starting the transformation

39 replies to this topic
  • NavyNuke

Posted July 25, 2007 - 09:15 PM

Well I'm gonna sell my WR450 this winter, do a few things to the XR to run the fast races when I need it, and otherwise be my enduro.

so this week,
New tires
Full WB pipe system from ebay
pull BD kit, wire the regulator rectifier up for LED taillight/HID headlight kit
rig up HID headlight from Toyota Scion
Rebuild Carb, new needle/seat ect.(old one was leaking now and then)

as soon as I sell my WR, get a 3.something gallon tank, cam, and send my suspenders off to precision dynamics, better hand guards ect.

anyone got any ideas on what else I should do? hoping to go from this
Posted Image

to something more like
Posted Image

• DUDEBRO7

Posted July 26, 2007 - 10:14 AM

Skidplate, under-bar mounted stabilizer, hardwired GPS .. a case of SC1 silicone spray (at least one full can for every wash) and and a few thousand $$$ and youre on your way!

Check this out:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=468967

• NavyNuke

Posted July 26, 2007 - 03:43 PM

yeah well my budget is more limited, so no new plastics, and its an offroad bike anyway, so no need to make it that shiney. I figure 1,000 bucks or so should buy me most of the parts I need. then It'll be race ready. and approach my WR for fun going fast offroad.

• rdahl

Posted July 27, 2007 - 06:57 AM

If you are looking for more power than do the stage 1 Hot Cam with 70 Pilot and 180 main. 14-48 gearing is good for most local races upto 85mph and doesnt kill the power in the tight stuff. I cut my front fender, painted it with plastic rustoleum flat black, bought the precision concepts carbon fork guards, SDG Seat, RGK Gold Chain, Tag Rear Sprocket, powder coated by baja designs skid plate black, oversized front rotor, 4.2 Clark Natural tank, Cycra hand guards, 2006 XR shroud/tank graphics, and spent alot of time minimalizing everything like blinkers, plate, wires. Zip tied spokes and safety wired all key bolts. Gonna be a bit of a stretch for 1000 bucks but you'll get close. Good Luck!

• NavyNuke

Posted July 27, 2007 - 07:00 AM

figure all I still need is the tank/cam/shrouds/rad. braces, and suspension work. and I'm not opposed to ebay for most of the stuff. save some money that way.

• rockn6gs

Posted July 27, 2007 - 07:58 PM

Hi NN
Might give the forks and shock a shot yourself..I did mine (revalve and sprung) 1st time with the help of Bruce Borynack's site http://xr650r.borynack.com/ very help full...I made the tools and bought a few..Any of which you can borrow..

• NavyNuke

Posted July 27, 2007 - 08:18 PM

i could yeah, may give that a try since I already have the fatboy spring in there. not sure yet, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. also think my rear shock is blown, so may send it off.

• pburke

Posted July 28, 2007 - 03:06 PM

hoping to go from this

to something more like ...[/IMG]

well, wash it, armor all the tires, paint front fender black and you're 90% there. Ride it and you'll figure out what you need the most.

In my case, the suspension work was key, so I spent the $$$ on a Barnum job and the Scotts stabilizer, tall bars, and tha was about it.

Tell me more about those Toyota/Scion HID lights - any particular part that works well?

• NavyNuke

Posted July 31, 2007 - 09:43 PM

Havn't set them up yet. the part that works well was the free part. one of the two ballasts failed, and they are replaced as a pair. so Igot one good one out of it(thanks to my stepdad).

shock is being rebuilt by a local guy I deal with a lot who is learning the whole suspension art. so there will be a few trys, but it will cost much less.

just ordered shrouds/unabiker braces. so far
300 for a pipe
165 for braces/shroudes.

and extra teardown pic.
Posted Image

• JackAttack

Posted August 01, 2007 - 08:59 AM

figure all I still need is the tank/cam/shrouds/rad. braces, and suspension work. and I'm not opposed to ebay for most of the stuff. save some money that way.

Looks like everything your looking for can be obtained from this
dude in Flagstaff bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NavyNuke

Posted August 01, 2007 - 09:31 AM

PM'd the guy about buying some of the parts. We'll see, thanks for the find, almost never look at that site anymore.

most of those parts are from the 650, except for a pile of bolts/nuts that are leftovers that havn't been sorted by size sitting under the grinder.

magnet dish full of 650 bolts, carb, headlight/ HID bits that I'm fitting to the Baja designs brace ect.

• JackAttack

Posted August 01, 2007 - 12:06 PM

headlight/ HID bits that I'm fitting to the Baja designs brace ect.

I'm very happy with the Trail Tech 8" light.

I have the HID, but you probably need a halogen for dual-sport riding.

• NavyNuke

Posted August 01, 2007 - 02:28 PM

why do you say that I'll probably need the halogen?

• JackAttack

Posted August 01, 2007 - 02:44 PM

why do you say that I'll probably need the halogen?

HID is WAAAAAY to bright to use on the street. Totally blind anyone coming the other way.

The unit itself is super sano and super light. Our bike went down many, many ,many times last year in the 1000 without any lighting issues.

• NavyNuke

Posted August 01, 2007 - 03:26 PM

we shall see. for free, can't hurt to play with. putting in a switch to turn the light on/off when I want anyway.

• NavyNuke

Posted August 03, 2007 - 05:40 PM

it was like Xmas today when I got up this afternoon.

sitting at the front door was a pipe, and carb parts for the XR. wohooo, and my suspension is all in the shop getting revalved and such. local shop I deal with is trying to get started on race tuning, so I'm his guinnie pig.

also bolted the HID stuff to the baja designs tub. just need to rebuild some stuff to fire bike up and test stator to see if its strong enough to run the HID

• martinfan30

Posted August 03, 2007 - 06:44 PM

man i love seeing those boxes on the front step when i get home! better than xmas!:thumbsup: :applause:

• NavyNuke

Posted August 03, 2007 - 07:20 PM

yeah, and because I sleep during the day(work 6pm to 6am) its even more like xmas. get up and walk out to check.

and a suprise, because I know a package is coming, so for a few days its always excitment, then awwww darn, nothing today.:cry:

till it shows up, and gotta :applause:

• martinfan30

Posted August 03, 2007 - 08:37 PM

i may have to get my hours changed! id love to wake up to a box on the step!:applause:

• NavyNuke

Posted August 04, 2007 - 08:28 PM

woke up to more goodies again today.

set of new radiator shrouds from TT store. now I jsut need the radiator braces.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.