Kevin, Bryan or Dougie--cam chain?

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 23, 2000 - 05:17 PM

I can't get the cams back in because the chain is too tight to fit over both at the same time. I have the tensioner removed but just can't make the thing work!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 23, 2000 - 05:36 PM

Can anyone help me? anyone?

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted June 23, 2000 - 05:42 PM

Chris,
Did you pull out the forward chain guide/pad? I had and created a loop in the chain underneath the lower drive sprocket on the engine.
I had to remove the forward chainguide/pad. Hold the forward cam chain taut, and rotate the crankshaft clockwise. This will pull the loop out. Holding the chain taut again, re-insert the foward guide/pad.
The forward and after chainguide/pads (or what ever you call them)have very little clearance for the chain to ride through. It is physically impossible for the chain to fall to the bottom of your engine with the guidesin place.

I am off to bed right now. I'll check in in the morning. If you are still having trouble, e-mail your address or phone number. We'll get you squared away.

mxvet@ttlc.net

Kevin

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat, jetting by Clark, fork job by Pro Action.
AMA, NETRA

For clarification: WE'LL be having a KICK ASS time in Moab!! Right Mitchy & Bill?!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 23, 2000 - 05:49 PM

Thanks Kevin, as usual, you're the man. I'll give it a shot. Look forward to riding with you in Moab later this year!

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted June 24, 2000 - 02:57 AM

Hope this works out for you Chris. I spent several days trying to figure this one out. I thought if there was a loop under my sprocket, rotating the crank would fix it. It wouldn't. There is not enough clearance. That is why pulling that forward guide is required. I had to do exactly what I instructed to fix my problem.

I cannot wait for Moab. This will be my highlight in oh, say the last 5 years at least. It would be more like 7 years, since I quit racing mx in '93.

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 06-24-2000).]

• Dougie

Posted June 25, 2000 - 04:30 AM

Sorry Chris, I just got back from vacation (a full week at Myrtle Beach right on the beach. Didn't even think of my bike the entire time, which mean I had a great time).

I had the same problem. I just kept moving and shoving and pushing the cams (very gingerly) until they eventually plopped in. I set up the intake cam first and zip tied the chain to it. Then I worked with the exhaust cam until it finally plopped in. It was not easy. Sorry I don't have more for you.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.