Cryogenics!

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 22, 2000 - 08:53 AM

No Im not talking about that Shirly McClain hookey poo crap about coming back after your dead. Im talking about deep freezing bike (or anything metal) parts so they last longer.
So far all I have done is my sprockets and it seems to me fairly successful. The Sunstar sprocket that I am running now has lasted 30-40% longer than my last set. So far I am very happy with the results.
Does anyone else do this? I havent seen any posts concering this matter. I just wondered what eveyone else thinks of this process.

------------------
Darin from Missouri 1999 WR400F

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted June 22, 2000 - 09:31 PM

I read about this, it sounds weird but freezing metal is supposed to tighten up the molecular structure for longer wear, the article I read was in a hot rod mag and it sounds like many other racing industries use this, dragsters etc, as well as special tools and what not. When you say the sprocket is lasting longer, can you give me a time frame, like months or years, and how much do you ride. I'd be interested to find out more.Thanks

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 22, 2000 - 12:16 PM

I put the rear sprocket on about December of 99, and as of now it just has the very slightest of a "claw" look to the teeth.
I ride very frequently. Probably about every other week at least (minimum).
I also froze the countershaft as well and it was looking a little more grooved. I just replaced it today with another cryo'ed sprocket.
Personally, I think the process is definatly worth it. It only cost me $5-10 for the sprockets. You cannot do the O-ring chains though because he told me it will dry out the rubber o-ring and crack it.
I know for a fact though that the aluminum sprockets will out last my D.I.D. gold x-ring chain.
If you can find a place to do it in your area oatmeal, I would definatly suggest trying it out.

------------------

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt_Porritt

Posted June 22, 2000 - 09:02 PM

We use liquid nitrogen on the ship for freezing valve seats to make them easier to insert and also for guides rod bushes.

I have the stock Sunstar sprocket on my YZ4 and a O-ring chain I put on thebike when i brought it in July 99.
Sprockewt is mint abd cahin is now wrecket due to being waterblasted and forgetting to lube afterwards.
I've found that waterblasting the clain and a lube afterwards has extended the lif of my chain and sprocket.
My theory is that new chainlube attracts dirt etc while lube thats a week old (or even overnight) seem to attract less dirt etc and last longer.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

• MotoGreg

Posted June 22, 2000 - 09:21 PM

Motorcycle roadrace teams use Cryo for a lot of stuff like engine and trans parts, brake discs, ect... The part that they have found to benefit a lot is that ignition coils make a hotter spark after they've been cryo'd. Don't ask me why or how it works, that's just what the cryo guy tells me, he said all the teams send in boxes of coils to be done.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 23, 2000 - 08:15 AM

The guy that does my stuff also does stuff for Jack Nickalus the pro golfer. His clubs are supposed to hit the ball harder (or something like that)

------------------

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.