I think my clutch is done!!!

11 replies to this topic
  • PatrickM

Posted July 25, 2007 - 11:36 PM

I was working on my 99 YZ400F and I was going to start the bike and run the engine so i could get the oil warm and change it. I wass have my normal issues starting the bike and i kicked the bike into first gear by accident so I grabbed the clutch and figure i would continue to start my bike with my hand on the clutch and to my amazment... the bike jumped forward like it was still in gear!!! I tried again and the bike did the same thing.

I did some more checking and found that my clutch cable was ok. I checked all the adjustments and everything looked good.

I did some searches on TT and came to the conclusion that I have too much clutch drag and therefore I need to have my clutch replaced.

Now my question is.... what parts in the clutch should i be replacing and would it be better to go with an aftermarket clutch kit or to replace my clutch with OEM parts from Yamaha?

My last question is....is replacing the clutch a hard thing to do? was level of mechanic skil do you need to replace a clutch???

Thanks for all of you TT's help!!!!!

• FLjoyride

Posted July 26, 2007 - 03:50 AM

Don't worry about it unless it does it while the engine is running.

• jbrooks26

Posted July 26, 2007 - 04:10 AM

Another thing to consider is that if an engine sits for a length of time without being started the clutch plates may stick together. Once you get it started let it run in neutral for a few minutes to coat the clutch plates and then check it again. If they are still stuck then ride it around with the clutch pulled in and wait for it to let go. Generally I wouldn't recommend changing a clutch until it doesn't drag any more. You will notice that any clutch will make it harder to kick a bike over, as compared to kicking it in neutral. This is partly due to the clutch turning in the oil, but sometimes there will be a slight drag when kicking. As stated above, if it doesn't take off when it is running then I wouldn't worry about it. Hope this helps.

Josh

• yzf450jack

Posted July 26, 2007 - 04:25 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]You can put a 450 basket and hub n it there way lighter it about 2 lbs lighter :applause: will fit same plates but the 4ftity has 9 plates or you can file the notches out :crazy: [/COLOR]

• blue9red9

Posted July 27, 2007 - 01:36 PM

I don't think I could get my bike started cold in 1st gear with the clutch pulled in. Warm, possibly but even then it would be harder than neutral. Don't worry about this problem unless like FLjoyride said, it's happening while it's running. If you pull in the clutch running, pop it in 1st and it creeps or even takes off, then worry.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 27, 2007 - 07:34 PM

I don't think I could get my bike started cold in 1st gear with the clutch pulled in. Warm, possibly but even then it would be harder than neutral. Don't worry about this problem unless like FLjoyride said, it's happening while it's running. If you pull in the clutch running, pop it in 1st and it creeps or even takes off, then worry.

What about when you pull the clutch in running,pop it in first or even pull it up to second and pretend you are on the line or starting gate at a mx race and when you rev the bike up(like when getting ready to leave the gate) the bike has a tendency to want to lurk forward or creep forward.......Is this all right?.........Now remember it doesnt do it just when you pull in the clutch to pull it up to second,It just does it when you have the clutch pulled in with it in gear and the motor reved or reving......Thats how my 06 450 does.....what do you think the problem is?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ben_suhard

Posted July 27, 2007 - 07:51 PM

What about when you pull the clutch in running,pop it in first or even pull it up to second and pretend you are on the line or starting gate at a mx race and when you rev the bike up(like when getting ready to leave the gate) the bike has a tendency to want to lurk forward or creep forward.......Is this all right?.........Now remember it doesnt do it just when you pull in the clutch to pull it up to second,It just does it when you have the clutch pulled in with it in gear and the motor reved or reving......Thats how my 06 450 does.....what do you think the problem is?

Is your clutch cable adjusted properly? There should only be about 10mm of movement at the end of the lever before it starts to pull hard on the cable.

• blue9red9

Posted July 28, 2007 - 05:08 AM

If you pull in the clutch and put it in second and rev it, mine will also want to rock forward. You're asking the clutch to do some maximum slippage there. The plates and the oil do have some friction with each other and reving it quickly in second will produce some movement. However, now add some grooves on the basket or the hub and maybe all the plates don't come apart the same little distance. The action will be amplified. On mine with a known worn basket and hub, sometimes it's difficult for me to get it into neutral when I stop due to all the drag. I'm living with it for now cause it's not noticable on the track while I'm riding. The fix for me will be a new basket and hub. I already mostly filed the grooves out of the old stuff which helped a lot but I'm at the limit.

• PatrickM

Posted July 28, 2007 - 09:30 AM

i finally had time to chec out the bike and it creeps forward in 1st gear and when i use the front brake to stop the creep...the bike stalls!!!!!

I had my mechanic at 650 racing was able to change the clutch....

I checked out my old clutch plates... the inner plates were totally burned up.

thanks for all the help TTers!!!!!!

the clutch was $200 installed..... now i can go on my riding trip on sunday and monday!!!!!

Patrick M.

• blue9red9

Posted July 28, 2007 - 09:35 AM

Were there grooves or notches on the basket and hub? My bike had a new set of plates in it when I bought it but it still slipped. The grooves in the basket and on the hub would not let the plates move around as they should. Keep an eye on it and in the back of your mind, expect the unexpected as the new plates try to match up with the old basket and hub.

• crfking91

Posted August 13, 2007 - 12:03 PM

"If you pull in the clutch running, pop it in 1st and it creeps or even takes off, then worry". Hey that is what happens to my CRF250x. What do you think the problem is?
Thanks

• Dr.Wilson 154 ( . Y . )

Posted August 13, 2007 - 12:37 PM

usually you have to wait till your bike is pretty warm before you can kick it over in gear without it lurching forward

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.