yz exhaust on wr 400

7 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 18, 2000 - 10:13 AM

Has anyone tried a stock yz exhaust on their wr 400 and how does it work compared to any aftermarket exhaust. :)

henric s
sweden europe mod -00 wr400

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted June 19, 2000 - 08:27 AM

I was told the YZ exhaust WILL NOT FIT.

99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat, jetting by Clark.

Moab bound for 2000, HOORAY!! Gonna be kicking some Moab Ass (Mule or Donkey?)!

• MotoGreg

Posted June 19, 2000 - 03:56 PM

I tried one and didn't like it, all top end power, killed the bottom end hit.

'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• Heywood

Posted June 19, 2000 - 04:08 PM

I have a DMC Head Pipe and a stock YZ silencer on my WR. I think it works great, but it is really loud.

My bike is dual sproted, so I ground off the little plate on the silencer that says it is a federal offense to use the pipe on the street. :)

[This message has been edited by Heywood (edited 06-19-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGreg

Posted June 19, 2000 - 04:49 PM

Ya, the DMC headpipe is small so it helps low end a lot. With the stock yz headpipe you don't get that low end.

'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• WR_Rider

Posted June 19, 2000 - 04:54 PM

I've got a YZ head pipe, (believe it's the same as the WR) & YZ muffler on my 99 WR. i actually believe it helped over the entire range especially up top. the only change i made after the pipe install was upped the main 1 higher to 180. I've tried the E-series and still believe the OEM muffler is better than even that.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 20, 2000 - 09:08 PM

I too went from the std muffler on my 99WR(which is very quite but really heavy and damm ugly) to a std YZ muffler which is a lot prettier and lighter but a lot noisier.
Ifound the power slighty increased over the entire rev range and defintly felt crisper.

99wr 172 main, 45 pilot snorkel on air box lid removed ,soon to be fitted oem YZ400 tank and seat and 14/52 gearing

• mcarp

Posted June 25, 2000 - 11:39 AM

I have a 99 yz silencer on my '00 WR. Stock WR header. Everything fit fine, just need a longer rear bolt and washer. The power seems slightly increased over the whole range, however I have rode it once on an MX track, so I wasn't using low end chug power much, but did note the midrange had more kick. It seemed to rev a little quicker as well, but again one ride may not have been enough to make a good comparison. It isn't that much louder than the stock wr pipe with baffle removed, but it does sound different. Will be riding next week in the woods-that will be the test that is important to me-I'll report back when I have more seat time.

I will pay attention to the low end response, do some plug checks, and post my findings in a week or two.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.