Jet Hot header coating, what color would you pick for my bike?

22 replies to this topic
  • Huffa 2

Posted July 25, 2007 - 04:03 PM

They have a lot of great colors and I favor the Extreme Sterling but was wondering if the blue might really set my bike off or look a bit guady ?

Look in my garage for larger bike pic.

http://www.jet-hot.c...s/coatings.html

Posted Image

Posted Image

What's your favorite, for my bike?

• Denn10

Posted July 25, 2007 - 04:34 PM

id go with the silver color like that alot, we had them do a set of exhaust once for a UAV rotax motor and it looked sharp.

• Huffa 2

Posted July 25, 2007 - 04:37 PM

id go with the silver color like that alot, we had them do a set of exhaust once for a UAV rotax motor and it looked sharp.

Pretty sure I will.

That copperhead color would look the nuts on a black bike! :crazy:

Who ever had theirs coated, how much was it ?

• wheelnut46

Posted July 25, 2007 - 04:42 PM

Since they don't have red, I like the copper.

• butcharin

Posted July 25, 2007 - 05:15 PM

I think the sterling would look really sweet. :applause:

Hope you have better luck this time. :thumbsup:

• Huffa 2

Posted July 26, 2007 - 06:47 AM

I called, got estimate ........ :eek: 170 bucks :eek: !!!! I had no idea it would be that much but still (maybe?) am interested.

Turns out I can drop it off, their right "down the road" from me !!! :thumbsup:

5 year warranty.

Are there any other simular companies out there that I can compare price?

• Denn10

Posted July 26, 2007 - 07:21 AM

there are others alot in SoCal i dont know the name but ive talked to some others, prolly just have to search for it. Was that quote for inside/outside coating and prep or what?

• Rockjockey

Posted July 26, 2007 - 07:53 AM

For that price I would be considering a stainless header.

• COAL RUN

Posted July 26, 2007 - 08:06 AM

The stanless XR'S only header is $199 & you would get some performance gain

• martinfan30

Posted July 26, 2007 - 08:34 AM

The stanless XR'S only header is $199 & you would get some performance gain

1+ on this!:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Huffa 2

Posted July 26, 2007 - 08:38 AM

Quote was for the whole ordeal .........dipped and coated inside and out.

Thought about stainless but that turns gold towards the header, I think??, really think I'd rather have the stocker coated, think it's much nicer.

I think to the stainless has ugly welds mid point going around the diameter of each pipe on the dual part don't they ?

I could call and see if they give a special price if more are interested.

:excuseme: Anyone?

See, I'm just not found of those welds at all, why did they have to do that, why not one piece? Will they get gold/blueish or not ?

Posted Image

• Rockjockey

Posted July 26, 2007 - 09:21 AM

Yes, it will get a gold tone to it after use.

Posted Image

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted July 26, 2007 - 10:19 AM

Quote was for the whole ordeal .........dipped and coated inside and out.

Thought about stainless but that turns gold towards the header, I think??, really think I'd rather have the stocker coated, think it's much nicer.

I think to the stainless has ugly welds mid point going around the diameter of each pipe on the dual part don't they ?

I could call and see if they give a special price if more are interested.

:excuseme: Anyone?

See, I'm just not found of those welds at all, why did they have to do that, why not one piece? Will they get gold/blueish or not ?

Posted Image

Stainless... hmm... check out Thunder-Alley and MRD racing exhausts, they might just make ya a custom one for cheap. Amazingly cheap.

There's a place out here (fairly cheap)... that you can get them done in black, which looks nice. Silver works too... but it'll show boot and pant singe marks.

The color change of the header is normal for anything thats not coated in a jet hot or similar. Another reason I like the black. It's a flat black... and looks nice. (Click on this link to see my DS exhaust in black before being mounted - to the right in the pic)

And the reason you see so many joints in the header... ever try and bend round tubing?? Most benders can't bend a pretzel or too tight a radius without crimping or damaging the pipe. Mandrel benders can, however it may take 2 feet of tubing to bend a small radius. What you see, is two or more pieces to get the bend they needed because you can't twist the pipe in the bender (to get the bend, curve, bend...) Make sense?? ... it's actually harder than it looks, easier then it sounds.

• exaresix

Posted July 26, 2007 - 08:22 PM

The XR joints are visually disturbing and crude. Too bad the stainless guys can't do what Honda can on their bends. Stock header for me please.

• Huffa 2

Posted July 27, 2007 - 02:17 AM

Doesn't look too bad to me RJ but another turn off for me (just realized this) is they don't have provisions for the heat sheild.

Definitly need my heat sheild so that pipe is out, not that I think I will burn my leg/pants or something, I just want it on.

Actually the gold hue looks nice against the silver motor.

• Huffa 2

Posted July 27, 2007 - 02:18 AM

The XR joints are visually disturbing and crude. Too bad the stainless guys can't do what Honda can on their bends. Stock header for me please.

So why can't they do it like Honda?

Most likely it's a million dollar machine that does it and would not pay off on such a small scale of producing them, I guess ? UPDATE - guess not because I just found this pic.

Now here is MY kind of header pipe, this is the way they should be made, nice, very nice !!

No welds and heat sheild provisions + I like the fact that the 2 into 1 junction extends father back, not sure what that would accomplish, but I like. :thumbsup:

The pic is from here and have a feeling it's a white brothers but not sure as there is no bike model info along with pic. :excuseme:

http://www.xrstuff.co.uk/index.htm

I'll have to call.

Posted Image

:excuseme: That's the only one I ever saw like that, now it's bugging me who makes it. I emailed them, will let ya all know, although no one may care? :busted:

• Huffa 2

Posted July 27, 2007 - 02:20 AM

Stainless... hmm... check out Thunder-Alley and MRD racing exhausts, they might just make ya a custom one for cheap. Amazingly cheap.

There's a place out here (fairly cheap)... that you can get them done in black, which looks nice. Silver works too... but it'll show boot and pant singe marks.

The color change of the header is normal for anything thats not coated in a jet hot or similar. Another reason I like the black. It's a flat black... and looks nice. (Click on this link to see my DS exhaust in black before being mounted - to the right in the pic)

And the reason you see so many joints in the header... ever try and bend round tubing?? Most benders can't bend a pretzel or too tight a radius without crimping or damaging the pipe. Mandrel benders can, however it may take 2 feet of tubing to bend a small radius. What you see, is two or more pieces to get the bend they needed because you can't twist the pipe in the bender (to get the bend, curve, bend...) Make sense?? ... it's actually harder than it looks, easier then it sounds.

Would the TA or MRD (if they could make one) have those welds in too ?

• Rockjockey

Posted July 27, 2007 - 07:10 AM

Looks like the White Brothers unit I bought when assembling my 440.Posted Image

• Huffa 2

Posted July 28, 2007 - 02:27 PM

Looks like the White Brothers unit I bought when assembling my 440.Posted Image

Just noticed you have the aloop kit on and just saw that they are available for the 650L.

Looks great but as I mentioned in the other post I just made, not wild about the seat graphic but overall that's a real nice XR440 RJ.

• Huffa 2

Posted July 29, 2007 - 08:23 AM

I'm going to do it, get the extreme sterling.

They sent me a brochure (tons of info) and after you read all what they do, the price doesn't seem so bad.

It lasts over 14 times longer then chrome, 140 times longer then high temp paint and even 401 (whatever that is) stainless steel will discolor and deteriorate from pitting before JH.

.....thermally degreased for 45 minutes, stripped in a blast cabinet not once but twice then after inspected it finally ready to be painted.

Temp reduction tested by Car Craft were over 300 degrees, didn't think it reduced it that much!

Wish a few of you would call, maybe the price would go down a bit ?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.