you should get almost double the mileage, they are not expensive at all.

• GIANTac1

Posted July 26, 2007 - 07:05 PM

Im on my second d606 and cant complain. Of course it depends on what kind of riding you will be doing.

• Denn10

Posted July 26, 2007 - 07:20 PM

I have Dunlop 606, they were on when i got the bike and i have 1000 miles all street so far and they got at leasy 500 more so im figuing there good for 2k or more depending on how and where (city/hwy) you ride. There prolly the top rated knobbie on here for best all around tire.

• exaresix

Posted July 26, 2007 - 08:15 PM

Maxxis 6006 look good and work well on the street.

• jonr3

Posted July 27, 2007 - 04:13 AM

I just orderd the Mefo's, if you take in consideration that you should get almost double the mileage, they are not expensive at all.

Let me know when you get your Mefo's will ya and what you think of 'em? I forgot, which ones did you order?

• Huffa 2

Posted July 27, 2007 - 05:57 AM

The explorers jon.

I really can't see how I won't like them after reading so much postive comments about them .

Not sure if you saw this post or not?

Comments (in links) on 1st post and scroll down a ways (#9 post I think) for more comments which also includes feedback on all kinds of tires. :thumbsup:

http://www.thumperta...&highlight=mefo

Will leave you know for sure though of my findings. Seems I'm about the only one that will be running them on here?

Heck, I cruise sometimes 3-500 miles in a weekend, so most other tires would be gone in no time!

• Motosprtman

Posted July 27, 2007 - 06:08 AM

Dunlop 606 is a great tire but sing like a logging truck and they pass on some vibration to the rider. The stock Trailwings are the best street tire (to me) but are really bad off road. The Dunlops also wear pretty well, but again vibes and sing.

• clfarren5944

Posted July 27, 2007 - 10:22 AM

Presently running a set of Mefos. Great on pavement, hardpack, and loose gravel. Somewhat squirlly on deep gravel. Won't be much good in mud? Haven't been cut in sharp rocks. Used with rim locks so I can drop pressure for off road. Much better all around for me than D 606 or T-wings. Mileage should be much better also.
Chris

• martinfan30

Posted July 27, 2007 - 10:50 AM

pretty happy with mt21 tires. not so good if you do alot of onroad.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Huffa 2

Posted July 27, 2007 - 11:54 AM

Presently running a set of Mefos. Great on pavement, hardpack, and loose gravel. Somewhat squirlly on deep gravel. Won't be much good in mud? Haven't been cut in sharp rocks. Used with rim locks so I can drop pressure for off road. Much better all around for me than D 606 or T-wings. Mileage should be much better also.
Chris

A newbie with top notch tires, way to go clfarren :thumbsup:

It would be great to see your bike with them on, possible?

I heard they do pretty decent in mud, for what they are.

What pressure do you use for the road, I think I heard at least 25lbs ?

If you don't know how to post pictures, let me know, you can send them to me and I'll put them on. I'll PM you my emil address if so. I'm really anxious to see them on a 650.

• NY_SXR700

Posted July 27, 2007 - 12:22 PM

What model did you order? I see they are about 90 - 100 $US each but I like the looks of them. I have an 86' XL600R with MT21's that are 10 years old on it and used to be studded for ice. The MFE 99 loks like a great on road tire. Doug

• Huffa 2

Posted July 27, 2007 - 12:35 PM

What model did you order? I see they are about 90 - 100 $US each but I like the looks of them. I have an 86' XL600R with MT21's that are 10 years old on it and used to be studded for ice. The MFE 99 loks like a great on road tire. Doug

The Explorers.

I think they will make a fantastic tire on the road too. Ther are not easy to get, so if you want some, better inquire if they have them in stock.

I got them from here, should be here very soon.

http://www.klr650.co...Sport Tires.htm

Very meaty yet not too aggressive for the road. They did a good dirt/street balancing act when designing them I think.

Posted Image

• dlls_koe

Posted July 27, 2007 - 09:07 PM

I have d606's and i love them for on and off road

• goblin127

Posted July 28, 2007 - 08:48 AM

Tried the metzler saharas and liked them but now im running the Conti TKC80's and love em.

• OnOff

Posted July 28, 2007 - 10:32 AM

I have been running Mefo Explorers on my XR650l and really like them. I put a lot of miles on the highway at 0-80mph and in all temps. Try and get on dirt and mud any and every chance I can. Now have 3900 miles on my Mefos and still have life left. I am tough on tires and find these are a great 50:50 tire. No, not the BEST at either but pretty darned good at each. Very stable and confidence inspiring on the road and quiet and smooth even at high speed. Got mine at KLR650.com and they can be tough to find in stock. Order before you need them. Great on hardpack and rocks and pretty decent in the mud. You need to keep your rear wheel revs up in the mud to keep them clear :ride:
They do have a tendency to slide in deep gravel or sloppy wet mud. Not bad in grass. I liked mine enough that I got another set before these were even toast! Go Mefo and don't look back.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
When they get mudded up like this, keep your revs up to clear the tread!
Posted Image
Click movie link of clearing mudded tread
http://photos.imagee...cs/PeteonXR.wmv

• Huffa 2

Posted July 28, 2007 - 02:20 PM

I have been running Mefo Explorers on my XR650l and really like them. I put a lot of miles on the highway at 0-80mph and in all temps. Try and get on dirt and mud any and every chance I can. Now have 3900 miles on my Mefos and still have life left. I am tough on tires and find these are a great 50:50 tire. No, not the BEST at either but pretty darned good at each. Very stable and confidence inspiring on the road and quiet and smooth even at high speed. Got mine at KLR650.com and they can be tough to find in stock. Order before you need them. Great on hardpack and rocks and pretty decent in the mud. You need to keep your rear wheel revs up in the mud to keep them clear :ride:
They do have a tendency to slide in deep gravel or sloppy wet mud. Not bad in grass. I liked mine enough that I got another set before these were even toast! Go Mefo and don't look back.

When they get mudded up like this, keep your revs up to clear the tread!
Posted Image
Click movie link of clearing mudded tread
http://photos.imagee...cs/PeteonXR.wmv

:thumbsup: Great mefo report, Thank You! Great pic's too :thumbsup:

So those pic's are the 3,900 mile ones? If so you should get 7000 easy ?

:busted: Like your fancy heat sheild.

• Sipes77

Posted July 28, 2007 - 09:26 PM

On Off,
I'll agree with Huffa 2, great report and pics!
Those look like they would be great 50/50 tires, and great mileage too!
I am going to consider the Mefo Explorers for my style of riding.

• goblin127

Posted July 29, 2007 - 05:38 AM

Where do these Mefos come from?

• OnOff

Posted July 29, 2007 - 07:43 AM

Mefos are produced in Germany...
http://www.mefotyres.com/mtire_uk.htm
They do seem to have incredible tread life while still maintaining good grip both on and off road.
Click link below to see how nicely they do on the road :applause: One of my favorite set of twisties but unfortunately there was a boat anchor in the way. I was a gentleman and kept a comfortable distance, but the XR was angry about it :rant: Somewhere a Hardley guy is tellin stories of smokin a metric in the twisties :applause:
This is about a 5 meg clip and sorry to the slow dial ups.
http://photos.imagee...ndownXR650L.wmv
Couple pretty shots with MEFOS...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Hey, who keeps complaining XRs are too tall? I flat foot mine no problem and would like it higher :ride: Are there any raising links?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.