WR400 vs XR400 - followup

8 replies to this topic
  • TheBOS

Posted June 19, 2000 - 10:50 AM

Well, I purchased a 98 XR400R this weekend. I took all of your advice into consideration and then decided riding them would help make up my mind.....and it did. This being my first year of riding I decided the WR would kill me in the woods. Well, maybe it wouldn't be that bad, but the XR was a better fit for my riding style and ability right now - the next step up after the DR350, whereas the WR is a couple of steps up. Oh, and the price was right, $2800 for a 98 XR400R, in great condition with a White Bros pipe, Renthal bars and sprockets, Acerbis handguards, and a Moose skid plate.

Thanks again for the great advice. Now I am just hoping an XR400 forum will be started.......

-Brett in CT

• Bryan Bosch

Posted June 19, 2000 - 12:39 PM

Regardless, have a great time. There are tons of hop up parts for the XR and they are great bikes. Make sure to uncork the pipe, take the baffle out of the airbox, and cut the backfire screen out of the aircleaner cage. Also, when you're ready, upgrade to stiffer, progresive rate fork springs. The 97 XR 400 I rode has this mod and the suspension was plush, even on the bigger hits. I rode my 96 XR 250 for 2 years, mostly in the woods and loved it! I will be faster on the WR in time.

• jj

Posted June 19, 2000 - 01:59 PM

Bryan, I have two buddies that just bought 00 XR 400's. We were looking at the exhaust insert and it didn't look like there was anything you could do with it. There is an insert within the "insert" but it looks as though its welded in. Even if you could get it nocked loose I dont believe you can get it out the the cage it's in without cutting the whole thing apart. Do you have any suggetions?
We had thought other thank replacing it with a Vortip the only thing we could do is drill some small holes in the very back portion of the insert.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted June 19, 2000 - 03:45 PM

The EPA must have closed Honda's loop on the exhaust defuser. My 96 XR 250 and the 97 400 I rode could be removed with a single bolt. Rumor had it that Honda has jetted the bikes for the defuser removed! I know my 2fiddy ran excellent without it, even at higher altitudes. It sounds like an aftermarket pipe to me. Also, a back issue of Dirt Rider did a full blown pipe test for the XR 400 and they really like the FMF MegaMax II. The pipe was above the stock power curve everywhere, especially down low. They also like the Yosh for stealth and top end. I hope this helps!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGreg

Posted June 19, 2000 - 03:53 PM

The baffle for the '98-'99 xr400 is restricted with a small opening. The '96-'97 xr400 has the free flowing baffle that still has the spark arrestor screen on it. I have one if you want to buy it.

'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• Bryan Bosch

Posted June 20, 2000 - 05:52 PM

What do you mean by free flow baffle? My 96 XR twofiddy's baffle had a very small opening however, it was separate from the spark arrestor screen. It could be removed by unscrewing a bolt the underside of the chrome exhaust tip. The spark arrestor screen is attached to the chrome exhaust tip. Maybe I'm not following you :)

• MotoGreg

Posted June 20, 2000 - 06:20 PM

There was a story in MXA on how to hop up your xr400. It said the '98-'00 had a restricted baffle and to use the '96-'97 baffle. My buddy with a '99 bought one, the opening was like twice as big and it sounded like an aftermarket exhaust compared to the silent stocker. It was expensive from the Honda dealer, like $100 or so. Anyway he later got an e-series pipe so he's got that baffle still I'm pretty sure.

'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• RodH

Posted June 21, 2000 - 01:21 PM

I have some excellent unlorking tips for the XR400, e-mail list, and bulletin board for XR400 riders.
go to http://www.400thumpers.oz-au.com/

RodH Canberra, Australia<A HREF="http://www.400thumpers.oz-au.com" TARGET=_blank>
400 Thumpers Australia</A>
2000 WR400F See Photo's and Modifications

• TheBOS

Posted June 22, 2000 - 08:22 AM

Awesome! I have been looking for somewhere to post and read info on the XR400.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.