cylinder head breather hose. (dripped oil)?

3 replies to this topic
  • BlueHondaEater

Posted June 17, 2000 - 11:46 AM

Does anyone else get oil dripping after a ride from the (cylinder head breather hose) as it is called in the manual? I sure hope my almost new 00 wr400 isn't screwed up already. I'm pretty sure something is supposed to come out of that hose at some point since it is suspicously routed to the bottom of the bike as to not spurt all over the mill.
Thanks for any replies!

• Clark_Mason

Posted June 17, 2000 - 12:05 PM

It is normal for four strokes to vent oil into their crakcase breather hoses. On a bike like the WR/YZ with their high RPM capabiliy is is even a little more bothersome. It is normal and will continue to happen.

To help a little make sure you know how to properly check the oil and change the oil to avoid over filling which will make it worse. I only fill my oil to a level half way between the marks on the dip stick and never all the way to the top. To check the oil start the bike let it idle to get to temperature make sure you are running without the choke, after about 90seconds shut it down and check the oil level. Do not do it after riding the bike or you will get a false low reading since the majority of the oil will be in the crankcase and will proceed to overfill the bike making the situation worse.

Some people have taken the time to reroute the breather hose up and away and even put a small K&N filter on the end of the breather hose. Mine has been run in the stock location for 15months always drips and always runs great.

If you have any more questions or don't understan the forgoing just ask and the fourm will assist.

Clark

[This message has been edited by Clark Mason (edited 06-17-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • James_Dean

Posted June 18, 2000 - 07:49 PM

BHE,
My '00WR does the same, you're not alone wondering. Thanks for the tips Clark.

• gbernard

Posted June 22, 2000 - 03:05 AM

I MOVED MY HOSE SO THE OIL DRIPPED ON THE CHAIN AND FRONT SPROCKET, AND IT DOSE LEAK BAD WHEN THE OIL IS OLD AND NEEDS CHANGING. MY 98WR HAS LEAKED SINCE NEW. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.