02 WR426 questions

24 replies to this topic
  • MotoLocoPat

Posted July 29, 2007 - 12:39 AM

I own three WR426's that I use on my tours. They have 25,000, 23,000 and 19,000 mile on them respectively. NEVER had to do ANYTHING but change the oil and filters. I change the oil every tour, they average about 1000 miles. I use a Scotts stainless steel filter, expensive but you never have to buy another one. I run regualr oil so my oil changes run me about 3 dollars.

There is probably not a more reliable bike out there, XR600/650's and Suzuki 400 are in the same league.
My WR's do a lot better on jumps than my KTM's and for what you described the suspension should be fine unless you are 200 pounds plus and pretty fast.

Put a tall seat on them and it smoothes out the seat/tank junction.......
Good set of handlebars, skidplate, radiator protectors, enduro-engineering barkbusters and it is pretty well indestructible

• byggd

Posted July 29, 2007 - 08:58 AM

Ditto byggd, but i have yet to do the decomp mod. It is no big deal starting mine I have the combination down pat, and for some odd reason I like it.....:applause: kinda makes me feel like if not anything else accomplished for the day at least I can still start the beast....:ride:

I never really had a problem with the starting drill either. I was looking for a way to tame the sometimes unpredictable mid range hit. If you use the YZ ex cam it makes the power more linear and pulls even harder top end :eek: and it makes it a lot easier to start if I stall on a hill climb :busted:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Woodshop

Posted July 29, 2007 - 09:13 AM

I have a 02 wr 426 couple years now bullet proof no problems carb needed to be cleaned once other than that no problems love the bike change oil every other ride & clean air filter average ride off road 85 miles:ride:

• snowman02

Posted July 29, 2007 - 10:32 AM

I have a 02 wr 426 couple years now bullet proof no problems carb needed to be cleaned once other than that no problems love the bike change oil every other ride & clean air filter average ride off road 85 miles:ride:

Ditto, woodshop, bullet proog here as well, some carb problems, but nothing I didnt cause myself...lol, and was able to cure. Change the oil regularly, and ride till you die. :ride:

• responding

Posted July 30, 2007 - 01:17 PM

Purchased an 02 in February and paid 2300$ for it. That was mint condition, still on the origional chain and sprockets. I don't know if you'll find a deal that good, but if you do, jump on it.
As far as issues, I know of none. My factory chain stretched like a rubber-band, and within 4 months needed replaced, but I think that's to be expected. Everything else has been bullet-proof.
I am going to street legalize mine here in Utah, and have no concerns. I run these fire-roads at 80+ mph without fear of hurting the motor. I change oil every three rides (about 300mi) of hard use in the dirt. Because it's a wet clutch, I wouldn't go longer than that when dirt riding, but if street/highway riding where your not using the clutch often, you can probably go much further.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.