HID Lighting on a 426

5 replies to this topic
  • Terrain Rider 4z

Posted July 26, 2007 - 09:58 AM

Some questions for those of you who have gone to HID lighting on a WR400-426. I have a 2000 WR400F stator (130W), flywheel, CDI, and wiring harness to go with an 8" Trail Tech HID.

So some questions for you:

1. Any problems running the HID with the stator?

2. How tough is it to float the ground? Looks pretty straight forward, but are there things to look out for?

3. What battery did you use? Where did you get it? Where did you mount it?

4. Most batteries have one set of leads, do you splice the charge wires and draw wires into the same connectors?

Gotta get this bisnitch rolling so I can start testing. We put a club team together and now am in a pinch to get everyone lit up.

thanks

Ryan

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted July 26, 2007 - 05:50 PM

Anyone?

• Solo

Posted July 26, 2007 - 05:56 PM

My understanding is that the floating ground isn't too hard. You need to isolate the regulator from ground too. No ideas for a battery but I'd try BatteriesPlus. Keep in mine that the output for that stator is not at idle. If you idle around for a while you might find the battery dead.

I was hoping someone else would chime in too. Since I'm interested in the same idea.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted July 26, 2007 - 06:54 PM

If you float the magneto you do not need to isolate the regulator from ground. The - lead on the regulator and the battery both can be tied to the frame. As for batteries you can go with either a small sealed lead acid or a NiMH AA pack. Either of which can be mounted to the airbox lid.

Trailtech sells both batteries.

www.trailtech.net

• crazyal426

Posted July 26, 2007 - 07:20 PM

Wow buddy, those are some Q's. From my understanding, HID needs a capacitor or a battery. A battery is best. Bad part about a capacitor is that your lights will die when you idle down. Call Trail Tech or Baja designs. Those guys know their stuff. Baja designs has some good info on what will work with what on their site. I am going to do something similar to my 2000 426 but I am going to use a 200w mag from e-line. I have the 450 conversion on my bike and I was going to but a WR air box on it 'cause it has a spot for a battery. Good luck sorry couldn't be more help.

Some questions for those of you who have gone to HID lighting on a WR400-426. I have a 2000 WR400F stator (130W), flywheel, CDI, and wiring harness to go with an 8" Trail Tech HID.

2. How tough is it to float the ground? Looks pretty straight forward, but are there things to look out for?

4. Most batteries have one set of leads, do you splice the charge wires and draw wires into the same connectors?

Gotta get this bisnitch rolling so I can start testing. We put a club team together and now am in a pinch to get everyone lit up.

thanks

Ryan

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted August 21, 2007 - 07:11 AM

thanks

Ryan

I completed the install and am answering the above questions for those interested.

If you idle for long periods of time, then the light will start to flicker. I am not sure if this is due to heat or low power.

Floating the ground itself is not hard, make sure you shrink wrap the connection to avoid metal to metal contact with other stator parts. The tough part is getting the wire through the rubber grommet. We drilled the grommet, then filled mistakes with RTV.

I purchased the 12V 1100 mAh from batteryspace.com which consists of NiCad AA batts shrink wrapped together. The batt pack comes with 20 gauge leads, which worries me. I would request 18 gauge leads if I were to do it again to match the rest of the system.

I used the TrailTech regulator/rectifier. With the small battery you connect the blue reg/rect wire to the black batt wire; connect the red reg/rect wire to the battery and all red power (light/acc) wires, and connect the black reg/rect wire to all black light/acc wires. There is an included wiring diagram with the TT reg/rect. The blue wire going to the battery black serves to limit charging to avoid a fried battery.

Overall this is a somewhat involved process. I was changing a YZ over to a WR stator, so had to change all electrics to work. We took almost 9 hours including a couple trips to the store and lunch. This is an all day affair and requires two sets of hands.

Everything works great so far :busted:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.