02 WR426 questions

24 replies to this topic
  • Appalachian DR

Posted July 25, 2007 - 11:52 AM

I'm looking into one of these bikes that has been plated to do some hard offroad riding. I've got some concerns and questions. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Is this a high maintenance bike?
How many miles between oil changes in dualsport like conditions?
Can it handle alot of miles without a rebuild or trouble?
Hows the reliability?
Whats different than the popular 450?
Can the stock suspension handle a 175 lb. rider on some nice jumps?
Any flaws from the factory to look out for?
what's a fair price for a low milage(under 1000) 02 model?

I know that's alot of questions but I didn't turn up much on the 426 when I searched it.

• snowman02

Posted July 25, 2007 - 12:17 PM

Hello Appalachian, I own a WR426 and it has been a great bike.

-It all depends on what you mean by high maintenance, I don't think so, but I am always messing around with mine weather it needs it or not.

-I change my oil after every other ride.

-About the rebuild i am not sure about.

-Reliability, well I am hard on mine, and it has yet to fail me, plus my 16 year old son rides it when he can, and niether of us have been stranded. Most reliabilty bike I have ever owned.

-Don't own a 450 and hopefully will never have too. I love my 426.

-I am 230 and I am just about ready to change my rear spring out. It is a little week but with adjustments I was able to get it to my likeing. I don't do alot of jumping though, mostly desert and trails.

-I bought mine used and have never had nor heard of any flaws in the 02 WR426. If I recall it was one of the most reliable bikes built that year.

-I paid 2450.00 for mine 2 years ago. I was offered 3200.00 for it at the beginning of summer.

One thing to keep in mind, if you do purchase a 426 or 450. Do all the free mods on these bikes, it will improve in all areas of the bike.
I hope I have been able to give you some insight, sorry not enough though.

Good luck
Snowman

• dr x

Posted July 25, 2007 - 02:07 PM

hi ..
Generally i think yams are pretty bullet proof, ive had yams for years and have never had any major problems...
as regards to maintenance the manual basically says change the oil and inspect the top end every 1000km and replace parts as required.

what i would say is these bikes often have a hard life and service history is hard to verify, so buy a bike you know the history of or add in the cost of getting the engine up to spec in your budget.

hope this helps ..... good luck

• Appalachian DR

Posted July 25, 2007 - 03:23 PM

would 1500-2000 dualsported mi. between oil changes be too much? what does it take...2 quarts? I guess the DR has spoiled me, but i don't want to be changing oil twice a month.

• dr x

Posted July 25, 2007 - 03:45 PM

im quoting yamaha intervals, its up to you how often you change you oil but 1500 - 2000 miles is stretching it a bit, my R1 gets changed every 2000 miles.

i would like to know what other members think

• byggd

Posted July 25, 2007 - 03:54 PM

would 1500-2000 dualsported mi. between oil changes be too much? what does it take...2 quarts? I guess the DR has spoiled me, but i don't want to be changing oil twice a month.

As others have stated they are bulletproof! I agree with the statement.

-Don't own a 450 and hopefully will never have too. I love my 426.

Although the 03 up 450 do have the magic "E" button.
They hold 1.4 qts with a filter change and I change mine every 500 mi or less but I'm anal when it comes to my bike.

• Brooks_Wackerman

Posted July 25, 2007 - 10:02 PM

Get one. Sweet bike.
No out of the ordinary maintanence requrements. I do the oil after 3-4 rides.
They don't like constant high speed road riding but they will go for ages without a rebuild under 'normal' riding.
Very reliable. Heaps of power.

• snowman02

Posted July 26, 2007 - 06:13 AM

As others have stated they are bulletproof! I agree with the statement.

Although the 03 up 450 do have the magic "E" button.
They hold 1.4 qts with a filter change and I change mine every 500 mi or less but I'm anal when it comes to my bike.

byggd, I know the "E" start is a nice feature but my 426 has been so damn good to me, it's going to be a sad sad day when it come time to put her in retirement. :cry:

• WR_Dave

Posted July 26, 2007 - 06:38 AM

A "looked after" WR 426 is a good buy. I would be hesitant to go 2000 mi between oil changes though. It's only 1.5 litres of oil. My personal feeling would be 1000-1200 mi. max on the oil change interval. I believe that in dual sport use the oil gets used fairly hard due to extended run times at higher speeds. It's pretty easy to change the oil on one of these bikes , so unless you are going on long road trips , I would keep the milage down as much as possible. My.02 -- WR Dave

• Appalachian DR

Posted July 26, 2007 - 12:54 PM

how is the aftermarket support?
what's a 02, thats in good shape, with less that 1000 mi. worth?
how is the power compared to a 2-stroke 250?

thanks for all the good feedback guys.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted July 26, 2007 - 01:18 PM

byggd, I know the "E" start is a nice feature but my 426 has been so damn good to me, it's going to be a sad sad day when it come time to put her in retirement. :cry:

Oh I agree completely snowman. I did the auto decompress cam mod to mine and it starts in 3 kicks cold and once when warm. :ride: I don't need no stinken E button! :foul:

• byggd

Posted July 26, 2007 - 01:23 PM

how is the aftermarket support?
what's a 02, thats in good shape, with less that 1000 mi. worth?
how is the power compared to a 2-stroke 250?

thanks for all the good feedback guys.:thumbsup:

The aftermarket support is great, just take a look in the TT store! :thumbsup:
My riding buddy rides a YZ250 2-smoke. My bike doesn't have quite the "zip" his bake has but it has a hell of a mid range hit! Grunting up a hill climb, I'll take my thumper any day!

• Appalachian DR

Posted July 26, 2007 - 01:27 PM

how expensive and hard is the decompress cam mod?

is it a bi#@h to start without it?

• dr x

Posted July 26, 2007 - 01:42 PM

when i got my yz 426 i could'nt start the thing at all, once you have the knack its easy...i can start it now no trouble in the wet, on the side of a hill after its been on its side its just not a problem

• ISBB

Posted July 26, 2007 - 02:51 PM

The autodecomp cam is around 120 bucks give or take a few from the thumpertalk oem store. swap out the cams and walla. auto decomp there is a thread in the YZ section bout how to change them out. Also while you have it open good idea to change the cam chain and cam chain tensioner.. both also cheap parts from the TT oem store and good peice of mind knowing they wont fail on you.

Aftermarket support is awesome bout the only thing lacking is premade graphics for the bike.. still a couple companies out there but most have discontinued their graphics for that bike and you would end up going custom graphics at that point.

Do the free mods and be a happy camper. I have been trying to sell mine for a while and no one seems to want it ohh well.. i do know that these things are awesome bikes. I have had mine for 4 years with no catasrophic failures. Only thing i have done to my bike is a Rear master cylinder, replaced the tank (stock wr tank lasted 3 years before it cracked) and went with a yz seat and tank setup.. Then of course the little things.. fat bars, asv's blah blah blah.. for the most part mine is completely stock (havent done the cam mod always starts 1st or 2nd kick in any condition). As long as the bike is jetted right you wont have any problems starting it with or without the cam mod..

Hope this helps in your quest. :D

• Appalachian DR

Posted July 26, 2007 - 03:42 PM

I guess the only question left is what's a fair price for an '02 with less than 1000 mi.(good shape,stock, with a title)

• ISBB

Posted July 26, 2007 - 03:45 PM

well im selling my 4 year old trooper for 2k but its not street legal and not in el minto condition (its been rode what do you think its gonna look like) but its a very well maintaned bike thanks to the fine folks at TT for tellin me how :D

• dr x

Posted July 26, 2007 - 04:56 PM

I would pay a bit more for a bike that was obviously very low hours and well looked after because it will be cheaper in the long run than buying one that needs work.

• snowman02

Posted July 26, 2007 - 05:35 PM

Oh I agree completely snowman. I did the auto decompress cam mod to mine and it starts in 3 kicks cold and once when warm. :ride: I don't need no stinken E button! :foul:

Ditto byggd, but i have yet to do the decomp mod. It is no big deal starting mine I have the combination down pat, and for some odd reason I like it.....:applause: kinda makes me feel like if not anything else accomplished for the day at least I can still start the beast....:ride:

• snowman02

Posted July 26, 2007 - 05:41 PM

I guess the only question left is what's a fair price for an '02 with less than 1000 mi.(good shape,stock, with a title)

Appa, like I said earlier two years ago I got a deal on mine for 2450.00, if i could find another low mileage, very well maintained, from a knowledgable owner I would probably pay close to the same amout as I did than. You have to take in account that the WR426/450 is IMHO the most reliable bike of it's kind on the dirt. So IMO if the bike is maintained with low hours and the owner can back up the maint. done on bike. I would buy it and ride it like I stole it....:applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.