Air Filter cleaning and oiling

1 reply to this topic
  • JackRabbit

Posted June 23, 2000 - 12:06 AM

Used paint thinner to clean my foam filter and then used 2 stroke mixing oil (the manual says engine mixing oil, is this what they mean?) to wet it. I also applied some standard white grease to the mating surfaces before installing. This was my first cleaning and I need to know if doing it this way is going to do any damage.
(brand new 2000 model)

Also, anyone out there who has not installed proper rad gaurds, I would really recommend it! Second ride with my new bike and I managed to bend and crack the outlet valve on the main rad. Luckily it was repairable as a new one apparently costs $500 canadian. Got rad gaurds on order ($130), and I'm sure they'll be a good investment.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted June 25, 2000 - 01:08 PM

Use air filter oil. It is totally unlike engine oil. Air filter oil is very sticky, and should stay on your filter MUCH better. I would also use kerosene or diesel fuel to clean the filter. After using the diesel fuel, I normally wash my filter with either Simple Green, Wesleys Clear Magic or dish soap. I pat the filter to remove the excess water and let it sit for a day, preferably somewhere that sees air movement. When I was a kid, I would toss the air filter into our basketball hoop and let the wind do it's work.
Although debatable, I do put a layer of grease on the seating surface of the filter.

99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat, jetting by Clark, fork job by Pro Action.

For clarification: WE'LL be having a KICK ASS time in Moab!! Right Mitchy & Bill?!!

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 06-25-2000).]

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.